Finding horses to ride/be around.

SnowPhony

Visit site
I moved in with OH just over a year ago and since I've moved I've only been near horses a handful of times. I miss it so much. :(

Whilst I lived at home I had a friend who's ponies I rode, a yard in the village whose youngsters I used to groom, handle and just generally play with as and when I had kept my loan horse there before having to return him and became great friends with the yard owners who took pity on my horselessness! I also had an eventer a bike ride away who I used to go to shows with and help her to keep her eventers fit.

Now I've moved I live in a city and I'm really struggling to find some horses/ people who need the help with theres.

The worst bit is I now have a job where I could very comfortably afford to buy and keep my own horse, I just don't have the time now :(

Where is the best place to make new horsey contacts locally as I'm so out of the loop now and a lack of horses in my life is actually really getting me down!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If you can't find a RS locally, where you could actually ride yourself, what about volunteering with an RDA group, an urban farm, or a rescue charity?

YasandCrystal

Visit site
You could try asking on here - say what area you are in. I reckon lots of owners would be grateful for company or extra grooming help etc with their horses if not riding also.
You are in a typical catch 22 situation. I finally have my dream home and land and never enough time to ride regularly - there is always a catch unless of course you are married to a very rich man! :D I have a new friend who rides my mare infrequently , but regularly helps with rehabilitating my young WB as she has the experience and time. I am so very grateful to her and vice versa as I have given her the opportunity to get back into horses after a 10 year break.

Last edited:

SnowPhony

Visit site
Oh there are plenty of riding schools around here but I'm not really looking for a 'riding school' type environment to be honest. I love spending time with youngsters, helping out with 'naughty' horses and generally just being around them. Can probably only spare one day a week at the moment unfortunately so sharing is probably out of the question as that is also something I've considered. I had so many contacts where I used to live and even though I've only moved 45 mins up the road it feels like a million miles away!

ESH

Visit site
What part of the country are you in? I have a horse that I have just backed and a 9 yr old one and would happily have someone come and ride out with me occassionaly.

Hanstag

Visit site
Exact same for me - moved in with the fella, better paid job but less time! :( im offering to exercise horses for people round my area as and when as it's the only way I can still be around them with my rubbish schedule!

juliette

Visit site
If you post on here were around Norwich you are and how far you are willing to travel I am sure you will find someone on here who would love you to help them.

Sadly I am too far away (Essex) but with the school holidays I am hardly getting to exercise my horse and would love to have someone to come and groom and ride him. I hate that he is losing fitness and feel he's not getting enough attention at the moment. If the right person came along I'd willingly offer horse time as long as they were reliable - ie came when they said they would and rode him well.

I am sure a well worded post could bring you what you want!!