Finding my horses original owner

Cherylx

Visit site
Hello,

As title really. I would like to try and get in touch with the person on my horses passport. I am unsure if this is the breeder or not.

All I have is a name and address. Has anyone successfully done this? How would I go about it?

hihosilver

Visit site
Yes I have twice. First one I got a letter which really helped. Second one I saw a picture on FB and recognised the same house and picture I had of my horse jumping with a different horse. I knew he came from Ireland but it was great as she broke him in and knew the breeder so I now know full history!!

Cherylx

Visit site
😂😂😂

Ah the answer, so simple. I was thinking along the lines of social media. Forgot about putting pen to paper.

That’s fab hihosilver, it’s lovely to know isn’t it.

claret09

Visit site
fortunately my horse had his breeders phone number in his passport, I was able to ring and speak to her. it was so interesting and I was really glad I had made the effort to get in contact. she was really please to hear that he was doing well. I was also able through his bs record to ring the people she sold him to and I am regularly in contact with them. I am extremely fortunate to know exactly who has had him. in 22 years he has had four owners, his breeder, the people who had him as a youngster and the people who I bought him off as a nine year old. I have had him ever since. I hope you get some joy in finding out your horses history

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I wrote the the stud where the stallion was standing to find Jay's breeder. Just a simple note to say that he was wonderful and loved, and I would love to know about his earlier life. The breeder then wrote back to say my letter had been forwarded to them by the stud, and gave me loads of details and photos.

They were glad he was in a secure home.

HashRouge

Visit site
When I bought my mare, I was also given a whole load of paperwork, which included her AHS certificate (this was before passports) and assorted addresses and phone numbers. Among them was the phone number for her breeder, so I rang her and we exchanged letters with photos. The breeder was quite infirm by this time and I think was glad to know that L was in a permanent home. I also wrote to previous owners and heard back from all of them.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I wrote to the first owner of one of my ponies and they wrote back with some lovely pictures of him as a foal :)

tatty_v

Visit site
I tracked mine down on Facebook. Was brilliant, she had loads of lovely pics of him as a youngster and an explanation for some of his more quirky characteristics. She was thrilled to hear how well he was doing so I was glad I did it. It helped that she had an unusual name and still lived in the same area!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
There is a FB group called "Trace My Horse UK", they seem to have a lot of successes. Sometimes the previous owner(s) are found, but don't want any contact with the current owner, so you'd obviously have to respect that.

I desperately wanted to find someone who'd owned my old boy when he was about 5 - 6 yo; I found a little note from the then owner in his passport which basically told me she was very fond of him.

When he was 20 years old, I put a photo of him on one of the horsey FB groups local to my area. Someone obviously saw it, and recognised him, and tagged the girl who had him before he'd gone to a trekking centre!

We got in touch, and she came to see him! It was incredibly moving, she'd last known him when he was a young horse - now she was seeing him as an old boy. We went for a ride together, where she told me that she had taught him to rear!! Her logic being that he was tending to do it anyway, and this way, he'd know when he should do it, and when he shouldn't!! Mmmm..... I SO wish I'd known that sooner, not the best of ideas IMO to teach something to rear!!

Anyway, it was interesting to say the least, meeting the person who'd had him when he was a younger boy. It explained an awful lot about him and the way he'd responded to things. It turned out that this girl had had him, but for various reasons she (as a teenager) had gone off the rails a bit (as teenagers do) and her mother had sold him without telling the daughter what had happened to him or where he'd gone. She obviously felt guilty about it, as she came up with the daughter when she visited him at my place.

He was PTS last Autumn along with his mare, they were both pairbonded so we did both the same day. I texted previous owner to let her know, bless her, she was a nice girl.

sywell

Visit site
As a breeder I always want to know what happened to the foals I bred 20 years ago so welcome emails or texts from current owners. With GDPR the PIOs cannot give out that information .The old BHD Sports Horse Annuals that were produced by Weatherbys have a lot of breeder details.

paddy555

Visit site
I was not so lucky. My horse was bred by his owner (2005 so not that long ago) he was sold as a 2yo to a friend and I bought him at 4. The friend thought he was connie X. He didn't really seem it and I couldn't work out what he was. No problem but he gradually went worse and worse ridden. By the time he was 6 he was worse and by 7 in horse hospital. Nothing found and by 8 he had tied up and gone down with a rider on top.
I came across PSSM and it seemed important to know the breed to have a better idea. His first owner's name and address were in his passport and I had been told he was sold at 2 due to an acrimonious divorce.
Found ex husband on google with a phone no so rang to try and get contact details for ex wife. Spoke to son who told me it had been very bad but it had been their horse etc.
Traced ex owner on FB. The family had an unusual name. I was positive I had the right person. The name, mentions of horses and pics on her FB page plus her son was one of her FB friends.
Pm'd her. Explained the situation, told her I wanted absolutely nothing, was not blaming anyone, wouldn't want any contact re the horse if she didn't want it all I wanted to know was breeds of mummy and daddy for the vet. She did reply but simply said I had the wrong person. Full stop, end of message.
There was no way it could have been the wrong person.
Very sad, my horse is now 14 and I will never know how he was bred.
From seeing pics online etc of other horses I am pretty sure he is highland TB cross but I would still love to know for sure.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I have done this - and breeder was delighted to know. She had sold him as a 3 year old and was so pleased to know what he has been up to in ours and his previous home I am now friended with her daughter on FB so they can all see what he's doing.