Finding new competition horse

Eventmum

Visit site
Has anyone any advice on how to find the 'holy grail' a genuine small horse capable of BE90 now and 100 in future, that is good to handle and actually likes people.

Due to injury of much loved event horse we unexpectedly found ourselves looking for another horse. Oh boy, i had forgotten what a minefield this is; we have driven miles, seen horses that dont resemble the photo/video let alone the description which in some cases was far from the reality. We have been presented with everything from nice horses, but which wouldnt actually have ability to do UA odes, to very highly strung horses that rider chose not to even get on . We have looked privately and at dealers (something i was very wary of). Now with numerous viewings and failed vettings behind us, and with the event season underway desperation is setting in. We have reasonable budget but not enormous and a rider that is very experienced and willing to school on, but still no luck.

TGM

Visit site
Has anyone any advice on how to find the 'holy grail' a genuine small horse capable of BE90 now and 100 in future, that is good to handle and actually likes people.

Due to injury of much loved event horse we unexpectedly found ourselves looking for another horse. Oh boy, i had forgotten what a minefield this is; we have driven miles, seen horses that dont resemble the photo/video let alone the description which in some cases was far from the reality. We have been presented with everything from nice horses, but which wouldnt actually have ability to do UA odes, to very highly strung horses that rider chose not to even get on . We have looked privately and at dealers (something i was very wary of). Now with numerous viewings and failed vettings behind us, and with the event season underway desperation is setting in. We have reasonable budget but not enormous and a rider that is very experienced and willing to school on, but still no luck.

We found one six years ago who has been fab and was only the second horse we tried! Took my daughter from low key pc events to successfully competing BE Novice and has qualified Badminton Grassroots, BE100u18 etc.

I wonder if you aren't being fussy enough about what horses you view, as although we only viewed two horses I did discard a lot at the advert stage! The horse we bought had never evented before but had showjumped so we knew he had jumping ability and we took him to a XC course to see what his attitude was to water, ditches etc.

I've found it often not what they say in the advert that is important, it is what they don't say! The omissions are usually the animal's weak spot!

Last edited:

Shay

Visit site
Have you tried your local BE academy trainer? This is the sort of horse that often comes on the market when young owner goes to Uni.

Anything that has "holy grail" attached to it -understandably! - tends to go through word of mouth only. Thinking back I only bought one competition horse through an advert - everything else was word of mouth and usually through trainers or other BE contacts.

The alternative it to create the horse yourself. We have something fitting that description now - but it took us nearly 3 years to make him. (And he is the one I bought through an advert..) And not for sale!

Eventmum

Visit site
I don't think we are fussy as have actually found some only for them to fail the vet. We aren't necessarily looking for finished article, we have already taken one horse to Badminton Grassroots who had done very little before he had him, but he had the right attributes and importantly the right attitude and yes it took about three years However this time round rider wants to be able to compete at BE90 straightaway and work up from there.

We avidly read between the lines in ads and ask numerous questions before we view (I agree its whats not in ad that's as important as what is) but still find that some people's perception of their horse somewhat exceeds the reality. Have tried word of mouth, trainer, farrier etc again with no luck. I know we are being specific but this is intended to be a long term horse so we want to get it right. Guess just getting a bit despondent.

Anyone recommend a good dealer in the south west?

madlady

Visit site
It might be worth contacting Liz from Blue Moon Eventing - she specifically produces young horses to event.

She did used to be based South but has moved to Ireland but I know she still has contacts and may know of someone who you can contact.

Llee94

Visit site
I don't think we are fussy as have actually found some only for them to fail the vet. We aren't necessarily looking for finished article, we have already taken one horse to Badminton Grassroots who had done very little before he had him, but he had the right attributes and importantly the right attitude and yes it took about three years However this time round rider wants to be able to compete at BE90 straightaway and work up from there.

We avidly read between the lines in ads and ask numerous questions before we view (I agree its whats not in ad that's as important as what is) but still find that some people's perception of their horse somewhat exceeds the reality. Have tried word of mouth, trainer, farrier etc again with no luck. I know we are being specific but this is intended to be a long term horse so we want to get it right. Guess just getting a bit despondent.

How about MGH sport horses run by Lucy Wiegersma and Padraig McCarthy? They always seem to have lovely horses when I see them out competing. I know somebody who bought a really nice youngster from them at BE90/100 level and within a few seasons he was competing at 2* with her.

monte1

Visit site
you could try , Shane Walsh Equestrian ?
he has some lovely youngsters, a couple of people I know bought from him and are very pleased.

ihatework

Visit site

I suppose if you want something you can be pretty sure you can hop straight on and off you go then you will need a reasonable budget.

In terms of dealers / agents - Tom Serle might be with a look? He usually has some ready to go. Otherwise there is Penhills although they may be younger/greener.

I'd ditto TGM and it might be worth looking at SJers some make the transition very easily and they are generally cheaper than eventers at the lower levels.

cundlegreen

Visit site
I suppose if you want something you can be pretty sure you can hop straight on and off you go then you will need a reasonable budget.

Agree. I've probably got what you want, but will get her out BE first to put value on her. She should be up to 100's by the summer the way she's going. Of course, nobody ever knows what a vetting might bring up. Can you not compromise if you find something that ticks most of the boxes? I suppose it must come down to price as well.

rsw200

Visit site

I had the exact same issue in December when looking for a solid BE90/100 horse that had lovely character and established enough to take out and have fun with. I thought we had a very reasonable budget but most people (particularly dealers wanted excess of 10/12k) and our max was 7.5k. After viewing 15 horses, travelling many miles and one failed vetting later I have now found my dream horse and entered our first BE90 in two weeks. Don't give up on your search yet, as I was very close to it and vowed she was the last one I would view as was just sick of the disappointment but guess it all worked out in the end!
My advice would be keep savvy and read between the lines of what the owner tell you but ultimately just go with your gut feeling after you have called/viewed videos as to whether you should go try or not. I got quick to rule out horses that at the beginning I may have considered but grew to know exactly what I was after and I didn't want to waste the owners or my time. Stay true to what you know you are looking for but be open minded as no horse is perfect and there is always a compromise to be had- for me it was the fact I had wanted a gelding but she is very unmareish and her slightly patchy XC record at Novice level but hoping by dropping her down a level and lots more schooling we can crack that! I think that it is crucial they have a nice temperate and a solid history and the rest is just down to the feeling you get when you try them and if you click!
Good luck with the search, don't give up yet! The right one is just around the corner :)

Last edited:

Batgirl

Visit site
Hazel Towers has one that has 2* evented and is for sale because it won't go higher than that, very much capable of what you ask but not what she wants, it is a fab boy! Very reasonably priced!

wench

Visit site

I bought one that pretty much meets that description for £1500. Had a few problems that needed ironing out. And I needed to learn how to ride her. If I had more time and money would no doubt be more than capable of be100. Ex showjumper

Eventmum

Visit site
Thanks all, would have considered a mare (as they seem cheaper) but no mares on our yard. WIll try the dealer suggestions made and keep on trying. Have considered an irish trip if anyone can recommend a good reputable irish dealer to contact.

elliefiz

Visit site
Thanks all, would have considered a mare (as they seem cheaper) but no mares on our yard. WIll try the dealer suggestions made and keep on trying. Have considered an irish trip if anyone can recommend a good reputable irish dealer to contact.

Talk to Rafael Sanctuary, All Star Eventing who is in Ireland and always has nice horses for sale. Or Fred Scala who has relocated from Ireland to the UK and is bringing over nice horses to sell. Both are young event riders with good eye for a horse and am sure would be able to find something to fit the budget. Or there is a lady in Ireland, Irene Lawlor, she finds nice horses. She found Sarah Ennis's Stellor Rebound who has been selected for Rio so I think it's fair to say she can spot a good one!

VRIN

Visit site

Would thoroughly recommend a trip to Ireland. I did this after a similar experience to yours and if looking again would definitely make this my first option. If you go through a good dealer you will see loads - all matching up to your expectations...

Eventmum

Visit site
Thanks all, hopefully the right horse is out there and we will keep looking; In the meantime heres my round up of the fun of buying. Sorry if sounds a little sceptical but after three months of this lets just say nothing surprises me now!!

Now routinely googling mobile numbers on ads listed as private and frequently find the number against loads of ads for other horses, my favourite so far is a linked ad that stated 'lots of others available please ring', its just misleading and wrong to portray as private when clearly not the case and personally thats enough to put me off.

And dont get me started on the sellers who dont answer the phone or place an ad and then say not around for viewing at weekends, I can understand professionals who are out competing or teaching but these are supposedly private ads (umm think we covered that one above) after all odd not being available at weekends as thats when us hard working people (who work to pay for our hobby) are likely to want to view.

Then there are the horses that have competed and been regularly placed but no trace of them anywhere on internet under any name. Nor the supposed rider either in some cases.

Horse did xyz in Ireland but not quite sure how as seems to have difficulty doing just x now.

Done a training show... cant fathom this one cos surely either training or a show?. And of courseit did really well.

Any finally the last one rider found she liked when we googled we found some very unsettling information about the sellers!!

Thank God for the internet, it has made it harder for the scammers and liars and cheats to succeed.

Oh well back to the computer to see if any other possibles have been listed.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Thanks all, hopefully the right horse is out there and we will keep looking; In the meantime heres my round up of the fun of buying. Sorry if sounds a little sceptical but after three months of this lets just say nothing surprises me now!!

Now routinely googling mobile numbers on ads listed as private and frequently find the number against loads of ads for other horses, my favourite so far is a linked ad that stated 'lots of others available please ring', its just misleading and wrong to portray as private when clearly not the case and personally thats enough to put me off.

And dont get me started on the sellers who dont answer the phone or place an ad and then say not around for viewing at weekends, I can understand professionals who are out competing or teaching but these are supposedly private ads (umm think we covered that one above) after all odd not being available at weekends as thats when us hard working people (who work to pay for our hobby) are likely to want to view.

Then there are the horses that have competed and been regularly placed but no trace of them anywhere on internet under any name. Nor the supposed rider either in some cases.

Horse did xyz in Ireland but not quite sure how as seems to have difficulty doing just x now.

Done a training show... cant fathom this one cos surely either training or a show?. And of courseit did really well.

Any finally the last one rider found she liked when we googled we found some very unsettling information about the sellers!!

Thank God for the internet, it has made it harder for the scammers and liars and cheats to succeed.

Oh well back to the computer to see if any other possibles have been listed.

You are so right about the internet. Why do sellers put rubbish information when its so easy to check out a horse's record? If you go on the BE site and look at the horses for sale, some people have a very odd idea of what their horse is worth compared to its BE record. I saw one on there to make a 4* horse, wanted about £20,000 for it. It had never managed to get a clear SJ in about three seasons!

Horsemad12

Visit site
I would look for a nice 5yrs old that hasn't been spoilt if the jockey is experienced, you should quickly be able to get out doing some 90's with an aim of 100's by the middle of the year.

You will get a better horse for your money and not get someone else's issues!

AnShanDan

Visit site
I would look for a nice 5yrs old that hasn't been spoilt if the jockey is experienced, you should quickly be able to get out doing some 90's with an aim of 100's by the middle of the year.

Me too. You should be able to get a nice 5 or 6 year old, unspolit and ready to do a BE 90 now and 100 later in the year. It is not a big ask for a normal well schooled horse to do BE100.

ljohnsonsj

Visit site

This. Then you are either only going up in terms of producing the horse and having a long term horse to take through the levels, or if it doesn't go up through the levels you can sell it for a profit. A win win all round :) I find it's often easier to take a young horse and teach it, than try to iron out bad habits of an experienced horse

Eventmum

Visit site
We have decided that a nice 5 year old is the way to go. Jockey very experienced done BE BE100, all riding club champs and used to bringing on to that level. Now just need to find one.... Wish me luck

MagicMelon

Visit site
Might be worth asking round your local PC and RC's (since there should be lots of BE90 horses at this level) - they may know of one for sale which will hopefully then come with references? My mare would suit the bill but she's not for sale ;)

Are you sure your budget is right? Sounds obvious but if its a bit on the low side then you will attract the dodgier ones, there will be nice ones amongst them but it'll be much harder to weed them out! If I'm honest I've never had a problem finding a horse, but then I put a huge priority on temperament - with that, everything else is pretty straight forward. I've only ever turned down 2 horses I've tried! Make sure you're asking the right questions in the initial phone call, get video clips etc. before you can judge if its worth going to see? If you want one doing BE90's then obviously you can see their record for a good idea of what they're like.

Eventmum

Visit site
Think budget fine as said previously have found but then vetting failures which to be fair wasnt for things the sellers would have necesaary been aware of.
Doesnt need to have actually done BE90, just be capable, happy to do couple of BE80 first. Yeah tried pony club, riding club, local wanted ads, national wanted ads but seem to either be mares (which we cant have) have an 'issue' or are ridiculously priced. Not looking for totally finished, paid relatively little for last horse who was amazing and budget much much bigger this time but still no luck�� also doesnt help want 15.2 -16hh max and most seem to be much bigger and therefore too big for small rider. Asking so many questions when ringing i could go on mastermind with their horses as specialist subject but reality not matching when viewed, was same when searching for riders 14.2hh so guess nothing changes

Mickyjoe

Visit site
Hi Eventmum, tried to pm you but can't for some reason. If you do venture to Ireland I have one that might fit the bill. 158cms, was rsv champ riding horse at royal Dublin, and has jumped to 1m10 and evented with wins and placings EI100.

now_loves_mares

Visit site
https://www.facebook.com/permalink....2095537374&fref=nf&pnref=story.unseen-section

Gortmore stables in Ireland? I bought mine from there (who wasn't homebred by them; he's average in many ways but really well started and does exactly what it says on the tin) but I know several horses they've sold and have all done the job they were meant to do.

They have this youngster:

http://www.irishhorsegateway.ie/ads/talented-young-horse/

And this proven horse, but a mare.
http://www.irishhorsegateway.ie/ads/super-junior-eventershowjumper/