Finding new rides?

Busy mare

Visit site
How do you find new rides? Bridle paths etc? We have minimal road hacking (yay). I’m new to the area so need to find some routes. Thank you.

teapot

Visit site
Ordance survey maps - either pay to use their apps/maps, or you can view them via bingmaps for free :)

Reactions: J&S
Visit site
Ordance survey maps - either pay to use their apps/maps, or you can view them via bingmaps for free :)

Didn't know this, that's good. I use outdooractive.com to plan/track routes. In Essex we have East Anglian Farm Rides (farmrides.com) which provides off road hacking - I think similar schemes operate in other areas of the country and these routes won't be shown on OS maps.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
OS maps as suggested but it's also worth looking into local bridleway or riding groups and schemes like TROT or local estate/farms that might offer their own access scheme.

Busy mare

Visit site
OS maps as suggested but it's also worth looking into local bridleway or riding groups and schemes like TROT or local estate/farms that might offer their own access scheme.

Didn't know this, that's good. I use outdooractive.com to plan/track routes. In Essex we have East Anglian Farm Rides (farmrides.com) which provides off road hacking - I think similar schemes operate in other areas of the country and these routes won't be shown on OS maps.

thank you will check it out.

phizz4

Visit site
https://www.rowmaps.com/
Type in your chosen location, choose OS from the map options and all rights of ways are shown in different colours. You can ride on bridle ways, restricted byways and boats''. I usually pre-walk or mountain bike planned routes to check out the surfaces, parking etc. If you suggest where you want to ride posters on here can suggest routes. I can give you ideas for the Midlands, Cannock Chase, Peak District and Dartmoor.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’d find a local horsey fb group and see if someone local would be willing to show you a few routes? A bonus of meeting new likeminded people in your new area but also I tried a map when we moved here and found a few bridleways to come to a dead end or impassable which was a complete faff.

tiga71

Visit site
I use the council iMaps, very good for finding ROW.

Also join local FB pages. Sussex has a Hacking buddies page which is good for finding people to ride with and new places to explore. Also the local endurance FB page and Fun rides pages. You can go on organised rides and check out the area for exploring on your own.

coblets

Visit site
Bingmaps is very useful but I’ve found it a little outdated in some places (I use it mostly for footpaths though). A sense of adventure is definitely needed when following unknown bridleways.

Whereabouts are you OP, someone on here may be able to help?

Dave's Mam

Visit site
If you're on FB, look for local Bridleway groups, we have one for Nottinghamshire run by the local ABOs & you might also find others to ride with, if you like company.

Bluewaves

Visit site
So jealous of you English and Welsh people with your rights of way. Ireland is a whole different ball game. At my last yard there were a couple of lovely off road tracks that were rights of way. My current yard has lovely quiet roads but I’ve yet to find a nearby off road right of way or path.

mini_b

Visit site
Getting hold of the definitive map is easy for some areas & next to impossible for some. In Nottinghamshire, it's only available by appointment, whilst some publish online.

ah I didn’t realise this!
Mine is available online but because others are recommending other maps I thought I was missing a trick.

JanS18

Visit site
The best way to find bridleways is to check your areas local definitive map. This lists every legally acknowledged public right of way.

You should be able to find the definitive map for your area on the county council website. However, this post on finding bridleways is really handy, as it takes you straight to the map.

Bernster

Visit site
The links above are very helpful,thx. I’ve googled this but am none the wiser, can you ride on the ones marked with green dashes and diamonds? The os map I’m getting doesn’t say what those are, and google isn’t helping!

EnduroRider

Visit site
The links above are very helpful,thx. I’ve googled this but am none the wiser, can you ride on the ones marked with green dashes and diamonds? The os map I’m getting doesn’t say what those are, and google isn’t helping!

On the 1:25k scale OS the green diamonds denote a Recreational Route. Whether or not you can ride it will depend on the type of dashes as could be a footpath, bridleway or byway.

mini_b

Visit site

which map are you looking at as sometimes the key is different.

Short green dashes are usually footpaths and long green dashes can denote bridleways. These can also be pink. Diamonds are usually a route or trail which I’ve found are only footpaths around me.
Big circular dots are a restricted byway which you can use.

i often go have a bit of a reccy on foot if it’s not miles away!

Bernster

Visit site
I think it’s the os map but annoyingly the green ones are covered up by purple lines so it’s not easy to see! Bit confusing to try and work out whether it’s big or little dashes ?

JanS18

Visit site

Typically, bridleways are denoted by a dashed purple line with an overlaid diamond. If you're looking at definitive maps, which area are you looking at specifically? I'll happily take a look for you.