Finding pedigree with limited info

AFB

Visit site
I have an 18 month old show cocker that came via the RSPCA, so I have no details of his 'proper' name or breeding - no reason for needing it but I'm curious and I'd like to know more about him.

Is there any way of searching litters by DOB & a rough idea of where in the country he came from, or am I at a loss with just that?

I've played around on a few pedigree websites and had no joy so far.

Thanks

Bellasophia

Visit site
For me this is an impossible task..
How do you know he is a “ show cocker”?
if you have no kennel name..you have no connection to his breeding.
Finding a precise date of birth( and do you even have that?) and connecting him to a litter will be imprecise .

Love him for who he is…I bet he’s a lovely looking boy for you to say he’s from show lines…train him up and be proud of nhis achievements,,,,,,,,,,and let it go.

minesadouble

Visit site
For me this is an impossible task..
How do you know he is a “ show cocker”?
if you have no kennel name..you have no connection to his breeding.
Finding a precise date of birth( and do you even have that?) and connecting him to a litter will be imprecise .

Love him for who he is…I bet he’s a lovely looking boy for you to say he’s from show lines…train him up and be proud of nhis achievements,,,,,,,,,,and let it go.

I assumed the OP meant the dog is a show cocker type rather than a working cocker type?

OP try joining a FB show cocker group and asking on there.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
If the DOB is accurate you could buy the KC breed records supplement for that quarter and trawl through but with about 25000 cockers registered a year it'd be very tedious, and that's assuming he was registered. Is the breeder's name recorded on the microchip as the first keeper?

AFB

Visit site
Absolutely show cocker type - most definitely not a worker by looks and yes they are very distinctly different IMO too!

Sounds like FB groups are the way to go in that case, thank you for those suggestions - @blackcob I believe I have a correct DOB but it's on the cusp of the quarterly cut off and I don't think I'm invested enough to trawl through 50k, but thank you, much appreciated suggestion.

Microchip wise it was done by the breeder along with his first vacc. hence having a rough idea where he came from as I have his original vacc. card, however microchip doesn't show a first reg. and was switched to RSPCA prior to me to that's the only history I can see on it so I think I've hit a dead end there.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Agree probably start with chip and DOB and go through Facebook groups and breed registries, pity it's not my breed as I love doing stuff like that :p
This is why it would be good if all breed clubs/registries ran databases, but hey ho.....

Bellasophia

Visit site
to mines a double….I don’t disagree with you…but finding the breeder of a show cocker was the original question.
Also from the first post a “show cocker “could be an ex show dog….or more precisely a “show type “ cocker…vastly different scenarios.