fingernails ripping through winter gloves - reccs please?

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
I've got rock hard nails (good!), but they shred the fingertips of my yard/riding gloves in under a fortnight at the moment (bad).

I really like the cheapie wooly pimple gloves as they're just the right thickness and warmth for both yard work and hacking in Winter (so long as it stays above freezing), but it's costing me more to keep replacing them than a more expensive pair that lasted would.

Any recommendations for nail-proof not-too-thick winter gloves please? At the moment I'm reluctant to splash out on a really pricey pair in case my nails go through them too.

Love

Visit site
I'm not sure whether it would help, but normally I go through gloves like nothing just due to wear and tear, but last year I found that if I wore a pair of bog standard wooly magic gloves with a pair of equally bog standard good hands track gloves over the top, I got the warmth and grip I need and no holes like usual.

Not sure how they will withstand your nails - mine are hopelessly brittle but worth a try and cheap as chips! :)

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Any fleece gloves last ok, even the thin ones from pound shops. If you don't want too much warmth try the old fashioned string gloves made by Mountain Horse. Woolen knitted gloves will last a few weeks. Stretchy knitted magic gloves only last about one wear. Old fashioned pimple dot gloves are thicker, warmer, not stretchy and last forever despite being knitted, but are almost impossible to find now. Sealskinz gloves are not that warm and are close fitting enough to make dealing with buckles etc easy, plus they're waterproof.

Make sure that you buy a big enough glove size to accommodate long nails. If nails constantly press on the ends because the finger space isn't quite long enough, it wears the gloves out quicker.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

@bahhumbug - they're quite short but they grow so fast even if they're cut right back they're past the tips of my fingers in under a week. It must be all that standing in manure I do :)

Nicnac

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

@bahhumbug - they're quite short but they grow so fast even if they're cut right back they're past the tips of my fingers in under a week. It must be all that standing in manure I do :)

In under a week :eek:

Maybe I'll go and stand in my muck heap for a bit to strengthen mine up! Will at least give me warm feet :p