FIREWORKS Why oh why!!!!!!

willhegofirst

Visit site
Years ago a the neighbours to the yard a friend kept her horse had a huge display without giving the YO any notice, two horses were PTS when they went through post and rail fencing, one was inpailed, The other broke a leg. Several others were injured as well, no comeback from the neighbour whatsoever.

Pen

Visit site
It's the 'industrial' size of fireworks available to the public these days that is the problem as mentioned previously. Domestic displays should be, as they were years ago, limited to 'domestic' size fireworks. I suppose all we can do is keep signing the petitions to restrict them and the dangerous Chinese lanterns which need banning also.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
The problem round here is someone or other has a display every night for the best part of a fortnight. Social clubs, village halls, football clubs, you name it, they seem to organise a bonfire night do, none of which seem to be on 5th November! If we cant get them banned, maybe there would be a better chance of getting them banned on every night other than the 5th November which is what its all about. Im quite lucky as our yard, although not in the middle of nowhere, is far enough away from other property that fireworks dont come right overhead. The poster that mentioned how loud they seem is spot on though, Im not sure whether there is some super duper new firework this year but every night we have been subjected to the most awful machine gun type bang bang bang accompanied by lots of flashing. When we look outside we cant see any obvious source so can only assume these are reverberating from afar :(

ShadowHunter

Visit site
poster that mentioned how loud they seem is spot on though, Im not sure whether there is some super duper new firework this year but every night we have been subjected to the most awful machine gun type bang bang bang accompanied by lots of flashing. When we look outside we cant see any obvious source so can only assume these are reverberating from afar :(

This absolutely. the loudest ones we had couldn't even be seen. Fireworks are in need of a serious downsizing.

maxapple

Visit site
It is definitely getting worse. We live in London and they have been going off until midnight since Thursday so far. Walking the dogs this morning there was firework debris all over the place.

Also driving home on my scooter last night through London (11pm ish) a firework just missed hitting me. It was either aimed at me or to hit a car I'm sure. Had I been knocked off I would have really hurt myself.

I work in a school. On Friday we had a group of teenage boys (their school is on half term) letting fireworks off on the common opposite our school at 3.30pm. This is a common used by people taking kids home from our school and a junior and infant school on the same road.

They are so dangerous I can't believe they are available for anyone to buy and there are no regulations.

shannonandtay

Visit site
They've started here already this evening and I thought we might have got it over and done with!! Since when did guy Fawkes become more celebrated than Santa, being hung drawn and quartered is just too good for some people ��

Limbo1

Visit site
Horses round here seem to be fine. I think it is because e have military firing, bombing, flares. helicopter gun ships etc regularly they must think fireworks are just brighter versions! I went to check on the pony one night as he is kept on his own and was worried, I woke him up! He was more scared of me checking than the school display over the road. Must be terrible for animals not used to it.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think the general public think horses come under general farm livestock (and generally people dont inform farmers they're going to let off fireworks) and it simply doesn't cross their mind the devastation fireworks can cause animals. I'm very lucky where I live as my nearest ones where about 4 miles away and tiny thankfully. But I hate to think what people do if they're close to a built up area or near a proper organised display!

MargotC

Visit site
I think the general public think horses come under general farm livestock (and generally people dont inform farmers they're going to let off fireworks) and it simply doesn't cross their mind the devastation fireworks can cause animals. I'm very lucky where I live as my nearest ones where about 4 miles away and tiny thankfully. But I hate to think what people do if they're close to a built up area or near a proper organised display!

Quite possible.

Unfortunately I have known a fatal incident with livestock over fireworks (ended with one dead bull) so they are certainly not 'firework proof' as some people might think. If only people would use what's between their ears!

gnubee

Visit site
It would be nice to see some restrictions on the size and dates of domestic use, but I don't see it happening any time soon. I'm really lucky that none of the animals I've ever had have been bothered by them. The cats stay in just in case but never seem bothered. All the horses stand and watch them. From the thread and others I've seen on Facebook recently it seems way more people than I would have expected seem to have issues with their animals though, but before that I would generally not think to warn people if I was having fireworks because I have never expected it to generally be an issue. Just saying, it might not be that people don't think or don't care but that their experiences have not led them to expect there will be a problem.

Auslander

Visit site
I am not ashamed at all to admit that, when the postman left a package for the firework freak neighbours in my porch the next morning - I drew a really tiny willy on it before shoving it through their gates. Childish, but it made me feel much better

NZJenny

Visit site
It's the same here sadly, year after year. Not to mention that it's spring here and in some places a really dry one, so fire works just make no sense. It's a huge exercise for the fire brigade as well as animal owners, the SPCA and vets. Why we feel the need to celebrate a failed French terrorist in NZ, is truly beyond me.

fatpiggy

Visit site
It is definitely getting worse. We live in London and they have been going off until midnight since Thursday so far. Walking the dogs this morning there was firework debris all over the place.

Also driving home on my scooter last night through London (11pm ish) a firework just missed hitting me. It was either aimed at me or to hit a car I'm sure. Had I been knocked off I would have really hurt myself.

I work in a school. On Friday we had a group of teenage boys (their school is on half term) letting fireworks off on the common opposite our school at 3.30pm. This is a common used by people taking kids home from our school and a junior and infant school on the same road.

They are so dangerous I can't believe they are available for anyone to buy and there are no regulations.

I used to swap emails with a girl, although we never actually met. She told me how she had walked up to meet her little lad from PRIMARY school and saw other children from the school letting fireworks off on the pavement just around the corner from the school gates - which means they had been carrying them in the school bags all day. That's nice and safe, isn't it?

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Years ago a the neighbours to the yard a friend kept her horse had a huge display without giving the YO any notice, two horses were PTS when they went through post and rail fencing, one was inpailed, The other broke a leg. Several others were injured as well, no comeback from the neighbour whatsoever.

You should have comeback under civil law - neighbour principle

See link to Wikipedia -

In summary a person causes "harm" to anothers person or property, they are veiwed as having failed to discharge their duty of care to you, the harm which occurred must be a reasonable foreseeable result of the defendant's conduct:

1.Was the harm reasonably foreseeable?
2.Was there a requisite degree of proximity between the claimant and the defendant
3.Is it fair, just and reasonable to impose a duty of care; are there precluding public policy concerns

Hanno Verian

Visit site
You should have comeback under civil law - neighbour principle

See link to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_of_care_in_English_law

In summary a person causes "harm" to anothers person or property, they are veiwed as having failed to discharge their duty of care to you, the harm which occurred must be a reasonable foreseeable result of the defendant's conduct:

1.Was the harm reasonably foreseeable?
2.Was there a requisite degree of proximity between the claimant and the defendant
3.Is it fair, just and reasonable to impose a duty of care; are there precluding public policy concerns

Incomplete posting -

Remember the Burdon of Proof in Civil Law (Balance of Probability) is not the same as in Criminal Law (Beyond all Reasonable Doubt), from memory you have three years from the harm becoming apparent.

As long as you can attribute the harm to a specific event or action ie neighbour having firework display next to your stables, rather than a number of your neighbours having firework displays and you discovering the harm the next day, but being unable to attribute it to a single action.

If you have legal advice through membership of an organisation or insurance policy use it, if not try no win no fee.....

fatpiggy

Visit site
The problem round here is someone or other has a display every night for the best part of a fortnight. Social clubs, village halls, football clubs, you name it, they seem to organise a bonfire night do, none of which seem to be on 5th November! If we cant get them banned, maybe there would be a better chance of getting them banned on every night other than the 5th November which is what its all about. Im quite lucky as our yard, although not in the middle of nowhere, is far enough away from other property that fireworks dont come right overhead. The poster that mentioned how loud they seem is spot on though, Im not sure whether there is some super duper new firework this year but every night we have been subjected to the most awful machine gun type bang bang bang accompanied by lots of flashing. When we look outside we cant see any obvious source so can only assume these are reverberating from afar :(

The reason why so few are actually on Nov 5th is because they are money-makers for the club and if 4 local events hold one on the same night the income is potentially a quarter of what it might have been. I used to be a member of two local RCs and both would contact each other with a proposed list of show dates to minimize the risk of clashing, especially if any were qualifiers.

[100323]

Visit site
There were severasl lorries full of fireworks stolen from Kimbolton A few weeks ago. These were all the super big display type fireworks. They must have gone somewhere. Probably in extra noisy back yard displays. I have been outside with the ponies several evenings this month. The amount of extra loud firewoks seemed a lot more this year. There did seem less fireworks going off in the village this year though. I would not have been able to hang onto my pony if any real big ones had gone of near.
The main problem with the fireworks is the not knowing when and where they are going to go off. My pony is really scared of fireworks and if any were set off close he would run, and I would be liable for any damage he caused, not the person who set the fireworks off.

muckypony

Visit site
I am not ashamed at all to admit that, when the postman left a package for the firework freak neighbours in my porch the next morning - I drew a really tiny willy on it before shoving it through their gates. Childish, but it made me feel much better

Hahahaha This has made my day :D :D

This was my first 'firework season' at new yard so have been really worried, my bigger boy is enough of a stress head anyway and the slightest noises can upset him. I've had them for a good 2 weeks now and he is absolutely fine as long as he can see them. Leaving out was going to be my plan but the weather was so foul on Friday they just wanted to be in. Fortunately my other two are completely unfazed by them, don't even flinch, so it calms him down quite a lot.

The lady that owns the yard (her house, just me on yard) told me how the neighbors once had fireworks without advising. They had a pony in unfortunately with lami and they set off the fireworks which must have been about 5m away from the stables.... Poor horse completely freaked out, had to have a vet out to sedate but was too late and already caused too much damage to his feet and had to be PTS the following day. She must have put the fear of God into them as they have never had them since.

It does amaze me that a) people will choose to pay more money to have a rubbish display at home over £5 to see a great public display and b) that they are openly sold to the public when some people are just so thick!!

smja

Visit site
Thankfully our horses are ok, but my biggest gripe was being in my local supermarket, which had two pop up stalls next to each other; one for fireworks, one for the Royal British Legion.
It was truly disheartening to see the horde of people, most of whom were not wearing a poppy, crowding round to get fireworks whilst completely ignoring the veteran manning the other stand.
Priorities, people.

CherryTree

New User
Visit site
Well mine has always been ok, I was the owner that always said oh mine doesn't bother with loud bangs, he doesn't bat an eyelid at them.

Then this year they had a display in the village about 40 mtrs away, the weather was as still as it could be and the fireworks were aimed so that they were pretty much exploding over the horses. The sound (which was unbelievably loud) was hitting the houses behind and echoing back into the field and I can honestly say I have never seen horses so terrified. And I could do nothing other than stand in the field and pray for the display to be over quickly :(.

Molasses

Visit site
This is the worst year yet :-(
horses are mostly fine, but one of my dogs is inconsolable and it's so frustrating not being able to help her apart from calmers and radio on loud, nothing really works. why are explosives on sale to the general public? i can't fathom it

i've joined the petition and fbook group who are asking people to log date/time/length of fireworks for their evidence gathering database

JOIN https://www.facebook.com/groups/FireworkABatement/
SIGN https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/109702

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Write to your MPs people! Ranting here is no good.

I wrote several letters to my MP after a cow was killed. Nothing has happened as it seems an isolated case. Many people would like the move to ban public sales and only have planned local displays which would be most sensible.

I urge you to go to gov.uk and find where to write to your MP.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I suspect even if there is a ban on public purchase, plenty of people will still get hold of them. The internet, off the back of a lorry, round the back of a pub. After all, it isn't all that difficult to buy a firearm if you know someone who knows someone. A few years back my manager's boyfriend who was a fireman, so should have known better, "got hold" of a industrial sized Catherine wheel, via his father, who knew it was hookey. They attached it to the garden fence and lit it and it promptly destroyed 3 entire fence panels. Served them right. Call me mean spirited if you like, but I'm always less than heartbroken when someone blows their fingers off, or it literally backfires on them because they were doing something they shouldn't have been with it. When I was a kid 40 odd years ago, rockets only went up 40 feet if you were lucky and mostly the fireworks, well the ones we could afford anyway, were pretty colours and almost silent. Unfortunately, the idiots, ie teenaged and twenty something men are only interested in the biggest bang for their buck so three guesses which type sells best and is abused most?

Finlib

Visit site
After all the problems saturday night i went down the barn on Sunday morning to find a small cat hiding there .He/She was with my barn cats and joined them for breakfast seems frendly and in too good condition to be a stray so I wonder if it took off scared of the fireworks .Thought now it was quiet it would find its way home but no we still have it!!!!! Now trying to sort out if someone has lost it.If not claimed I will keep him/her lets hope neutered or i'll be sorting out kittens!!!!!
Fireworks nothing but trouble!!!!! ,

fatpiggy

Visit site
After all the problems saturday night i went down the barn on Sunday morning to find a small cat hiding there .He/She was with my barn cats and joined them for breakfast seems frendly and in too good condition to be a stray so I wonder if it took off scared of the fireworks .Thought now it was quiet it would find its way home but no we still have it!!!!! Now trying to sort out if someone has lost it.If not claimed I will keep him/her lets hope neutered or i'll be sorting out kittens!!!!!
Fireworks nothing but trouble!!!!! ,

Put some notices up on phone poles. We had a stray cat turn up on the farm where I kept my girl and some weeks later by sheer chance I rode a different route and spotted a sign on a pole. Well there couldn't be many missing long-haired tabby cats around the area, so I rang the contact number and when the lady stopped crying she came straight over and luckily the cat was around. It turned out he had done a bunk from a local cattery and had come across country for several miles and had been gone for 6 weeks. He was so matted and filthy that at first his owner didn't recognise him but luckily her husband did. Cue more tears from the lady! Another week or so and he wouldn't have survived because apparently he was clueless about hunting etc and certainly was as thin as a lath.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Bumping this up again, please sign and share it, we need more signatures, seems to be the only way, keep bombarding government with it in the hope they wake up and admit the current laws are not and never have been ,sufficient or enforceable.
If people behaved themselves we wouldn't need a police force so until then keep signing please and sharing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FireworkABatement/

we are up to about 53,000 so far, thank you who have signed and shared.

Here's some more to show the die hards that won't accept it scares people's pets

https://www.facebook.com/FireworkDamage/?fref=photo

Last edited:

Finlib

Visit site
very rural community here so shared on all the horse/farm facebook groups and with all my facebook friends who have shared with their facebook friends .It has gone on the community news letter online and hard copy which covers all the villages arond here notified local pubs and vets and animal care services .In good condition but young and a little nervous.I am happy for him/her to stay just don't want to cat nap someones cat!