Fireworks WWYD?

Hack4fun

Visit site
For the second night running the golf club next door have had a firework display. I reckon it is about 300m from the turnout area where my three horses are kept. Luckily I was here and could go out to check up on them while this went on - they were a bit agitated and charging around. Luckily they did not come to harm.

Do I complain? Would it make any difference? What are the best ways to keep horses calm while this is going on? Please share views and experiences.

WelshD

Visit site
I think I would be inclined to contact them and ask them to give you a heads up of several days in future

If it's been really dry near you as it's been in most parts of the UK I would seriously be questioning whether it was wise to be having fireworks. My neighbouring recreation field called a display off a few weeks back because of the dry weathee without anyone having to ask. The thought of a stray firework near tinder dry grass, stables and hay doesn't bear thinking about

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
I think I would be inclined to contact them and ask them to give you a heads up of several days in future

If it's been really dry near you as it's been in most parts of the UK I would seriously be questioning whether it was wise to be having fireworks. My neighbouring recreation field called a display off a few weeks back because of the dry weathee without anyone having to ask. The thought of a stray firework near tinder dry grass, stables and hay doesn't bear thinking about

Agree

Shay

Visit site
Different horses react differently. Some are better out so they can run off their fear. Some feel safer in. Some do better with a radio playing, or even a touch of sedation. Others are simply not phased and like watching the pretty lights.

My concerns would be twofold - the chance of a spark right now being uppermost. But also just the notice so you can check on the horses and move them if necessary. Legally the club have a right to hold a display (although the fire brigade might disagree depending on where you are!) so perhaps a calm and polite word asking for notice so you can ensure proper care for your horses?

Antw23uk

Visit site
I should imagine there will be some kind of licence required for these things and with that Risk Assessment requirements. I would speak with the club first and mention you would want to speak to the person who did the risk assessment for the display because if your anything like we are its tinder dry out there and putting on a fire works display is downright dangerous! Failing that I would speak to your council who give them there licence to serve/ alcohol ect and see if they actually are allowed to have these displays.

Good luck.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
might be worth talking to your local fire brigade to get their views on it and go from there. at a minimum i would ask them to give you notice but the threat of fire would be my main concern as it would put your horses in danger as well as local people..its madness to risk it ....

Cobbytype

Visit site
There is Defra policy on fireworks which states: 'Fireworks must not be set off near livestock or close to buildings that
house livestock, or near to horses in fields.' The supporting laws are the Firework Regulations 2004 and the Animal Welfare Act 2006. There's no legal definition of 'near to' under our domestic laws as it depends on factors such as the type of fireworks used and the landscape.

Velcrobum

Visit site
There is Defra policy on fireworks which states: 'Fireworks must not be set off near livestock or close to buildings that
house livestock, or near to horses in fields.' The supporting laws are the Firework Regulations 2004 and the Animal Welfare Act 2006. There's no legal definition of 'near to' under our domestic laws as it depends on factors such as the type of fireworks used and the landscape.

Wish I had known that when next door had fireworks that were landing on top of my American barn a few years ago. However I turned all the lights on including the floodlights and pointedly had the hosepipe spraying water onto the roof. OH forbade me to say anything. Fortunately the boys were not overly bothered as I also turned the radio up very loud.