Fireworks

Wishfilly

Visit site
Someone is letting off fireworks intermittently tonight, loud enough where I am that I think the horses will hear them at the yard (albiet a lot quieter than they are here). The fields are, of course, wet and slippery at the moment.

I don't have a question or a point, but it's just making me feel stressed. I'm considering getting dressed again and driving up to the yard (only about a 10 minute drive away) but realistically it'll be pitch black and hard to even find/see the horses, and I'm not sure what I'll be able to do if there is an issue.

Maybe I am just grumpy but I also feel it's a bit antisocial to be letting them off at this time in an area with lots of young children who will be trying to sleep! It's normally super quiet around here at this time!

setterlover

Visit site
I sympathize it's so hard to know what to do but it is very easy to get injured yourself and knocked over in this sort of situation.As there is not much you can do it might be best to sit tight and wait.
They may cope better than you think.
Set your alarm for dawn and go up to the yard as early as you can to sort out any problems.
People don't seem to worry about livestock when setting off fireworks it's very upsetting.
Where we used to live this happened all the time .We moved 14 years ago and where we are is very very rural and we have no problems with this now.
If this is happening regularly try to put the word out that you have livestock sensitive to fireworks contact any local village/ town groups so they can let you know when firework parties are happening.
Post on any village notice boards a contact number for people to let you know if they are setting of fireworks.
All you can do is get it out there that you need to be in the loop.
Hope all is well in the morning.

Last edited:

Chappie

Visit site
Wishfilly I hope they were okay?

I had fireworks last night too, but thankfully distant enough not to be an issue - rare dry cold clear night so I did wonder if they would start up.

Really anxious about the weekend, as forecast here is same - typical - literally four solid weeks of heavy rain and strong wind, the fields here are saturated, and we have another two days of heavy rain forecast yet - and bonfire night ends up with the right conditions for fireworks!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Fingers crossed everything was ok @Wishfilly 🤞🏻

I’m secretly hoping this weekend’s planned displays are rained off as I’m moving my youngster home from schooling livery on Friday. Fortunately the ones already at home are super chilled about fireworks (and they’ll all be in overnight anyway) but it is a worry with the newbie 😬

smolmaus

Visit site
Fingers crossed everyone is fine Wishfilly!

We have had Halloween fireworks going off near home every weekend for the last 3 weeks and then most evenings last week. My poor cats have been driven to distraction. The very sensitive boy has had a flare up with his eyes from the stress and made himself bleed from scratching. I HATE them 🤬

I have only heard a couple at the yard the last few nights. Far enough away that pony didn't even notice (thankfully, as I was on board and she was in a spooky mood anyway), but they are used to pheasant shoots I suppose. It's such a nightmare, I don't know how all the stress they cause to every pet owner is worth it for a few stupid sparkles. The planned displays are one thing but people letting off a few cheap, illegal bangs in their garden at any hour of the day is impossible to plan for and completely naff. I have never been a snitch but it's made me want to go out with a clipboard and start noting addresses for 101.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Sorry for not updating sooner! They were all fine- we now have storm Ciaran to brave, and then I can hopefully relax for a few days.

Unfortunately in GB, I think private fireworks are still legal during certain hours? I don't know why, as they are so dangerous on lots of levels!