Video First 1.30 in the books!!!!

BunnyDog

Visit site
So sorry for radio silence. I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off. But I wanted to pop back in and share our news of our first 1.30m class.

We went to a show that's normally 2.5 hours away but given the bank holiday traffic it took us 4 hours to get there yesterday. Luckily we left in plenty of time and Cudo handled the ship really well.

This is a kind of a fancy kind of show. It only has 2 classes, and it's held at night under the lights outside of Middleburg, Virginia. There's tailgating, VIP tables and a LOT of atmosphere. I walked the course, and I am telling you it was big. Not to the point of being unattainable but I could feel my pulse pounding right on the surface of my stomach. I got Cudo ready and we had to fight to have a fence to jump in the warm up. Somehow, I'm still not sure exactly how, we managed to jump enough to head to the ring.

As I cantered to the first fence I was thinking about the stops last year, the utter dominance he's shown this year and how to do this I needed to believe in both of us. So we got over the first fence, by a mile in the pics. I landed snickered and thought to myself "Well if you didn't want to do this, then you shouldn't have jumped that fence. Right, let's go do this!" And it was an amazing round. I mean only 1 fence was a tiny bit sticky but he sailed it. We came home clear but had 1 time fault. I couldn't have cared less!!! 1 time fault over our first 1.30 with everything else. Hallelujah!!!!

We went 4th in the order out of 23 riders. So I grazed Cudo a bit and was listening. And I noticed that rails were falling like bowling pins. I put Cudo away with his saddle on and went back to see how our score was holding up. Well after half the class I was still sitting in 4th! Shocked doesn't cover it. There were almost all pro riders in this class. Including a US Team Eventer who went right after me, but she was admittedly on a greener horse. So we waited and after the first round we had manged to hold position and get a ribbon for 7th place. The top 6 jumped off and then we went in for the awards ceremony.

Here's the kicker.... :) I was the ONLY woman. I was the only non Grand Prix rider in the top 8. The winner is a seasoned Grand Prix rider from Germany. The second place rider won a Grand Prix on our Florida circuit this winter with the horse he was on. I am still blown away today.

But it's not yet time to rest on our laurels. We are competing in the Hunt Teams Class tonight at The Devon horse show, which I believe is the oldest or second oldest show in America. This is just a fun class and the fences are only 0.90m but it'll be cool to take Cudo into that ring at night tonight. :)

So that's my update. I have 2 videos of our round. One from each side of the arena.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hope you all have a great weekend!!!

Emily

TPO

Visit site
Wow what an achievement!! 🎉 Well done, that's an amazing result!!

What an arena too!

P.S. What is tailgating?

Bernster

Visit site
That’s an interesting format, a night time show. This is such an incredible achievement, you should be so proud. Well done. Cudo is a cracker! Nice to read that bank holiday traffic isn’t just a ridiculous UK phenomenon but sorry you got caught in it.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Wow, that's pretty amazing!
Just love his jumping style over the big fences - so efficient. You rode a fab round

BunnyDog

Visit site
Ok so part 2 of the weekend................... We wheeled Cudo back to the Devon Horse Show last night after 23 hours rest and only a 2.5 hour ship home. (I checked it is the oldest Horse Show in America. Cool history page here: http://www.devonhorseshow.net/about/history/ )

The class we did is called "Hunt Teams" and though other shows restrict the hunt team classes to actual members of hunts, Devon lets anyone with 3 team members in. The fences are not large, only about 0.90m. And the competition is friendly. I had the absolute most fun of my showing life doing this class 3 years ago. So when my friend Maria posted on FB that she was looking to find folks to do this, I jumped at the chance to come back. Now, to be truthful I think it's a great prep to let Cudo into the famed Dixon Oval ring under the lights because you know they have FEI show jumping classes at the Spring show and a few higher classes in my range at the Devon Fall show and if life went to stratospheric highs.... maybe one day we'd come back to do the FEI stuff at the spring Devon in the future. (Pipe dream but why not wonder...:p:cool:)

So the goal of this class is to behave as if hunting and to have good spacing, pace and safe jumping. And at the last fence you should jump 3 abreast in sync. That right there is the challenge. Well...... We rose to that challenge. The video is below. There were 23 teams entered and I am thrilled to share that we finished 3rd out of all of them!!! :):eek::oops::Do_O

https://youtu.be/YQwpBs3BeWc

I am knackered to death today. We made it home by 12:30am and Cudo went straight out in the field with his buddies. He's inside resting today under a fan and seems quite well. He's going to get a few days off as our next planned show is the weekend of June 15th.

I am beyond thankful for this amazing weekend. I am headed back to Devon tonight to help my friend, Jessica Lampe who is in the High Adult Amateur jumpers division. Much like I think your HOYS, this one you have to qualify for and essentially be in the top 25 in the country to be able to compete. So proud that she gets to ride and that her 19 year old boy is still playing the game. Fingers crossed they have good rounds today and tomorrow.

You can watch tonight for free and I will let you know that this should be something you sign up for.

USEF Network shows a lot of our shows and normally you have to pay for a membership but they're giving the memberships away for free if you enter the promo code "Devon19" (without the quotation marks)

Simply go to https://www.usef.org/network/coverage/2019devon/?cl=t and follow the directions.

Tip: If you need an american address to sign up with simply google a WalMart address near any major American city you can think of and enter that. LOL Their phone number work well too. LOL

So that's what I know. Hope you can watch Devon and see her go. She goes 18th out of 23 and it starts at 4pm our time which is 9pm London time.

Em

Goldenstar

Visit site
Oh I love it round Middleburgh we stayed at a lovely Inn the Red Fox and just had the best time .
That is just one of those golden days you treasure with horses well done you .

BunnyDog

Visit site
Oh I love it round Middleburgh we stayed at a lovely Inn the Red Fox and just had the best time .
That is just one of those golden days you treasure with horses well done you .
Love the Red Fox Inn. Did you see any ghosts????

Also did you see the second video?

Goldenstar

Visit site
That’s looks like great fun .
My hunters would like that but they might be very naughty.
No we saw no ghosts I do remember the richest soup ever made of peanuts and lovely comfy rooms .
We moved on to somewhere near Charlottesville and stayed in a B and B and the guy running was seriously spooky not in a fun way so we got up early and rang the Red Fox and said can we come back we where back for lunch .
I also remember a pub the Hidden horse that was fun full of horse people .
It’s just glorious round there .
Horses and vineyards .
Perfect for the GS’s
What’s next for the boys .

BunnyDog

Visit site
I have a lazy eye on a June 15th weekend show.

Chad got over his hives and now we have got to work on getting him some hind end muscles so we need to ship out to some hills.

He needs time to figure out how to relax and build up some strength.

Cudo....well let's see how he comes forward from our first experience at the level.

Em

BunnyDog

Visit site
Wow what an achievement!! 🎉 Well done, that's an amazing result!!

What an arena too!

P.S. What is tailgating?

Hi @TPO. So sorry I didn't answer this earlier. Tailgating is where they let you park your cars close to the ring and conceivably you can invite friends and have a picnic out of your car with food, drinks etc. This has been done for years at Steeplechase meets and even the Kentucky Three Day Event added it a few years ago along the middle of their xc course. It's a staple of American Football games where fans will come hours early to tailgate in the parking lots before the game starts.

But in the case of this show it's neat because it allows the folks coming to watch to see more and to enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.

Em

Reactions: TPO

TPO

Visit site
Hi @TPO. So sorry I didn't answer this earlier. Tailgating is where they let you park your cars close to the ring and conceivably you can invite friends and have a picnic out of your car with food, drinks etc. This has been done for years at Steeplechase meets and even the Kentucky Three Day Event added it a few years ago along the middle of their xc course. It's a staple of American Football games where fans will come hours early to tailgate in the parking lots before the game starts.

But in the case of this show it's neat because it allows the folks coming to watch to see more and to enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.

Em

That makes sense, that happens at rodeos and it made for a great atmosphere!

BunnyDog

Visit site
What a great team the two of you are! You must be so pleased. The hunt class looks like great fun. What's next for you both?

As I mentioned above, we have a penciled in show on the weekend of 7/15. I say penciled because I want to see how he comes out of this show. And if that show makes sense. It's a bit pricey and there are a few other options.

Em