First aid kits for horses, whats in yours????

Quartz

Visit site
Following on from my previous thread I thought it would be interesting to find out who has what in their first aid kits. And what are the must haves!!!

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I bought a ready made kit our vets had on offer, it was £50 with £5,00 going to a horse charity, I was astounded so few people went for the deal [at a free vet night on First Aid]
Stethoscope [struggling with that though we all got shown how to use it]
Vet wraps, plus other soft conformable bandaging, enough to do the biggest injury one could imagine
Danolin [10], to cover from Friday night to Monday morning.
Two 500ml sterile saline [emergency eye wash]
Animalintex [4]
Thermometer
Sterile dressings, [12]
Cotton wool swabs
Single use antibiotic gel [mushroom shaped thing which can even be inserted in a deep wound
Hibiscrub, not a fan of it but it has its uses, especially cleaning ones own hands
Disposable gloves
Tweezers
I keep some ready to use stuff, usually designed for human use, eg wound wash (Chlorhexidine), insect bite spray, sudacream, vaseline, sunblock, and a spray with tamed [povio-iodine] iodine, a sterile eye wash.
I also have a tiny bottle of povio iodine (tamed iodine) which can be diluted to sterilise larger quantities of a wash.
Equipment sterilising lotion (milton)
Two scissors and some containers, plus a human first aid box.
costing £120.00 or even more!
My own vet is happy to provide medication for minor problems: after discussing the case with him by phone or in the surgery, and provided we agree on the initial diagnosis (as in a case of mites), and provided I assure him that I will call him out if no immediate response. I always leave feedback following such treatment, which has only happened twice in past five years, once the ailment cleared immediately, and on the second occasion a vet was later called out to investigate, by this stage the lameness/stiffness had actually gone, but I wanted to be sure that I could start schooling again.
Must have: one animalintex, one vetwrap, four Danolin, one povio-iodine spray. One thermometer. Salt [add hot water]
cost £22.00

Last edited: