First aid, warm water, no electric on yard

SEL

Visit site
My beloved Appy obviously heard me yesterday stupidly say out loud that we hadn't run up any major vet bills yet this year. I should know better....

So she came in this morning with her nose and mouth covered in fresh blood. It looks like she scratched somewhere on the hedge, got a stick up her nose and pulled backwards taking a chunk out of her nostril. I was halfway to cleaning it up when I realised how deep it was and most of my hedgerow is blackthorn - so vet it was.

I'm not on mains electric nor mains water. Our well water is clean enough for the horses to drink but obviously I can't boil a kettle. Called home and asked OH to bring a flask of warm water (as an aside the conversation went HIM: how hot do you want it? ME: well hot enough to clean a cut without burning her HIM: I'll have to let it cool down then because I've just boiled the kettle ME: Or you could just add some cold water from the kitchen tap?)

So we had clean warm water for the vet to use once she'd had a bit of sedative and he flushed out the new hole she's made

No long term damage (except to my pocket) but it got me thinking about whether any off-grid people out there have ideas of magic equipment I could safely use to heat water without electricity? I'm happy to keep bottles of drinking water there and it would be useful for extra coffee when I'm waiting for the vet and its wet and cold as well as first aid.

Until recently I would have asked the house opposite but its been sold and being gutted so I'm not sure there's anyone around now.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I have electricity so not experienced

I have a small camping gas stove which I guess I'd use if I had no power but I know some off grid hardy types are more likely to bring a flask or two of boiled water.

ETA for wound care you want boiled water that has cooled, don't add unboiled cold. Just put it in a dish on the floor and it will cool soon enough.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Small camping stove would be useful. I’m in a village that gets power cuts every winter and it has been a godsend as I can have a hot drink and heat up soup as some of the power cuts have been over 5 hours …

SEL

Visit site
Though have always just used a flask personally
Ah but I'd need advance notice of an injury to put one in the car.... It's what I'm doing tonight but she caught me by surprise with blood at 7am

Camping stove I should think about and I'd forgotten about the old element type things that used to plug into cars - I had one once upon a time. Something like that I could easily keep at the yard.

I could have done with a hot drink standing around this morning!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I've a single camping gas burner (takes the small canisters) that lives in its case in the horsebox, plus a 2 burner camping gas one in my feed store (thanks for reminding me to get bigger ones gas bottle changed).

I also take flasks from home should I know in advance that I might need them...

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
We've been without electricity for a few days 2 times during the over 20 years we've lived here, and both those times we used this simple set up:
(sorry, photo includes the inspector cat's paws)

d882EmXg_o.jpg

The little metal thingy to the right is the thing you're supposed to use to "kill" the fire, the can is the "homemade" thing we actually use for that purpose. The bottle contains what I think you call Methylated spirits in English. All you would need to that is a saucepan with a lid, preferably big enough so that you can store the few items needed inside the saucepan when they're not being used. ETA: You would of course also need some matches, or a lighter. /ETA

Hope your horse heals quickly {{{{{{Vibes}}}}}}

Last edited:
Reactions: SEL

SEL

Visit site
My OH has just told me I have a 12v socket in the boot of the car so this would be perfect - especially as I had to use my coffee flask to defrost the gate latch last year! Thank you

SEL

Visit site
I've a single camping gas burner (takes the small canisters) that lives in its case in the horsebox, plus a 2 burner camping gas one in my feed store (thanks for reminding me to get bigger ones gas bottle changed).

I also take flasks from home should I know in advance that I might need them...
Oooh hadn't thought about keeping something in the horsebox - should do that.

Flask from home tonight for washing out the hole. She'd washed all the cream off in the water trough so it was a bit weepy and I could see how deep it was. Fortunately I think it's far enough up her nose to stay out of the mud.

SEL

Visit site
We've been without electricity for a few days 2 times during the over 20 years we've lived here, and both those times we used this simple set up:
(sorry, photo includes the inspector cat's paws)

d882EmXg_o.jpg

The little metal thingy to the right is the thing you're supposed to use to "kill" the fire, the can is the "homemade" thing we actually use for that purpose. The bottle contains what I think you call Methylated spirits in English. All you would need to that is a saucepan with a lid, preferably big enough so that you can store the few items needed inside the saucepan when they're not being used. ETA: You would of course also need some matches, or a lighter. /ETA

Hope your horse heals quickly {{{{{{Vibes}}}}}}
I'm sure my parents used to have something like this - I'll ask if it's still hiding in the garage.

The poor girl is feeling a bit sorry for herself. Antibiotics and Bute aren't great for her gut but fingers crossed it'll heal without issue.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Just as an aside from someone who works in the water industry, tap water is disinfected but not sterile. If you boil water to make it sterile to clean up wounds, don't add cold water to cool it as it won't be sterile anymore.

I would use sterile wash if needed (like the eye wash bottles) or a little canoeing stove to heat.

SEL

Visit site
I hadn't even thought about keeping a bottle of saline solution there. I was going to get some bottled water so at least I knew I had something clean if not warm.

She dunked her head in a bucket of water for a drink which did help clean the worst off before the vet got there - obviously stung but at least it was her choice rather than me trying to wipe bloody gunk off a painful nostril

Live & learn. I have a huge first aid kit but it's the first blood injury since we moved & I came up short!

TheMule

Visit site
Warm water is pretty essential for tubing for colic/ chokes so a very good thing to have access to. I have a camping stove.

Reactions: SEL

callybbi

Visit site
I have a camping stove and also some saline solution in my tack room for these just in case moments.
A few years ago my horse was on grass livery with absolutely nothing to hand when he decided to somehow rip his cheek open. The vet flushed it out with lots of saline and something else I can't remember, before stitching him up in the middle of the woods.
I then took a flask of boiled water daily in case it needed cleaning but the vet did say to leave it alone unless it was mucky. For a gory looking wound it really did heal up nicely with little interference from me thank god.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I hadn't even thought about keeping a bottle of saline solution there. I was going to get some bottled water so at least I knew I had something clean if not warm.

You don’t want a bottle as once you open it, it’s no longer sterile. You can get 5ml eye wash pods which you can use as required with limited wastage.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
You don’t want a bottle as once you open it, it’s no longer sterile. You can get 5ml eye wash pods which you can use as required with limited wastage.

Depends on the wound. When my vet was flushing out a cut on my horses cheek, he used several pouches the size of a drinks pouch so a 5 ml pod wouldn't have worked.

But agree need to think about waste as once you open it has a use by. Contact lens bottles say 3 months.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Depends on the wound. When my vet was flushing out a cut on my horses cheek, he used several pouches the size of a drinks pouch so a 5 ml pod wouldn't have worked.

But agree need to think about waste as once you open it has a use by. Contact lens bottles say 3 months.
Nothing stopping you using a dozen or more if necessary - I buy them by the hundred. They’re easier to target into a small wound too.

Use by date is a bit irrelevant- once it’s open, it’s not sterile.

I'm Dun

Visit site
A small generator would be handy. You can pick them up new for a couple of hundred quid and they will sit unused without issue till you need them. Gives you options for using power tools for repairs and clipper etc