First baby, new problems.

eirain

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone, new to Horse&Hound so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place!

I've just completed a sale on a 6 month old Dartmoor filly (bay, expected to reach 13.2hh but so was her mum and sister and they kept growing!). She's not "my" first horse but she's the first that I'm solely responsible for ;) and she'll be with us once she's halter trained. I'm at a loss on what to bed her on and what to feed her; our cob mare is on Burly Bed Lite, but the breeder seems to keep them on a bed of deep straw - which they eat quite a lot of since most of the times I've seen her she's eating her bedding. Feeding wise, I'd like her on a mix of forage and supplementary -- thinking Baileys No. 7 Stud and Youngstock Mix? But maybe that's too much? She will be stabled some of the time, preferably as little as possible because ultimately I want to let her play and be a baby until it's time to grow up! However, there's been some issues in our area lately with someone in the community releasing horses from their paddocks at night, so she'll be in then. I just don't feel safe with her on 24/7 turnout.

As an aside, have any of you guys had experience with Dartys, especially young ones?

So, to surmise:
  1. What bedding do you think would be most appropriate?
  2. What food do you think would be most appropriate alongside general forage?
  3. Would you feed any coat/joint/weight/etc supplements?
  4. What are your experiences with Dartys?

Auslander

Visit site
I wouldn't be feeding a native youngster any hard feed/supplements, unless there was an obvious need. They're designed to exist on rough hill pasture, and shoving her full of grain won't do her any favours.
I'd stick with straw if possible - cheap, cosy, and she can pick at it if she gets peckish. No problem with using Burleybed either, if that's what you already use - you'll just need to make sure she has plenty of low cal forage.

eirain

New User
Visit site
I wouldn't be feeding a native youngster any hard feed/supplements, unless there was an obvious need. They're designed to exist on rough hill pasture, and shoving her full of grain won't do her any favours.
I'd stick with straw if possible - cheap, cosy, and she can pick at it if she gets peckish. No problem with using Burleybed either, if that's what you already use - you'll just need to make sure she has plenty of low cal forage.

Thanks so much for the advice ... and for putting my mind at ease. I've been told that natives are extremely hardy and resourceful animals, but I couldn't find much breed specific info & I think sometimes the temptation to baby foals can override what's best for them! Will definitely keep her on straw and not go nuts with feeding. :)

hellspells

Visit site
From a fellow dartie owner, agree with the above little to no food! They are the most amazing little creatures, huge personalities and very strong willed! Although I presume she’s a Dartmoor hill pony rather than a Dartmoor pony at the size you mention?
I hope you have lots and lots of fun with her. I certainly have with mine!

Jlb1989

Visit site
Totally agree with all above mine live on fresh air as they say lol I stick to hay and as much turn out as possible although one of mine a greedy monkey and finds food even when you think their is none ! Is now on starvation paddock 6 hours a day and hay in the box

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Agree with above no hard feed just hay and grass, being very young she would be better going out with other ponies of a similar age, but that's not always possible so a kinder older horse can be an alternative option, and she will really benefit from being out as much as possible at such a young age.