First BE event in 4 weeks - no XC schooling planned?!

Smith123

Visit site
First event of the season - a BE90. Would you go having done no prior XC schooling this year?

No where near me is open (north yorks)

paddi22

Visit site
how experienced is the horse? If its confident and knows its job than i would. I'd set up skinnies etc in the arena to practice beforehand tho. If it was a younger, less confident horse I wouldn't want to overface it.

I'd also want to be confident i'd done enough suitable fittening work.

rising_promise

Visit site
Totally depends on you and the horses experience. I used to bring out my experienced eventer at the beginning of the season without any XC schooling but with a baby I would want to get out at least a couple of times.

Lolo

Visit site
Depends on the horse's, and your, experience. Reg went out and did a 1m eventer trial as his first event having not been XC since October. But he has been competing at that level for nearly 3 years now with Al, and him and Al are a very confident and competent team. If the horse is fit enough, and you felt you were confident to do so I wouldn't see the problem. The questions at BE90 aren't designed to catch you out, and the lines and things aren't really acute or demanding.

I wouldn't want to if the horse had limited experience or you'd not done much together/ lacked confidence.

Smith123

Visit site
He is 17 and we have evented a lot in the past - we have had a few quiet years due to my work. He evented twice last year.

I have recently moved house so currently have no areana. He is quite fit as all we do is canter up hills out hacking!

wildcard

Visit site
Not sure where abouts in n Yorkshire you are but a fair few open around me (york) Hamley hagg, Courses for horse, and helen bells are all open for a play round think. not sure if thats any help at all :)

Twiglet

Visit site
how experienced is the horse? If its confident and knows its job than i would. I'd set up skinnies etc in the arena to practice beforehand tho. If it was a younger, less confident horse I wouldn't want to overface it.

I'd also want to be confident i'd done enough suitable fittening work.

This ^^

Gamebird

Visit site
Not sure where abouts in n Yorkshire you are but a fair few open around me (york) Hamley hagg, Courses for horse, and helen bells are all open for a play round think. not sure if thats any help at all :)

Yup, plus Thornthorpe is open too.

OP, by all means don't XC school if you don't think you/your horse needs it, plenty of people don't and it's your choice. The lack of venues isn't an excuse though. Plenty in North Yorks are open plus plenty further afield. Loads of people from North Yorks go over to school at Somerford and when I lived on the North Yorks coast I regularly trekked down to Grange-de-Lings in Lincs (2hrs) to get an early school in. Schooling is possible, it just might not be on your doorstep.

Gamebird

Visit site
Said so the other day on their FB page. Tracey's usually out during the day. Try either dinner-time or tea-time. She's usually pretty good at returning messages too.

monte1

Visit site
We are in a similar position, not done any XC at all since last October and have just entered an Unaffiliated 90cm ODE at Tweseldown ( our local BE Venue) in two weeks time. was slightly worried about fitness, but he has been ticking over and stayed fairly fit over winter done bit SJ and some dressage. I actually took him for a couple of decent gallops before entering, to check his fitness and recovery levels. I would say you will be fine, if horse already established. my only concern would be not making the time and would slow up if I felt horse was tiring, but a few time penalties not the end of the world early in the season :)

Fun Times

Visit site
Helen bells will reopen after breckenbrough b.e as I assume its northallerton you have entered? Also there is an ode at mickley in a fortnight or so and thats a nice course to start the season with. I think camphill are open for clinics and lessons at the start of april if its instruction you are after.

MagicMelon

Visit site
If the horse is experienced then I would. I actually went BE Novice in April once year when the horses last XC had been in October and he'd had a couple of months off too. Not ideal obviously, but really depends on the horse. Mine was perfectly happy.