First Clinic & Progress Pics

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
So Jacob and I have our first outing this weekend which is a dressage clinic at Hickstead - half an hour lesson with Grand Prix rider Daniel Watson and then half an hour test riding. It said all levels so I booked it and then I saw the video from the previous one and it’s of a lady doing passage, so I may have over reached us a little as we are starting to ride Prelim tests, and have never competed - oops! I’m excited but super nervous, anyone got any tips?

I also came across a photo of Jacob from back in March when I first starting asking him to use himself properly and compared it to one taken last week and I like to think we are heading in the right direction! That pesky behind wither muscle wastage has lessened I think and in the second photo there might even the sneaking appearance of some top line? Super proud of him, he tries so hard. Any comments/areas of improvement welcome. I’m hoping the bum will start to fill out soon..

(Plus one more photo because I like his expression in it! He’d seen some cows over the hedge ? Llama horse!)

E4D81CDA-9F62-412A-949A-50B6090E7FDF.jpeg
922F6113-C4D1-4DB4-B0D7-8F1505C8DACE.jpeg
A0C6597F-2FD0-4257-B137-A1068A32BC7B.jpeg

Last edited:

Roxylola

Visit site
He looks fab, I had a lesson with isobel wessels on supercob when he couldn't really canter. I was way out of my league, and I wouldnt be training with her regularly - I couldn't justify the cost at the level we are at, but as a one off, it was fab. I took loads away from it

BBP

Visit site
My one comment (other than what a lovely big horse!) is that especially in the earliest photo he is camped under with his front feet, rather than having front cannons perpendicular to the floor. which might indicate a bit of discomfort in the heels at that point (or it might be a fluke photo!). It then affects the movement of the forelimb and can result in that lack of muscle behind the wither. The more recent photo his front legs are coming more under him so you are obviously doing something right. Just get your farrier to keep an eye on the foot balance to keep the heels healthy. Get the feet right and the rest will follow!

(I say this as a person with little expertise but with a pony who stands just like your ‘before’ photo, with the same lack of muscle, and we are trying to tackle heel pain as the cause.)

Good luck with your clinic!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Looking good, enjoy the clinic, we'll be waiting for a report :)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Thanks guys, will try to just do our best and enjoy the day - Daniel knows my current instructor very well, and she said it should be a great clinic.

My one comment (other than what a lovely big horse!) is that especially in the earliest photo he is camped under with his front feet, rather than having front cannons perpendicular to the floor. which might indicate a bit of discomfort in the heels at that point (or it might be a fluke photo!). It then affects the movement of the forelimb and can result in that lack of muscle behind the wither. The more recent photo his front legs are coming more under him so you are obviously doing something right. Just get your farrier to keep an eye on the foot balance to keep the heels healthy. Get the feet right and the rest will follow!

(I say this as a person with little expertise but with a pony who stands just like your ‘before’ photo, with the same lack of muscle, and we are trying to tackle heel pain as the cause.)

Good luck with your clinic!

Very interesting! Ill have a chat with my farrier about this as a lot of his earlier photos he was camped under in front - no foot no horse, so I'll definitely look into it!

Looking good, enjoy the clinic, we'll be waiting for a report :)

I will try and get some photos and do a report! I am cacking it, but it will be fun just to get him out and about somewhere.