First competition for ex-racehorse (feeling nervous!)

S.AAnderson

Visit site
I have decided to take the plunge & enter a local dressage competition with my new OTT. He finished racing in May, and we started his re-training (with the help of a professional) in July. Although he is doing well, the bar is set considerably lower from any other horses I have owned e.g. we just started cantering last week after 6 weeks of purely walk/trot work.

Fortunately the tests I have entered are Prep level (I am based in Oz)- which means there is no cantering involved & most entrants will be either novice riders or green horses. I feel like I have tried to keep his first competition experience outside of the racetrack as dull as possible - close-by venue, small numbers etc.

Would love to hear from other owners about how their first competitions went, particularly those with ex-racehorses. The good, bad & ugly! I am trying to keep my expectations realistic but to say I am nervous is an understatement!!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Good luck with your ex-racer. :D

A few years back I borrowed a ex-racehorse to try some RDA (para) dressage and he came off the lorry ready to gallop so appeared to be slightly taken aback that we were doing circles and free walk on a long rein. If anything he then switched off too much and the second test was rather lacking in impulsion. ;) :)

asmp

Visit site
Was at a dressage show recently and someone brought along two ex racers. The older one (who should have known better) lost the plot but the younger one did a lovely calm test. All depends on the horse!

Regarding your nerves, I would suggest you go along with the mindset that it your horse plays up or you feel too nervous, you don’t have to do it - just being at a show and walking around will be a good enough experience. If it all goes to plan, that’s a bonus ?

humblepie

Visit site
First competition for mine -unfortunately someone else at the yard decided to do a last minute entry so when mine had to leave the warm up to go to the test arena, he had to leave a horsey friend. We went backwards up a bank en-route to arena - once in we had several neighs to outside horses and a halt where not supposed to halt. He has gone on to win national finals showing and dressage. Just don't feel any pressure and use it as experience which is all it is for. Hope all goes well.