First day and horse kicked

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
Hey everyone, my new horse arrived this afternoon. We loaded him off the trailer and into his stable which was all prepared for his arrival.
Spent an hour brushing him down and then left him alone for a bit. He seemed absolutely fine, just munching his haynet, drinking some water.

Came back up a bit later with my daughter. We both went in the stable with him. She patted his neck and stroked his nose and he was fine. At one point she walked behind him and he again wasnt bothered. Then out of nowhere she was stood by his hind leg and his ears pinned back and he kicked her and she fell down. Its really upset her and sent her into shock. I feel really upset and awful for her. Afterwards he let me pick his front feet up to pick them out, but when i went near the rear he started kicking again. He wasnt doing this at all when i was grooming his legs earlier

When i went to view the horse. I picked out all four feet in his stable with absolutely no issues and was assured he was completely safe around children.

I think i need some reassurance this is just because hes arrived and unsettled. I feel really rubbish now and upset that my daughter is upset. Has anyone got any advice what to do as its knocked her confidence and Im annoyed with myself that it's happened. What should i do.

nagblagger

Visit site
Can I ask how old is your daughter? Glad she is ok and not seriously physically injured, was she touching him when he kicked? Maybe speak to the previous owners?
Could anything/one happen while you were away?

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
Can I ask how old is your daughter? Glad she is ok and not seriously physically injured, was she touching him when he kicked? Maybe speak to the previous owners?
Could anything/one happen while you were away?
She is 8. She was being very careful and I was watching her the whole time. She wasnt touching him when he kicked. Shes just in shock and been very quiet and upset since the incident and I feel the same. Not sure if we did too much too soon and its a one off or whether to be concerned. I dont know whether to message the seller about it

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Hi I am really sorrry this has happened, After all the excitement of a new horse arriving, I can see how disappointing it is.

I'd just say that an hour of brushing is a long time for a horse who is somewhere unfamilar and who does not know you either. And then to be back in there again may have just been too much, Especially with 2 of you in there and one by his back legs. When you say he pinned his ears and kicked, how much warning was there between the pinned ears and the kick? Many horses can be a bit territorial in their stable especially when eating. Some can feel a bit insecure inside too, if they are used to being out. So he may have felt threatened. Or food possessive. Or just fed up of being fussed over.

I know for sure my horse would not have tolerated that when she first arrived. In fact she still wouldn't like it and I've had her over a year. She kicked a groom once in her first week. That has never been repeated. But then again I would never regard her as suitable for a family with younger children.

Having said all that, a horse bought as a safe as houses family horse who will be handled by young children should just not kick. Ever. And the other problem is that he successfully got you off his back legs, twice, by kicking. Ie the original kick 'worked' from his point of view. And he also got you to stop trying to touch his back legs afterwards. So this may be a more established behaviour than you were told. And it was not nipped in the bud either but was effective for him which increases the likelihood he'll do it again.

I think you do need to contact the seller immediately to let them know. Then I think you need to turn him out and don't handle him too much initially. Keep interactions short and low key. Hope it all works out and it was just a one off by an overwhelmed cob! x

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
Hi I am really sorrry this has happened, After all the excitement of a new horse arriving, I can see how disappointing it is.

I'd just say that an hour of brushing is a long time for a horse who is somewhere unfamilar and who does not know you either. And then to be back in there again may have just been too much, Especially with 2 of you in there and one by his back legs. When you say he pinned his ears and kicked, how much warning was there between the pinned ears and the kick? Many horses can be a bit territorial in their stable especially when eating. Some can feel a bit insecure inside too, if they are used to being out. So he may have felt threatened. Or food possessive. Or just fed up of being fussed over.

I know for sure my horse would not have tolerated that when she first arrived. In fact she still wouldn't like it and I've had her over a year. She kicked a groom once in her first week. That has never been repeated. But then again I would never regard her as suitable for a family with younger children.

Having said all that, a horse bought as a safe as houses family horse who will be handled by young children should just not kick. Ever. And the other problem is that he successfully got you off his back legs, twice, by kicking. Ie the original kick 'worked' from his point of view. And he also got you to stop trying to touch his back legs afterwards. So this may be a more established behaviour than you were told. And it was not nipped in the bud either but was effective for him which increases the likelihood he'll do it again.

I think you do need to contact the seller immediately to let them know. Then I think you need to turn him out and don't handle him too much initially. Keep interactions short and low key. Hope it all works out and it was just a one off by an overwhelmed cob! x

Thank you for this advice, on reflection I see it may have just been too much fussing for him. I feel really emotional but it's taken me so long to find a horse for us to share and first day she said she is now scared of him :(
The issue with his back feet I'm concerned about on a separate level as he let me pick them out on my viewing so Im hoping he will let me once he feels settled but as you say hes got away with it now

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Thank you for this advice, on reflection I see it may have just been too much fussing for him. I feel really emotional but it's taken me so long to find a horse for us to share and first day she said she is now scared of him :(
The issue with his back feet I'm concerned about on a separate level as he let me pick them out on my viewing so Im hoping he will let me once he feels settled but as you say hes got away with it now

when i first got my horse she would not pick up any of her feet, until she trusted me and felt happier with what i was asking her. Hopefully yours will learn to trust you soon enough.

i think you should tell the person you bought him off. Agree get him turned out asap, should help him settle and let some energy out!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Agree with Ambers Echo and also his in a strange place with strange people not wanting to pick up feet can be an insecure response so I would be too concerned over that.

I would get the horse turned out and in a proper routine and I would also tell the seller about what has happened.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I can't imagine how dirty a horse would be to need brushing for an hour!
I wonder if your 8 Yr old daughter's technique wasn't comfortable for him and he just couldn't face any more.
Some horses are wary of having 2 people in the stable with them, because they think that means that something is going to happen that they won't like.
I hope your daughter gets over this setback quickly but you need to take charge of the situation and encourage her to understand that your new horse needs time to settle into his new home, with people he doesn't know. It really isn't like buying a new toy.

PurBee

Visit site
Im glad your daughter wasnt seriously injured.
When a horse arrived at mine, after being told sweet horse, no kick, bite etc - i got cow kicked first day too!
Like you, at her old home she was perfect to handle. The move day she was inwardly stressed and i was just standing beside her looking at her belly, when she flew out a side kick at my thigh.
She had been used to her horsey pals for years, and the change of home was really stressful for her. She also bit me later on too! Everythings new, and i think some horses, despite not overtly showing it, are inwardly stressed.
She is a sweet horse, but definitely takes a while to warm up to new people, which previous owner didnt know owning her from foal, and her being handled for 10 yrs soley by him.

Since her, with a new horse, i’d leave them a couple of days to just chill and absorb new environment before giving more ‘close and personal’ handling. Aside from feeding and turning out, i would be around, so they can ‘suss me out’. Even if at their old home they were perfect, ive learnt the move can bring out heeby-jeebies and stressed behaviour due to it.

If the old owner was around when you were in the stable at old home the horse likely took you as a ‘ok’ from their main horse person. Without them being there and you and daughter, both strangers, in a closed new home stable with a inwardly stressed pony, is likely to bring out some odd behaviours.
Try not to get discouraged, their whole world has suddenly changed, and unless this pony is used to travelling to lots of shows, new venues and being handled by various people, it’s very normal for them to be a bit freaked out they are not ‘home’ as they know it. Theyre creatures of habit, and everything being new, from people to stable and field, is a lot to adjust to, if not used to change.

Take it slow and allow them to get used to the new environment and routine.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Great Post by AE.

He's been moved, he's obviously very upset and he held it in for a long as he could. But going back and fussing him again was too much for him on his first day.

You know that now, and it's a hard lesson to have learnt on such an exciting day. I do think if you give him time he will be the horse you viewed.

But for now, I would advise you not to have anyone who is not one hundred confident handle his back legs. I include you in that. Not because he is dangerous, but because right now he will probably be triggered by anyone who is not super confident touching his hind legs. He will feel their fear and react to it and the whole situation might escalate into something far more serious.

I'm sorry your exciting day was spoilt, glad your daughter is ok, but this situation isn't uncommon, or irredeemable.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I am glad that your daughter was not hurt. I am not intending this to be taken harshly, but standing in a place in which it is possible to get kicked (anywhere behind the shoulder, or indeed directly in front) with a horse that you do not know well, and which doesn't know you, is just asking for trouble. I would suggest giving your new horse time to get used to you, the new place, new routine, new handling.

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
I can't imagine how dirty a horse would be to need brushing for an hour!
I wonder if your 8 Yr old daughter's technique wasn't comfortable for him and he just couldn't face any more.
Some horses are wary of having 2 people in the stable with them, because they think that means that something is going to happen that they won't like.
I hope your daughter gets over this setback quickly but you need to take charge of the situation and encourage her to understand that your new horse needs time to settle into his new home, with people he doesn't know. It really isn't like buying a new toy.
He was absolutely filthy when he arrived, it wasnt constant brushing for an hour as such. Just me pottering around pampering him and talking to him, nothing exessive. My daughter is very gentle and mindful around these animals as Im constantly reminding her, as you say i think hes got overwhelmed with us both. For now itll just be myself handling. Hoping her riding lesson tomorrow on her fave riding school pony will make her feel a bit better around them

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
Great Post by AE.

He's been moved, he's obviously very upset and he held it in for a long as he could. But going back and fussing him again was too much for him on his first day.

You know that now, and it's a hard lesson to have learnt on such an exciting day. I do think if you give him time he will be the horse you viewed.

But for now, I would advise you not to have anyone who is not one hundred confident handle his back legs. I include you in that. Not because he is dangerous, but because right now he will probably be triggered by anyone who is not super confident touching his hind legs. He will feel their fear and react to it and the whole situation might escalate into something far more serious.

I'm sorry your exciting day was spoilt, glad your daughter is ok, but this situation isn't uncommon, or irredeemable.
Thank you, i needed these reassuring words so thank you everyone responding. Its apparent it was just a little too much that second visit. He really is a lovely cob so I hope he feels settled soon and learns to trust us.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I think the fact that you were in his space for an hour is the issue. Not so much what you were doing with him in there. Horses can struggle with chnage, with strange stables, with being inside, with people where they can't see them, with more than one person etc. It sounds like he just became overwhelmed. We want to pamper them because it is so exciting when they arrive. But that is very often the last thing they actually want or need on day 1. Really, they need space and time to adjust.

But most will adjust and settle with good routines and matter of fact handling. We need pictures! x

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
I am glad that your daughter was not hurt. I am not intending this to be taken harshly, but standing in a place in which it is possible to get kicked (anywhere behind the shoulder, or indeed directly in front) with a horse that you do not know well, and which doesn't know you, is just asking for trouble. I would suggest giving your new horse time to get used to you, the new place, new routine, new handling.

No I do understand that and appreciate everyones comments on this as I came home so deflated thinking it was a sign of things to come and really its just been too much for him so Im glad everyone is telling me this so I can move forward in the best way

Fire sign

Visit site
Many years ago in the 1970’s I finally took possession of my very first pony , after years of saving and begging and pleading at the age of 14 .. I was used to handling ponies and working for free rides at the local riding school but I didn’t know as much as I thought I did .. Caught lovely new pony and brought her in from the field , tied her up outside a stable and got stuck in with the grooming brushes . After some over enthusiastic tail brushing lovely new pony reared up, lashed out with her hind feet and kicked me in the head . After a day and a night in hospital with stitches and concussion … I came home and we started over .. she never kicked me again she was just upset by the move and didn’t know who I was … it’s a rotten start though and I feel for you and your daughter xxx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
He was absolutely filthy when he arrived, it wasnt constant brushing for an hour as such. Just me pottering around pampering him and talking to him, nothing exessive. My daughter is very gentle and mindful around these animals as Im constantly reminding her, as you say i think hes got overwhelmed with us both. For now itll just be myself handling. Hoping her riding lesson tomorrow on her fave riding school pony will make her feel a bit better around them

Horses don't usually consider it to be pampering, especially when the person doing it is unfamiliar to them. Sometimes 'gentle' isn't decisive enough for a horse to feel comfortable.
Can I suggest that you think about this from the horse's pov?
I hope your daughter enjoys her lesson and starts to feel more confident around your horse soon.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
No I do understand that and appreciate everyones comments on this as I came home so deflated thinking it was a sign of things to come and really its just been too much for him so Im glad everyone is telling me this so I can move forward in the best way
I used to teach basic handling to equine college students and novice-y owners. DO NOT stand in places that make it easy for the horse to stand on you, push you, kick you, stand on your feet, or knock you over. So stay at the horse's shoulder if at all possible, close but not too close, and not where the horse can squash you against a wall. And keep your eyes on his face and ears; he will tell you what he thinks of your interactions long before he acts himself.

honetpot

Visit site
I am sorry your daughter was hurt, but the first thing you teach children is the front end bites and the back end kicks, and never go behind them unless it is necessary, and always if possible stand to one side, just in front of the hind leg. This is basic safety, and with a new pony only adults should be handling it until you are confident, not the child.
An enclosed space with small people is very dangerous, it is harder to pull them to safety. The door should always be behind you so you can exit quickly, but really young children shouldn't be in stables.
I had a group of vet students watch a pony being sedated, and where did they stand in the corner furthest from the door, so when it started to collapse if I had not told to shift quick they could have been injured.
Ponies are not toys, they get tired, tetchy and stressed, when this happens they will want you out of their space. Always put food etc in the stable put the pony in the stable, turn it's head to you, bum away from you while you stand in the doorway, take the head collar off and one step out and shut the door. Leave to eat on its own.

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
Thanks all. Tomorrows a new day.
Many years ago in the 1970’s I finally took possession of my very first pony , after years of saving and begging and pleading at the age of 14 .. I was used to handling ponies and working for free rides at the local riding school but I didn’t know as much as I thought I did .. Caught lovely new pony and brought her in from the field , tied her up outside a stable and got stuck in with the grooming brushes . After some over enthusiastic tail brushing lovely new pony reared up, lashed out with her hind feet and kicked me in the head . After a day and a night in hospital with stitches and concussion … I came home and we started over .. she never kicked me again she was just upset by the move and didn’t know who I was … it’s a rotten start though and I feel for you and your daughter xxx
Oh my gosh, thankfully you made a good recovery thats an awful experience to go through. Thankfully you and your pony got over that incident and all was ok, this is encouraging for me thank you.
Tomorrow is a new day. Really greatful for this forum! X

JFTDWS

Visit site
It's a pretty daft idea to let your 8 year old stand where she can be kicked by a new horse which is in an unfamiliar place, even if that horse is sold as child friendly. I'd be more concerned about establishing sensible rules around the pony and not putting yourselves in positions where this sort of thing is likely to happen, than worrying about the pony itself. Your posts are full of anthropomorphising nonsense about pampering etc - you really need to learn how to treat a horse like a horse, not a toy, for everyone's safety and welfare going forward.

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
Jet!

With the wind in your hair of a thousand laces
Climb on the back and we'll go for a ride in the sky

(Wings)

You're going to have a lot of fun with Jet, I think.
I hope he has a lot of fun with us too! We bought him as our forever horse so we hope he enjoys a long and fulfilling life with us (once hes settled anyway!)

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
It's a pretty daft idea to let your 8 year old stand where she can be kicked by a new horse which is in an unfamiliar place, even if that horse is sold as child friendly. I'd be more concerned about establishing sensible rules around the pony and not putting yourselves in positions where this sort of thing is likely to happen, than worrying about the pony itself. Your posts are full of anthropomorphising nonsense about pampering etc - you really need to learn how to treat a horse like a horse, not a toy, for everyone's safety and welfare going forward.

I think everything you've said has already been covered by previous posters but in a far more diplomatic and encouraging but instructive way. Was there any need to say it all over again but in a discouraging, critical and borderline rude manner? I am sure from OP's further comments and general response she has got the message loud and clear.?

good luck with Jet sausagedogqueen, he is a beauty!?

Jules111

Visit site
Great name and fingers crossed you and your daughter will have lots of fun with him. When you next groom him I'd recommend really be aware of his reactions. I have a ridiculously sensitive cob, too much pressure he'll react - too little pressure so it's a bit tickly he'll react :rolleyes:

If you have somebody around who can support it would be good to get them to help you check for mud fever or any sore areas, scabs on his legs and back of the knees. Problems can fester hidden under the feather and make them very sensitive and sore. Mites are also a consideration, my sensitive boy will throw shapes if he has mites. It doesn't take much for some horses to let you know they have a problem, particularly when already coping with the stress of a new home.