First dog, need a few questions answered!

starry94

Visit site
I'm hoping to get my first dog soon. I've been working at a kennels for over 3 years and have done an animal management course at college & a lot of my assignments I focused on dogs (and horses!), so I'm not totally clueless but I understand you won't know everything you need to until you actually get a dog.
I have looked into getting a rescue, and I haven't ruled it out, but there are a few reasons I am looking into getting a puppy instead.
The dog wouldn't be at home all day on its own (I work full time) at all because it would come to work with me and I will be able to have it in the staff room so therefore would see it a lot and it could go out regularly during the day.
Do you think it is practical to get a puppy if I can bring it to work with me? I think at least if it is at work I can carry on its toilet training etc throughout the day and it will get used to meeting different people and potentially other dogs too.
I live at home but the dog will primarily be mine, it will come to the yard with me before and after work so will be outside plenty during the day.
another question, what would you say is a suitable breed for my situation?
Like I said, i am still open minded at getting a rescue but am thinking about and looking into all options at the moment.

PorkChop

Visit site
My feeling is that you will struggle with toilet training etc in the early days if you take a puppy to work. Obviously I don't know how your average day is structured but I wouldn't imagine you will have oodles of time to spend with your puppy.

I'm not someone who has ever gone down the rescue route so I can't give you any experiences however I would have thought an older dog would fit your lifestyle more.

Clodagh

Visit site
With a pup, we take them out every 15 - 20 minutes for the first week or so, would that be possible at work? House training doesn't take long if you are super commited, but once you have let them wee in the house as perhaps you are too busy and distracted, it sets them back every time.

starry94

Visit site
I could easily pop in to let the dog out every 20 mins to let it to go the toilet, that shouldn't be a problem as my work is pretty relaxed. Or would taking a week off work to be at home with the pup be a better option? Because that is also easily arranged.

vieshot

Visit site
I think it sounds completely manageable! A week off for the first week would probably be sensible. I've known people leave puppies for hours each day and manage to somehow create a toilet trained dog so you will be laughing.

As for breed. It depends how much exercise you are giving before and after work and also how you want the dog to behave while your working. If you want something that lays at your feet all day then you could look at maybe getting a nice sighthound? Tonnes of lovely greyhounds in rescue that would likely thrive in your routine.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I'd at least take off a week. I'm looking after my bil's puppy currently but he's got the big dogs to look to for examples so toilet training has been easier than having a lone puppy.

Regardless of how relaxed work is, I think taking time off is better for a pup. Are there no gorgeous dogs at work you could fancy taking on?