First ever BE80 Saturday...advice please on what to expect?

Girlracer

Visit site
How exciting! Now it depends on your horse a little bit, but I usually give myself 20 minutes on arrival to collect numbers and familiarise myself with the layout. 10 minutes to stud up then 20 minutes to tack up and get dressed. I then have 20 minutes to warm up for both dressage and show jumping, and about 10/15 for XC unless it's been a long time since SJ.

Hope that gives you some idea. Better to have too much time than not enough though and we have got a good routine now. Good luck!

EventingMum

Visit site
Allow time to get your hat tagged if you haven't already had it done too. Take horse's passport when you pick up your number, they don't check often but you should have it. Allow time to boot up and change tack before sj and xc and to change yourself before xc.

PorkChop

Visit site
Give yourself enough time :)

Use a box for your kit for each phase.

Factor in the time it will take to get to each phase, we have been to venues where it can take 10 mins from the lorry park.

Remember you can use a whip in the dressage warm up but not in the arena.

Make use of the course walks with trainer if you have the time.

If you are competing alone, make sure the secretary knows and leave emergency details in the window of your car/lorry.

Check on the schedule/times when you will be able to walk the showjumping course.

Report to the steward straight away for each phase and make note of their particular system.

Thank any steward/fence judge/helper/organiser that you have contact with - we wouldn't be able to take part in this fab sport without the volunteers :)

Finally, focus on each phase one at time, and have a blast :)

Jnhuk

Visit site
some events have a useful letter for BE80T competitors with info etc... to check on bwdp etc.. for this

Remember start fee in cash, passport for horse, number bib etc... do your hats need tagged?

Remember to give yourself time to walk the Sj & XC - the course walks with the trainer are useful but timings don't always suit. Use the trainers, ask them for help and advice - don't be shy

At BE80 you usually only have a short time between SJ & XC so have what you need for XC for you and horse, ready to hand for a quick change before XC.

Always give yourself extra time at a new venue just to figure out layout as find if short of time, things are more stressful.

Above all, enjoy!

SirDuke

Visit site
Thanks all! Am so worried I'll probably leave myself hours for everything to avoid stress! Just hope I can do my horse justice

LPL

Visit site
Where are you going? I'm taking my youngster to his first 80T at askham Bryan on Saturday!

Above advice is brilliant, don't put too much pressure on yourself and enjoy it!

Orangehorse

Visit site
When you arrive and go to the Secretary's tent check your times. ( I arrived once at an event and discovered that something had changed between me having times and seeing them on the sec's board!)

Before walking the course, look at the course map. And again after walking the course, to be sure you have seen all the fences and haven't missed any out!

Warm up sufficiently for the show jumping, many people don't as they think the horse is "tired" after the dressage test.

Ride each and every fence as though the horse might stop. Don't stop concentrating until you are finished and across the line. No course is easy until you have jumped it!

Good luck, have fun.

paddi22

Visit site
• clean your stud holes the night before and fill them back in with a sponge sprayed with wd40. Makes them much easier to screw in the next day.

• I bought the bottom box in this
http://home-fix.com/estore/tactix-rolling-tool-box-2in1-320308.html#.V_S79EZ3zcQ
and it's the handiest thing i own. I throw everything into it the night before, wheel it onto the box and then wheel it out and use it as a mounting block, seat, etc. Everything fits it in and it keeps everything in one place

• Buy electrical tape for wrapping round your boots.

• make sure you have your medical card

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
From my experiences of doing some a year or two ago:
Leave plenty of time to get there in case of traffic or getting lost. I leave 30 mins to get hat tagged and generally familiarise myself with the event, unless I've been over the day before to walk the course.

Practise putting your studs in at home so you know you can do it quickly and confidently, if you're using them. I allow 20 mins for studding, tacking up etc for DR. You'll know how long you need for DR warm up - my horse needs 40 mins so I allow 5-10 mins for walking to the warm up area then actual warm up for around 30 mins, since he might have already had a bit of a walk over there, depending how far the lorry park is from DR. Make yourself known to the steward when you get there.

When I did BE80, I remember the SJ and XC times all went completely to pot. In every case, I arrived at the SJ warm up on time to find it had turned into a SJ class with people putting their numbers down willy-nilly, all out of order, and ended up with a big wait. So if you have someone with you, get them to run over to SJ after your DR (or you can do it) to check if they're running to time or if you need to put your name on the list. You'll need time to change tack and maybe studs. I do about a 15 min warm up.

Same as above for XC - check if they're running in order and on time so you don't end up waiting around for ages.

Make use of the trainers, they really are fantastic and a great resource, esp for your first time.

Branna

Visit site
Everything i think has been covered above but good luck and have fun!

I would agree that if your times suit, doing the course walks with the trainers can be really worth while. And if you see a trainer in the warm up and want help, go up and introduce yourself and ask for any advice - some are more proactive than others in offering help!

And also I agree with the above - different venues run the SJ particularly in different ways. Some run strictly to time, some write all the numbers on the board in order (with gaps for multiple riders) so run to order but not necessarily time, and others run declarations on a board. Definitely worth asking which the venue is doing before you turn up ready to jump! I have never been anywhere BE that doesn't just take declarations XC.

Chumsmum

Visit site
Same as others, allow yourself plenty of time etc.
Do the BE80T accompanied course walk if you can, very informative and will help with confidence.
Write your times on your hand for quick reference.
Keep number bib in obvious place so you don't forget to put on for every phase...
Good luck and most of all enjoy the day xx

EliteEskimo

New User
Visit site
Pretty much same as above ^ Leave time to collect numbers and if walking the XC course on the day make sure you leave more time than you think you'll need! Make sure you pack everything the day before and have a run through of the dressage test (make sure its the right one - I've learnt the wrong one before) and most importantly enjoy it!

SirDuke

Visit site
Thanks everyone - horse has a small rub on the inside of one of his shoulders now so not sure whether to do it or not. It's not on where the girth should sit but if it slides forward it's a worry. Vet nurse has advised to wear girth cover and slather it rubbed spot in Vaseline but really in two minds. Argh horses!!

EliteEskimo

New User
Visit site
My pony suffers from girth rubs, I just use a Le Mieux girth cover for events and she's absolutely fine. They sometimes come up a bit sore after an event but I wouldn't worry about it too much! Enjoy Saturday!

SirDuke

Visit site
If I do it I will definitely give him loads of time off after so it completely heals over. It's such a tricky one as don't want to be selfish but if he could just be fine for Saturday I could give him tonnes of rest and recovery time after and it's the last local event of the season so my last chance before March/April....will check it tonight and see what it looks like. Have bought Lemieux dressage girth cover but not sure I will get one big enough for his jump girth - might be creative with scissors and cut a wraparound one open to put under girth?

EliteEskimo

New User
Visit site
I'm sure he'll be fine for Saturday, mine always come up when her coat is changing so I'm sure they won't take long to heal afterwards. Once they are fully healed salt water helps to 'toughen' the skin up afterwards, but only once they are healed over of course. Assuming your jump girth is a long one, one of the cheapie slip on sleeves worked for my long girth and doesn't matter if they get dirty or matted with vaseline then. Its never affected my pony in terms of performance, just vaseline and fluff and your good to go!

SirDuke

Visit site
Yes it's when his coat changes, suddenly he is Mr Sensitive. It's not huge, about the size of a 10p. Ooh great tip thanks, I did buy some salve that is meant to toughen skin but good old fashioned salt water will probably work best! It is a long one but is quite wide (like the prolite - goes forward between the legs) hence why I think the slip on ones might be a bit narrow and I might need to cut it open in the middle. Thanks, you've reassured me!