First fall in 2 years

Field04

Visit site
As the title really, had my first fall of my horse today, the last time I fell off was over 2 years ago with my old horse. It was just bad luck really as we were trotting down a country lane and went around a corner and a big dog (no lead) was coming in the opposite direction. My horse spooked, did a 180degree turn and galloped off. Usually I manage to stay on when she turns like this but today I fell off.

The thing that really worries me is she took off and galloped home, we were only about 2 km away but she has to go down a main road to get back. I ran after her and called my neighbour to try and catch her or at least warn cars to slow down as a horse was on its way.

I got her back outside my gates at home and walked her back out in hand past the spot where she spooked she we didn't end on a bad note. I walked wiht her in hand past the spot and then rode a bit before turning for home. I found my ankle hurt a lot more when riding as I had to put pressure on it to get up in the saddle. It was a shooting pain... owwwww. Currently on the sofa with foot up. Apart from that very grazed one side and bruised but my body protector really helped me!!! I did fly off and around landing on my ankle first before then landing on my side with one foot still in the stirrup. Hence the big grazing down one arm as she was still moving while foot was in the stirrup (or at least it felt like this, but could only of been for a couple of seconds).

Has really it brought it home, that even though I choose the safest route to go for her and me, around our local agri land. We still have a bit of main road to go down. What could of happened could of been catastrophic if a lorry had been speeding around the corner near our house on the main road, or a motorbike or car. Its that that has really worried me about going out in future.

Sorry for rambling. Any positive words of wisdom......

Thanks

Toz

Visit site
Sorry, no advice from me!

Just hope you are both ok, let us know how you get on and take it easy on that ankle!

Hopefully someone else will have words of wisdom!

Well done for getting back on again too, and walking her back past the spot, I'm sure that will have helped!

Field04

Visit site
Thanks, we are both ok!!! Just thinking about what could of happened, and slightly worried about telling OH as he is very non horsey and may freak out!!

HipoH

Visit site
Firstly hope you're ok.

Its very natural for you to feel anxious about getting back on board, its called self preservation! However, its important not to allow this anxiety to spoil your future experiences. Unfortunately our brains are wired to dwell on the negative experiences so that we remember them better as back in the day when we were cavemen/women this was what in fact kept us alive and reminded us not to do that thing again. So what we need to do when anxiety/negativity takes over is re programme our brains.

So rather than focus on the fall itself/what happened spend some time focussing on all the times that you have ridden when things have gone well, try and re live these as vividly as you can so think about what you were seeing/hearing/feeling/smelling. Try and capture almost like a video what you were feeling, seeing, etc. and replay it over and over again.

Then think about that particular day and how well it was going, think about all the positives, such as you came off but were ok, your horse ran away but wasn't hurt, you went back to the same spot and the horse was ok, you got back on and rode and it was ok. So actually the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. Think about how you would deal with this situation again, and imagine yourself coping beautifully and not falling off instead you sit and deal with it and continue on your way without event.

When you get back on board take some deep breaths and go back into visualising all of the above. When ever anxiety starts to niggle put yourself back into your positive bubble... don't forget to breath as well.

The reality is that if we choose to get on a horse there is a strong probability that at some point we are likely to fall off the horse. Its all about putting such experiences into perspective and not allowing them to override the positive stuff... S***t happens but tomorrow is a totally new day.

Mrs G

Visit site
Wise words from HipoH. Also your fall is still very fresh in your mind, it will take time.
Another thing that has really helped me after a couple of bad falls is putting a balance strap on my saddle - if ever my horse is feeling tense or fresh I hold on to it with one hand and it gives me the confidence to kick on (its like my safety belt), and it has kept me in the saddle on more than one occasion. Obviously you cant predict a spook like you had today - these can happen to anyone, but it did get me over the first few nervous times back on board. Also they are cheap, unobtrusive and always on your saddle so you can't forget to put it on!

Equi

Visit site
Hope you're okay. Generally you should stick to walk around a corner, it will make the spook easier to sit to as you were possibly rising when she spun, and would have had little leverage to stay on.

Field04

Visit site
Thanks for your helpful advice everyone, I will take all of the things said on board. Although I am bruised and scrapped the fall is not whats making me feel the most anxious, or maybe it is and I just don't realise it. But the galloping down the road just terrifies me of what could of happened. Not sure how to get past that...

Landcruiser

Visit site
Report it to the BHS on their website as they are logging all incidents and accidents to horses and riders. Dog off a lead spooking your horse is a very common cause of problems. I reported an incident there myself last year when the same thing happened to me but the dog chased and my horse bolted. Scarey stuff!

TTK

Visit site
Ouch poor you, hope the ankle gets better soon. Re the loose horse on the roads issue, I think a bit of hi-viz on the horse is a good plan. A wide neckband and a quarter sheet. Helped when mine bogged off up the road at speed while I was dismounted doing a gate (grrrr).

Field04

Visit site
Hope you're okay. Generally you should stick to walk around a corner, it will make the spook easier to sit to as you were possibly rising when she spun, and would have had little leverage to stay on.

Good point, never thought of it like that. Thanks