First fall off my 3yo

Toast

Visit site
So it happened, it was always going to!! But i came off my 3yo yesterday.
It all happened rather quickly, he's been back in work for a couple of weeks now and we were just having a little walk in the school, not up to much trot work so we were just doing some circles and figures of eight ect. He kept spooking in the top left hand corner though so i decided we'd go over and have a look...
Everything fine until i turn him away. He saw a tractor that i'd not heard (im quite deaf) and did a 360 turn and set off in flat out gallop in the opposite direction chucking me out of the side door on the way. All would've been fine and dandy had he not kicked me in the back of the head as he went past, sending my riding hat flying. Lord knows how, it was done up correctly and has been professionally fitted.. but off it came!

Long story short, when i got to the hospital it was like a scene out of casualty, 3 paramedics, 3 nurses and a doctor all to get me on a spinal board and in a neck brace which i was on for 4 hours. They had to cut me out of all my clothes, my best breeches, favourite hoody and OH's motorbike jacket (much to his displeasure). Had to have at least 14 xrays on my skull, neck, back, pelvis and legs as i was in so much pain they wanted to check everywhere. Thankfully all xrays came back clear and i was allowed home after plenty of blood tests, neuro checks and morphine!!

So, just battered and bruised! Ive made friends with spotty horse since, but im just a bit gutted that the session had to end on a bad note. Going to have to start from the beginning with him now! Just what i needed.. pah!

However, Im so thankful i had my hat on, i would never ride without it but theres been so many times when ive forgotten it and been tempted, this experience has made me realise that you can never bank for these things happening, you should never take the risk!!

ladyt25

Visit site
Ooh, sounds nasty - good that you're ok though, must have been quite scary at the time . I have all this to come as I attempt to back my 3 yo later this year! :)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Ow! Glad you are ok - thank goodness for your hat missy or it could have been a different story!

Lintel

Visit site
Glad you are ok :D
Fell off (not my) three year old baby highland for the first time yesterday too :p
Not quite as exciting as yours though ;) :rolleyes:

Boxers

Visit site
That sounds really nasty. Glad to hear you're ok. Daughter fell off her youngster yesterday, but thankfully landed on her feet and held onto the reins!

Hope you won't be too sore for too long.

Parker79

Visit site
Ouch - very good job you had your hat on. Hope your feeling better soon.

I fractured my neck once in a fall....went to hospital and they sent me home without an xray! found out about a month later when Chiro insisted on xrays and I kept getting dizzy.

I have a rising 3yo...planning to get one of those super pricey inflating jackets! cant remember the name! but I want to avoid breakages!

Hope you feel better soon.

Toast

Visit site
Bloody hell Parker79, how lucky are you!!!! Naughty hospital for not xraying though. I couldnt fault Lancaster, they did their job really well and took every precaution.

I guess its one of those things you have to expect when backing a 3yo. Im sure it wont be the last time i fall off him haha. Ive got my 2yo to back at the back end of next summer when he turns 3... tempted to send him away to save myself further injury! :p

Parker79

Visit site
You might be onto something there! when the my latest chiro checked my back he found an old fracture in my midsection of my spine... I know the fall that did it... I was 'winded' and my instructor made me get back on and carry on jumping....I've decided I must be hardcore!! ;)

(I dont doooo jumping anymore!) :)

Glad your ok...dont let it put you off

Toast

Visit site
No i've got my mind set on getting back on as soon as i possibly can, i don't want it to wreck all my hard work.
I wanted to get back on when i fell off but i thought better of it as i couldn't tell which horse was the real one to put the saddle back on :p In hindsight with a back and head injury it wasn't the brightest idea id ever had but concussion makes people do odd things.
Im determined, i don't want it to knock my confidence because he's just the best horse, i know he's going to be something special he just needs work!

PerlinoPlank

Visit site
I came off my 3yo 9 weeks ago today and ended up with a broken spine, so I know how you feel! I did get back on straight away (must have been the adrenaline as apart from the world go dark for a little bit, I didn't feel THAT bad!) and glad I did.
It's really bashed my confidence though, and having been given the go ahead to get back on last week I rode the length of 3 stables and got off; could hardly breathe and every part of me was shaking.
Let me know how you do get on when you ride again as hopefully you can pass on some calming vibes and advice to me!!
Glad you're ok and hope you heal quickly :)

Toast

Visit site
That sounds **** =/ i hope you manage to build that confidence back up!! My lad is only three so i cant afford to lose my nerve for his sake or it'll affect him too! Thinking of getting someone to come and school him for me in the meantime though while my backs healing so he isn't just festering in a stable.. but that all depends on funds.. we'll see!