First Foal

Shoei

Visit site
Hi Guys,
I will be hopefully bringing home a new warmblood foal once weaned.

Whilst I have had many a young horse and handled friends foals, this will be my first, so any advice will be greatfuly received!

I do have some great friends who have lots of foal experience so will have lots of support but I am very excited!

I'm right in thinking he will be fine to geld at the stud if his testicles have both dropped?

ihatework

Visit site
Gelding wise you will hear different opinions on suitable timing but as long as they have both dropped (which they may not have) then they can be done. There is a valid argument that it’s less stressful for the foal to be done while they are small and still with mum. Then there is an equally valid argument for just leaving the foal to mature on a bit. So personal preference.

The biggest bit of advice I would give is explore weaning methods and how the stud plan to do this. Your home environment is also crucial - what weaning buddies does the foal have and what companions while it grows up?

Shoei

Visit site
Hi Guys,
So I travelled many miles to visit baby Raymond at the weekend, honestly he even melted my sceptic husbands heart!
He's just started the weaning process and luckily the stud do loads so he's going to be with them a few weeks yet.

I'm looking to buy him a leather headcollar he's currently in Shetland size. Do I go for foal or a Shetland headcollar? I also saw a weanling one but think that may dwarf his delicate head.

Clodagh

Visit site
Gelding wise you will hear different opinions on suitable timing but as long as they have both dropped (which they may not have) then they can be done. There is a valid argument that it’s less stressful for the foal to be done while they are small and still with mum. Then there is an equally valid argument for just leaving the foal to mature on a bit. So personal preference.

The biggest bit of advice I would give is explore weaning methods and how the stud plan to do this. Your home environment is also crucial - what weaning buddies does the foal have and what companions while it grows up?

Do you find it really annoying when you put the effort into a detailed answer to a specific question and don’t even get a thanks (even if questioner thought your answer was rubbish)?

Shoei

Visit site
ihatework, I do appolgise, I am normally very good at at least liking a post someone has taken to responding too, I must have just missed clicking on the icon for yours, your response was very helpful! I did in fact follow your advice and get him gelded.

Clodagh - thanks for your response too, it reminded me to be courteous and kind to all so i hope you are having a fantastic day!