First horse at private yard/property?

scopeybay98

Visit site
What's everyone's opinions on keeping a first horse on your own property? Has all amenities and necessities i.e. stables, turnout, arena etc. but of course you're missing out on the helpful tips from stable neighbours at a yard, or being able to just get someone more experienced than yourself to help you if things go south. Started thinking about this because of a small mention by someone else and I'd never really thought about it before, we just agreed we'd keep our first horse at the property. Now starting to think would keeping it at a yard for a while be better, and then moving it to the property? Not so keen on moving around though and of course non-horsey dad will wonder why spend money to keep it on a yard when we have stables. Not even starting to look yet for a few more months but thought I'd just asked as someone had mentioned it.

blitznbobs

Visit site
One is a terrible . Horses dont like living alone and it's rarely stress free if you only have one. I have done it for short periods for lots of reasons but my first job is always to find another. 2 is also not so great, if you want to take one out for the day then the other is alone which can be OK but can also be a disaster waiting to happen. 3 is a nice number - I have 4 at home at present 2 mares and 2 geldings so this works quite well too.

What are you going to do if you want to go away for a week? are you going to have a groom or a friend do them? Have you sourced (or know how you are going to source) this person. It can be a good idea to have one livery (if it's the right livery) at cheap rent on the arrangement that they fill this task -- ie they see to both / all horses when you are away etc. This way also your horse has company without you needing to own 2 or more horses.

It can get lonely on your own with, for example, no one to hack out with or no one to hold the horse for you while you get on if it's being a plonker... no one to chat to whilst you muck out etc - heaven for some and hell for others.

lots to think about. I have flitted between livery and having them at home and there are plusses and minuses to both.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
99% of (the I'm sure well meaning) 'advice' I've received on livery yards has been unasked for and is often dubious at best.

If you're used to looking after horses and have a good team of instructor, farrier or barefoot trimmer, physio and saddle fitter etc I'm not sure you'd miss out on much advice.

The social side might be different, but I rarely see many other liveries on my yard in the week as I'm up at different timessoused to riding alone etc.

Of course, if it's a novice or first time owner then that may be different.

ETA: I was assuming the horse would have company. I wouldn't be at all keen for a horse to be kept totally alone.

scopeybay98

Visit site
No the horse won't be kept on it's own. We have a colleague who will keep his horse there although we will be taking care of and exercising it. Also getting a shetland. So in total there will be 3 of them at a minimum.

scopeybay98

Visit site
How much stable manage experience do you have and how many horses are you bringing onto the property.

You make it sound like novice ownership and one horse on its own. Recipe for disaster!

Horse will not be on its own, I probably should've mentioned that. Have stable management experience and there will be 3 horses (technically 2 and one pony)

coblets

Visit site
‘First time owner’ can mean anything from a novice who’s only just started trotting off the leadrein, to someone who’s worked with horses all their life but never had the means to buy one. As long as you’re willing to put in the extra work that a YO would usually do, and are knowledgeable about keeping a horse, I don’t see a problem with it. ‘Course a first time owner would do better with a lower maintence animal, but regardless you’re going to be getting advice from your vet/farrier/etc. I’d go for it if I were you.

scopeybay98

Visit site
One is a terrible . Horses dont like living alone and it's rarely stress free if you only have one. I have done it for short periods for lots of reasons but my first job is always to find another. 2 is also not so great, if you want to take one out for the day then the other is alone which can be OK but can also be a disaster waiting to happen. 3 is a nice number - I have 4 at home at present 2 mares and 2 geldings so this works quite well too.

What are you going to do if you want to go away for a week? are you going to have a groom or a friend do them? Have you sourced (or know how you are going to source) this person. It can be a good idea to have one livery (if it's the right livery) at cheap rent on the arrangement that they fill this task -- ie they see to both / all horses when you are away etc. This way also your horse has company without you needing to own 2 or more horses.

It can get lonely on your own with, for example, no one to hack out with or no one to hold the horse for you while you get on if it's being a plonker... no one to chat to whilst you muck out etc - heaven for some and hell for others.

lots to think about. I have flitted between livery and having them at home and there are plusses and minuses to both.

Horse will not be alone, there will be other horses. I would never have a horse alone, have friends who have had horrible experiences with that and I know all the damages it can do. There will be 3.

We don't go away often although if we do my cousin owns horses and has already volunteered to take care of the horses and property if ever needed.

The longterm small issues like having no one to hack with aren't my concern- I'm more worried about whether or not it's wishful thinking to assume we can just buy said horse and bring it on to the property with no worries. Does the first week of ownership normally go awry? Or is that a small percent. I'm just wondering if we're in over our heads for assuming we're capable of keeping horses at home just because we can at a livery yard. Is there a big difference? Is it only for the advanced?

scopeybay98

Visit site
‘First time owner’ can mean anything from a novice who’s only just started trotting off the leadrein, to someone who’s worked with horses all their life but never had the means to buy one. As long as you’re willing to put in the extra work that a YO would usually do, and are knowledgeable about keeping a horse, I don’t see a problem with it. ‘Course a first time owner would do better with a lower maintence animal, but regardless you’re going to be getting advice from your vet/farrier/etc. I’d go for it if I were you.

In this case we are first time owners with 7 years of experience. Because there is no rule about how many years experience you need to have before buying a horse it's worrying as I think we'll be fine but you never know and Ive never asked anyone about it. So just wondering how different it is to keep your horse at a diy yard rather than your own private yard.

scopeybay98

Visit site
99% of (the I'm sure well meaning) 'advice' I've received on livery yards has been unasked for and is often dubious at best.

If you're used to looking after horses and have a good team of instructor, farrier or barefoot trimmer, physio and saddle fitter etc I'm not sure you'd miss out on much advice.

The social side might be different, but I rarely see many other liveries on my yard in the week as I'm up at different timessoused to riding alone etc.

ETA: I was assuming the horse would have company. I wouldn't be at all keen for a horse to be kept totally alone.

We are first time owners. Now wondering how different it is keeping a horse at a DIY yard than your own private yard as that's where we are now, but going to move to own yard later in the year.

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
I moved my horse from Livery to the farmer's field next to me on last year's lockdown (which I rent). I got her a mini companion, and they have a lovely stable at home which they share. She was stressed being stabled at the Livery, bullied, and I was not that happy there either (very cliquey). She is like a different horse, so happy and relaxed, yes we are on our own but I don't care, she doesn't seem to either. She adores looking out at from her stable on our driveway watching the birds and cats and is just happy. And of course they get lots of attention from me!

Dyllymoo

Visit site
It would be my dream however I would probably get at least 2 or even 3 (2 small companions and a ridden one).

I would also be glad of less "advice" from other liveries.

I have a good support network outside of yards (friends and instructors and physios etc).

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would try it at home especially as you will have 2 other equines there and see how you get on, you can always move to a livery yard afterwards if you really dont feel happy. dont forget to sort out what you are doing with the muck, will you have a traditional muck heap or a skip which will be collected. lots of people forget this very essential thing to be organised..also you will need somewhere to store hay and bedding and an outside tap for water, its a pain if you have to tramp up and down to the house for water.... if not at a yard you need to have someone you can call on in case of accident or illness if no one else in your family is horsey....good luck

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I keep my horse at home - with a mini Shetland for company.

I find having a good team of people to help is important. I have a professional who rides the horse each week. The farrier, physio and vet are all helpful.

There is a lack of advice or more a second opinion - if you have a horsey cousin that could help. And ideally see if there are others locally to ride with.

twobearsarthur

Visit site
I’m going to be in the minority here. I have 8 beautiful monarch stables a 20x60 floodlit arena and 20 acres of post and rail fenced land at home and keep my horse away at livery. All my friends think I’m crazy but I love the social side of having horses, wouldn’t want to have to deal with any issues on my own (from broken fences to advice) I work full time and don’t have time to take hay/straw/feed deliveries or deal with disposing of muck heaps etc... If I didn’t have to work then yes I would have horses at home (but I’d probably fill the spare stables with liveries!) but I can’t always guarantee I’ll be home from work when I expect and can’t be tied to the yard. I’ve been fortunate I’ve had horses for 35 years and have only been on amazing DIY and livery yards, my closest friends have been people I’ve met on livery yards and I’ve never had the nightmare experiences other people talk about. Like I said I’m most definitely in the minority but as long as you’re aware of the commitment it takes, have a support system in place (it is different than DIY as anything that breaks or needs to be dealt with is down to you) and don’t mind not having the social side of things then go for it. You can be your own boss, don’t have anyone to answer to and can do everything just how you want. Like anything in life there are pros and cons to both.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Horse will not be alone, there will be other horses. I would never have a horse alone, have friends who have had horrible experiences with that and I know all the damages it can do. There will be 3.

We don't go away often although if we do my cousin owns horses and has already volunteered to take care of the horses and property if ever needed.

The longterm small issues like having no one to hack with aren't my concern- I'm more worried about whether or not it's wishful thinking to assume we can just buy said horse and bring it on to the property with no worries. Does the first week of ownership normally go awry? Or is that a small percent. I'm just wondering if we're in over our heads for assuming we're capable of keeping horses at home just because we can at a livery yard. Is there a big difference? Is it only for the advanced?
No... it’s not hugely different. If you can muck out and know how to fix a fence (and have checked your fences are sound) you should be fine

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
We moved to our own place last year and unexpectedly found ourselves in the market for a new ridden horse to keep my youngster company after losing my older boy. I have almost 30 years experience having had horses since I was small, even so I was surprised by how much having sole charge knocked my confidence.

Don’t get me wrong, I love being able to look outside and see them merrily grazing and late night cuddles are the best, but the self doubt does tend to creep in more than when I was on livery, especially when you’re dealing with illness or injuries. Confidence blips are also harder to bounce back from as even when you’re having a wobble you have to crack on and fake it til you make it unless you’re lucky enough to have a friendly neighbour to lend a hand.

The land management also takes up way more time than you could ever imagine! I’m super lucky that the husband loves tending to the paddocks, but I’d be totally stuffed without his help.

In your shoes I’d be inclined to get to know the new horse at livery first and then once you’re confident move them home.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I've got ponies at home (having had "proper" horses before on DIY 15 years ago) and I think I've been pretty honest on here that I've had some wobbles! I find it hard not to have anyone to "just check" things (OK, every single tiny thing!) with, and I'm constantly panicking that I'm ruining these ponies in some way (instilling bad habits etc).

But 18 months down the line and I feel like I have a really good team to call on- a fantastic female farrier, lovely vet, an amazing teenager who comes and does basic groundwork/manners work, and a lovely local woman who will come and do the ponies if I'm away or ill.

So I'd say you'll definitely benefit from some external guidance. But that guidance is probably better coming from someone you've actively chosen to come to your house, rarhr8than an unqualified random at a livery yard. Probs costs the same though.

If you're doing a lot of riding on your own, it's really miserable to have a horse you're scared of, or even just wary of. I would choose something that you can cope with happily even on its worst days, and that you can just enjoy wholeheartedly. Ie go for something a good few notches below what you might be able to cope with at the riding school.

SEL

Visit site
I think you should try and if you start to feel out of your depth or lonely then put the horse on livery. I had 18 months where the DIY livery yard I was on closed (going for housing) but the landowner allowed me to stay there for a nominal charge. I was expecting to feel lonely but actually I was fine and it was nice to have the place to myself. When they finally wanted me off the land I went to a lovely yard just in time for lockdown, so actually I was grateful for the social side then. I'd go back to having a place to myself though.

scopeybay98

Visit site
I've got ponies at home (having had "proper" horses before on DIY 15 years ago) and I think I've been pretty honest on here that I've had some wobbles! I find it hard not to have anyone to "just check" things (OK, every single tiny thing!) with, and I'm constantly panicking that I'm ruining these ponies in some way (instilling bad habits etc).

But 18 months down the line and I feel like I have a really good team to call on- a fantastic female farrier, lovely vet, an amazing teenager who comes and does basic groundwork/manners work, and a lovely local woman who will come and do the ponies if I'm away or ill.

So I'd say you'll definitely benefit from some external guidance. But that guidance is probably better coming from someone you've actively chosen to come to your house, rarhr8than an unqualified random at a livery yard. Probs costs the same though.

If you're doing a lot of riding on your own, it's really miserable to have a horse you're scared of, or even just wary of. I would choose something that you can cope with happily even on its worst days, and that you can just enjoy wholeheartedly. Ie go for something a good few notches below what you might be able to cope with at the riding school.
I’ve had many people say this to me and it sounds like a good plan but I am a bit confused- does going a few notches below what I can cope with at a riding school mean temperamental-wise or the horses ability, i.e. go for something really calm when I’m able to deal with spooky horses normally or go for something that is working a few comp levels below where I ride at.

scopeybay98

Visit site

Horse will not be kept alone, will have 2 other horses to keep it company.

scopeybay98

Visit site
I moved my horse from Livery to the farmer's field next to me on last year's lockdown (which I rent). I got her a mini companion, and they have a lovely stable at home which they share. She was stressed being stabled at the Livery, bullied, and I was not that happy there either (very cliquey). She is like a different horse, so happy and relaxed, yes we are on our own but I don't care, she doesn't seem to either. She adores looking out at from her stable on our driveway watching the birds and cats and is just happy. And of course they get lots of attention from me!
Ahh that sounds amazing. Hopefully it goes just as well for us as it is for you.

scopeybay98

Visit site
i would try it at home especially as you will have 2 other equines there and see how you get on, you can always move to a livery yard afterwards if you really dont feel happy. dont forget to sort out what you are doing with the muck, will you have a traditional muck heap or a skip which will be collected. lots of people forget this very essential thing to be organised..also you will need somewhere to store hay and bedding and an outside tap for water, its a pain if you have to tramp up and down to the house for water.... if not at a yard you need to have someone you can call on in case of accident or illness if no one else in your family is horsey....good luck
We’ve sorted for a skip for the muck and there’s a feed room where we’ll keep feed hay and bedding, and a tack room that has a tap along with taps outside each stable. Do you know anything about field maintenance? We know the obvious but we’ve done land maintenance before but never land with equines on it. We’ve decided on our winter field and summer field but other than switching the fields is there anything else to know?

scopeybay98

Visit site
We moved to our own place last year and unexpectedly found ourselves in the market for a new ridden horse to keep my youngster company after losing my older boy. I have almost 30 years experience having had horses since I was small, even so I was surprised by how much having sole charge knocked my confidence.

Don’t get me wrong, I love being able to look outside and see them merrily grazing and late night cuddles are the best, but the self doubt does tend to creep in more than when I was on livery, especially when you’re dealing with illness or injuries. Confidence blips are also harder to bounce back from as even when you’re having a wobble you have to crack on and fake it til you make it unless you’re lucky enough to have a friendly neighbour to lend a hand.

The land management also takes up way more time than you could ever imagine! I’m super lucky that the husband loves tending to the paddocks, but I’d be totally stuffed without his help.

In your shoes I’d be inclined to get to know the new horse at livery first and then once you’re confident move them home.
What kind of land management do you need to do

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
What kind of land management do you need to do

We have 9 acres for 2 horses and 2 ponies. We tend to spend our non-working waking hours poo picking, fixing fences (always tends to be when it’s peeing it down or there’s somewhere you need to be), filling in rabbit holes, flattening molehills, general pest control, removing rag and other unsavoury weeds, rollering, harrowing, topping paddocks and reseeding where necessary. Currently we’re trying to rebalance the soil in a couple of the paddocks as the previous owners over-fertilised them. We also had a cold stint last winter where all the automatic waterers froze which was fun in -7.

It sounds silly but in my head I’d only really factored in poo picking and the odd broken fence, I think the rest I’d assumed would be more occasional than it really is to stay on top of properly.

We 100% don’t regret the decision to have them at home as there are so many upsides to it, but it’s definitely more work than we anticipated and I’d say ironically I probably ride a lot less now they’re at home.

Last edited:

Lyle

Visit site
If you've purchased the correct sort of horse for your experience level, and have done your research and are connected to professional/experienced horse advice I cant see it being an issue at all. Find a good, reputable instructor, join a riding club/pony club, seek help if needed. Too many cooks in the kitchen (I.e. advice from everyone who owns an equine at a livery yard) can create more issues than not.