First Horse

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
I used to go riding when i was younger, didnt do a big deal but enjoyed it until i had a very bad accident and it put me right off. Continued to work around horses but always refused to get back in the saddle.

For the last 9 years I have not been around horses, until the start of the summer my friend started to work in an open farm that offered horse treks, well i went riding there 2-3 times a week and boy did that horse bug bite!!!!!

Have checked and there are no riding stables nearby that offer lessons for adults so im worried that i wont get riding again until next summer!

My husband suggested that i get my own horse as hes been riding since he was 10. My friend is a riding instuctor and said if I had my own horse that she would give me lessons.

However im nervous that i wont care for it right, its been so long since i worked with horses (well have helped friends with theirs) and my husband only ever rode and was never shown how to care for a horse.

Anyone know a good site that helps beginners care for their first horse, or even if someone can give hints/tips

The horse im going to view is a mediumweight cob, hes a 12 year old gelding

CastleMouse

Visit site
Try http://www.newrider.com, a very helpful website
smile.gif

amzy

Visit site
If you google 'New Rider' there is a site for new riders and novice owners. Good luck with your future horse... A cob sounds like the right choice for a beginner.
smile.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Good luck, where are you going to keep it? If your going on a yard there is bound to be someone there who with give you no end of advise (whether you want it or not!!!). Plus you can always poat any question you might have on the forum. Is your friend/instructor going to see the horse with you?

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
My cousin has a livery yard and she said when i pick a horse I like then she will go with me to check it out and tell me what she thinks. She is 33 and has been riding since she was young and a veterinary nurse!

I just feel so silly asking her for advise!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
That's good. Don't be daft, and remeber there is no such thing as a stupid question (just stupid answers!!!) and whatever you ask, someone somewhere is bound to have been asked that question before, we all had to start somewhere. My friend didn't start riding properly till her forties having had a bad accident as a teenager. She then had a year with her horse on working livery, before taking the plunge and going DIY (bit of a batism by fire), it has all worked fine (with a little help from her friends). Most yards are very friendly, with everyone happy to help/give advise when needed. Good luck again and keep us posted.

4whitesocks

Visit site
Seriously there is no such thing as a stupid questions - I haven't kept a horse since I was a kid and then it was really just trying to get out of having to muck out! Have been in livery for the past 2 years and have been very lucky that the yard I was in totally molly-coddled me....now I've bought a house in the country and enough land to keep my boy Sid (be ready by next summer) and I'm petrified!!!!!
seriously it is quite daunting but I have no shame anymore about how little I know and just bite the bullet & ask!

Folks on here are great with advice

Cobnut1

Visit site
Could you do a course at an agricultural course, in horse and stable/feild management?

I did one of these and it covered everything from different feedstuffs (what they did and why) to getting horse ready for travelling long disatnce and mucking out..... I think it was an 8 week course, one evening a week.... It was very good, it taught me some things i didn't know, and re-established things I did know