First lesson for Ludo

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've been smiling all yesterday and night.. I took Ludo to a group lesson with friends, to start his education about the big wide world. It went better than I could possibly have hoped.

He loaded and travelled fine. A bit of moving about, and I changed the partition to give him more space, but no real problem. I tacked him up tied to the van and he was perfect. He stood at the block for me to get on in spite of being eyes on stalks about all the horses there were there at the livery yard we were at.

He went into the lesson with five other horses, the first time he's ever been in an arena with other horses, and he settled after just a few minutes, though he felt like he was going to explode for those few minutes. He did some group work in trot, had a canter on his own, and I called it quits at half an hour, one third of which was spent resting in the middle between spells of trotting.

Everyone thought he was stunning and congratulated me on finding him. I have to agree, he is wonderful to ride.

I'll post some video this afternoon when the OH has finished loading it. When you watch it, please be aware that he's not yet four, has done very little work, and I am not remotely concerned that he is unsteady in the mouth and doesn't always have a perfect rhythm. I'm not looking for advice about how to train him, whether you think he's sound, the fact he dishes, or anything but to share my intense pleasure at how he is coming on with people who have asked to see more of him. Thank you.

ycbm

Visit site
When you watch these, please be aware that he's not yet four, has done very little work, has never worked in company, and I am not remotely concerned that he is unsteady in the mouth and doesn't always have a perfect rhythm. I'm not looking for advice about how to train him, whether you think he's sound, the fact he dishes, or anything but to share my intense pleasure at how he is coming on with people who have asked to see more of him. Thank you.

ycbm

Visit site
Looking at them again, I think he's going to end up a very big horse! I'm five foot eight and he is narrow through the body (though a wide wide at the wither) and still my foot isn't below his belly line. When I bought him, he looked like he'd make a light middleweight sixteen hands tops. Then we gelded him and he grew .... and grew .... and

I'm guessing 16.2 true middleweight now, it's very clear that there's more height and a LOT more substance to come.

PS, that arena is as dead as a doornail underfoot.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
He really is lovely! You should be very very proud of him :)

I am. He was a chance find in the middle of a field who I bought for his colour without even seeing him led up in a headcollar. And he is one of the most physically talented horses I've ever sat on. (And I've owned some seriously well bred warmbloods!)

It is SUCH a struggle to leave him to grow up and not work him much while he's so young and weak.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
He's an absolute star. The best thing is that you are enjoying working with him and that shines through on the video. It made me broody for those baby horse days that I'd vowed to never return to. I'd better not watch any more. Well done to both of you.

ycbm

Visit site
DAMS, it's the fact that they change so fast that's so rewarding, isn't it? I'm loving the two green boys right now 💕

ycbm

Visit site
I think he's going to look like a completely different horse in another year Shady.

Muffin soon.

tristar

Visit site
lovely, i love his steady rhythm, relaxation and way he uses his rear end, a lot more power to come through later

well done

ycbm

Visit site
What a good boy:) Can't believe that's his first time out, he's so level headed about it all! Thanks for posting.

I do have six minutes of the very start, where for the first two or three minutes he was absolutely electric and I wondered what I'd done! Then he did what he always does, worked out that nothing was a threat or anything to get upset about, and then just did what he can do. I did think it was pretty exceptional for first time away from home (except for a one mile trip down to a friend six months ago), and first time ever with other horses in an arena with him.

daffy44

Visit site
How lovely to see! For a first time out, and with other horses as well, to behave that beautifully is fantastic, what a gorgeous temperament, and lovely paces and so much potential, I imagine you are absolutely buzzing right now, and you deserve to be, well done!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I do have six minutes of the very start, where for the first two or three minutes he was absolutely electric and I wondered what I'd done! Then he did what he always does, worked out that nothing was a threat or anything to get upset about, and then just did what he can do. I did think it was pretty exceptional for first time away from home (except for a one mile trip down to a friend six months ago), and first time ever with other horses in an arena with him.

My spotty was the same first time out.
Once he figured out the rules after the first ten minutes or so he settles lol

I do like him and he will still be maturing up to 8 years old. Mine stopped growing at eight. He is in wide/ changing to x wide saddle.
I think the first eight months spent hacking then 10/15 minutes school once/twice a week he was so gangly and unbalanced.
The hacking helped loads.

I do like him

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
well done, he is going to be a bit special...he has lovely paces already . cant wait to see him grow up....i understand why you are finding it hard to take it steady...are you going to so a bit of everything with him and see what he is good at? looks like a good dressage prospect already

ycbm

Visit site
well done, he is going to be a bit special...he has lovely paces already . cant wait to see him grow up....i understand why you are finding it hard to take it steady...are you going to so a bit of everything with him and see what he is good at? looks like a good dressage prospect already

I feel a bit past doing much jumping these days, so almost certainly only farm ride type stuff in that respect.

I don't really enjoy competing, I'm not good at handling the pressure, but it's going to be very tempting to see what scores we might be able to get in the dressage arena, isn't it?

I mostly want to see what I can school him up to at home, because he's glorious to ride and there's so much more to come. And some nice hacks round the forest, I hope.