First lesson for Ludo

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i must admit i found competing really difficult because i used to get so nervous and really enjoyed the schooling part ..might be nice to do a couple of riding club/unaffiliated dressage comps just to see how far he had come, in the future obviously....

Mule

Visit site
I much prefer schooling, hacking and lessons to competing. I did very little competing last year as the beast had health problems. I really didn't miss it at all.

Asha

Visit site
What a good boy ! You cant ask for anything else for his first time out. Hes going to have a lovely canter when hes stronger, bet its comfortable to sit to.

I recognise that place, its Alsage isn't it ?

monte1

Visit site
Wow, he is a super, like everyone else has already said, he is going to be a fab horse. you ride him so beautifully and quietly, I wish I had such a quiet seat and hands. :-}

i also reckon he will be a big lad once matured

Berpisc

Visit site
He is a great lad, lucky he has someone like you who can appreciate (there's a pun lurking in there somewhere) him. It is good to see when youngsters are given time and space to see things and have experiences like this, as you will know, this is such good grounding.

tristar

Visit site
oh go to a few comps, when you are in the mood of course, how could you not? you have the horse and the transport, to hell with the pressure just go to show off

(expect to see videos of said horse in comp sometime in the future)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What a good boy ! You cant ask for anything else for his first time out. Hes going to have a lovely canter when hes stronger, bet its comfortable to sit to.

I recognise that place, its Alsage isn't it ?

Alsager, yes. We meet there for a low key lesson every two weeks. Our trainer has more tricks up her sleeve than Penn and Teller 😁

ycbm

Visit site
oh go to a few comps, when you are in the mood of course, how could you not? you have the horse and the transport, to hell with the pressure just go to show off

(expect to see videos of said horse in comp sometime in the future)

I'm usually fine up to novice, when I start fiddling with the horse to show what he can do, instead of just riding normally and letting it happen. I fully expect him to show some seventies at prelim later in the year, but after that it'll all fall to pieces like normal 😂

First outing is pencilled in for a W&T test later this month, snow permitting, but we won't even go in the ring if he's too wound up by it all.

tristar

Visit site
well do what you can do and enjoy it, and who knows what confidence may come from keeping within your comfort zone, he is untried as yet so will be interesting to see the future unfold.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
He looks very nice indeed has he got a really long stride he looks it from his trot? When he consistently takes the contact he will look stunning his colouring draws even more attention to him, its nice you arent pushing him and letting him develop gradually. That canter looks like it would effortlessly get you over a large fence or even just loping along for a long stretch out hacking

I'm very impressed given my 21 year old spooked at a patch of sand earlier- how is he not spooking at those coats on the fence 😂

Do you think he will keep his white socks or will he be like a grey where they eventually fade? They make him look particularly striking along with his snip

ycbm

Visit site
He looks very nice indeed has he got a really long stride he looks it from his trot? When he consistently takes the contact he will look stunning his colouring draws even more attention to him, its nice you arent pushing him and letting him develop gradually. That canter looks like it would effortlessly get you over a large fence or even just loping along for a long stretch out hacking

I'm very impressed given my 21 year old spooked at a patch of sand earlier- how is he not spooking at those coats on the fence 😂

Do you think he will keep his white socks or will he be like a grey where they eventually fade? They make him look particularly striking along with his snip

He has a huge stride. That arena is really deadening and sucks the energy out of them. At home, it's even bigger and I'm having to learn all over again how to sit a huge trot. The canter is just glorious.

He did a horrible spook right at the start at the jumps in the corner, and was electric at horses cantering in the field 50 meters away, then settled and didn't bother about anything else the whole time. Ten and fifteen year old horses were spooking at the coats but not my baby 😊.

I think he may always have varnish on his knees and hocks, but they are very grey, so I'm not sure they won't go white. He's always going to have rusty ears though 😂. He's clean, all the patches are colour, not mud , honest 😁

Apercrumbie

Visit site
He's lovely and looks just as he should - a gangly baby learning about the world, albeit with a mature brain. He's going to be a cracker!

ETA - reading back that sounds harsh, I hope it comes across as intended - in that he looks lovely, sensible, great potential but rightly looks his age.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
I understood completely. I think he looks a bit young :) I've had four year olds I would do a lot more with than I will with this one, but he moves so huge and loose that he's going to do himself an injury if we do too much too soon. I doubt he'll be jumping anything this year, just hacking and short schooling sessions mostly in a wider arena than that one.