First Lesson Today

Parkranger

Visit site
Well after 5 weeks of having fun, we've started the real work.

I have to admit that he's not the most fun horse to school and is very heavy on the forehand bit etc so I have been putting it off.

Goes to show how invaluable lessons are - my instructor got on him so she could understand why I was having a few problems and said that she was bet money that he's an ex racer - epseically as he tends to launch into a canter and when he gets frustrated he just keeps going faster to try and correct himself. He's also light on the straight and the minute you come into a corner he leans on your hands alot for balance.

Goods news is when getting him into an outline, I've discovered he has a magic 'spot' which is quite a way back on his side - when you gently squeeze there he comes straight down, starts tracking - no need for hands at all
grin.gif
He also bends with just leg but doesn't understand moving off the leg yet.

I'm hoping that at 10 he's not too old to reschool and I think that with the right guidance I can do it - he's responsive and eager to please if a little confused!

Ahhhh, I love my boy........
blush.gif

ruscara

Visit site
That sounds very positive indeed, and shows the value of a good instructor. You have lots to work with, and I am sure you will see improvements in him in leaps and bounds, just as soon as he understands what you want. He does sound lovely!
smile.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
thank you! I'd rather have a horse that I can work with and see results than something 'ready made'....think it helps with confidence aswell when you can see results.....plus I couldn't afford a ready made!

_jetset_

Visit site
Lessons are fantastic, especially when you feel they go well.

I always think it's helpful when there is someone telling you what to do and watching you from the ground. I also like getting my instructor on Hannah because I can then see what she is doing so I know more through feeling when she does it.

We have someone on our yard who doesn't think they need lessons, they are good enough without them... I just think, "well, my instructor has lessons still, and she has ridden for GB junior team and is a professional eventer... and she syill needs them!"

Well done you and Ty... you'll find his schooling will come on leaps and bounds with your instructor's help!

Rebecca