First long arena test

nato

Visit site
I've been doing dressage with my little mare for about a year now, and we've finally bitten the bullet and affiliated this year :)

I have only ever done short arena tests, have been looking at doing a long arena one and am not sure whether or not to go for it? Can anyone advise on the differences (bar the centre line and diagonal that goes on forever!) between the two, and any tips for riding a long arena test. In particular remembering all the letters!

Also, is there anything I should be doing competently before giving a long arena test a stab? We scored 68% in our last two short arena tests, and never any lower than 65%.

NZJenny

Visit site
OMG I hate doing tests in short arenas - everything happens far too quickly!

60 m gives you just a bit more time to think about it - much easier.

nato

Visit site

Thanks! A couple of my friends who compete at Novice level said the same.

Did you notice any differences when riding the long arena vs short arena that I should watch out for? I know that sometimes we can drift on straight lines so trying to keep it together for longer will be key :)

eggs

Visit site
I only have a short arena at home but much prefer to riding the long arena tests. As I can't practice the whole test at home I just ride the various movements that are required in the test anywhere that suits. I don't actually like riding through the whole test at home though as I worry that the horse will start to anticipate movements.

I find it easier not to learn the test by which letter I have to ride to but by the pattern eg. 'circle left 15 m at the new letter' rather than circle left 15m at P.

If you have to do 20m circles at A or C make sure they are a 20m circle and that you don't drift further up the arena.

The centre line will feel as though it is going on forever but I find it helpful as I can really look up and ride forward straight at the judge.

j1ffy

Visit site
As others have said, once you've done a couple the long arena tests feel a lot easier. I was told by someone that the additional letters are 'RSVP', which apparently is a useful memory aid except I never know which one is where ;) As egg said, I find it much easier to learn the pattern rather than the letters.

Have a look at a crib sheet that shows you where 20m circles should take you - e.g. a 20m circle at A or C would have the furthest point 2m after the 'new' letter: http://www.horseoz.com/riding_articles/Riding_Circles/riding_circles.html

leflynn

Visit site

I feel the opposite, that first centre line take FOREVER in a long arena test lol! I have to remember to tell myself to breathe down it!

Go for it OP, I found 15m circles tricky to place and size in a long arena for some reason, worth doing a trial run in the right size if you can so you know how it will feel and what you need to work on :)

Chumsmum

Visit site
I've done a couple of unaff long arena tests and yes that first centre line takes forever (especially on a 14.2) but I love the extra time and space. Also harder work for the horse than you think. I too struggle with the sizing of the 15m circles and intend to hire a long arena to practice. Good luck and enjoy!

nato

Visit site
Thanks everyone, first test is BD15 so for anyone who knows it it's actually quite a nice test :) lots of short diagonals and 20m circles at A and C. I downloaded the test from Dressage Diagrams so I'll be able to see the correct sizes and places to turn!

Love the idea of remembering RSVP!

silv

Visit site
Good luck with your test, I much prefer riding in long arenas, they seem to be the norm round here, cannot imagine trying to do a test in a 20x40, it would seem much more difficult.

oldie48

Visit site
TBH I think it depends on your horse. My horse is very forward going and can get a bit onward bound and long, particularly in canter, on the long side of a long arena. He's improved as he's learned to take more weight behind, but it's something to be aware of. However, I've just looked at P15 and you don't have much canter on the long side before you canter across the diagonal and trans to trot, so you shouldn't have a problem with that in this test. Entry can be interesting, if you start to drift a bit by the time you get to C you can be way off the centre line but it's a good discipline to keep straight. Just have fun and enjoy it and post a video!

miss_c

Visit site
I love long arena tests and actively avoid short arenas where I can these days. Genie has gotten over the idea of galloping down the long side (she used to show) and I remember turning onto my first ever long centre line and thinking '**** it's a long way!'.

When learning them I think of 'corner markers, middle markers and funny markers' rather than remembering the letters - I learn the pattern instead.