First lorry. Possibly. Any advice

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
Thinking - and it's probs a long shot - of possibly maybe perhaps somehow buying a first lorry. Would like something quite small. For one 15hh horse most of the time but it would be nice to be able to take 2.
I've seen a few wanted ads and most say they don't want a can conversion. Why is this? Seems sensible.
Any other advice folks. Or is it easier to stick to my trailer

maree t

Visit site
I love my van conversion , I have had it 4 years . You just have to be very aware of the payload . I mainly use it for ponies but have travelled a 17hh in it on his own . Never had a problem with any horse or pony . You do have to make sure they are well built as some dont have any reinforcement between the cab and the horse area . Unless they are lightweight and all tack etc carried seperatley then I wouldnt put 2 15 hh horses in one tbh .

Landcruiser

Visit site
I think it very much depends on your budget. My budget was about £4000 so I was limited to much older lorries, and 7.5 tons as there are no decent 3.5 around for that sort of price. My lorry is 20+ years old, very heavy and slow, but has a massive living, and I love getting away doing TREC for weekends. I've done the tent and the sleeping in the trailer, and the lorry is 100% preferable. It's also great to be able to leave lots of stuff on board.

Ongoing costs are also a consideration - last year my plating was £1500, nothing major, just lots of little bits.

turnbuckle

Visit site
For one horse (unless he dislikes a trailer) the only advantage you get from a wagon is a little more safety.

If well done, the simple van conversions can be fine - but there a fair few dodgy one's out there....

Have you a pre-97 licence? 7.5T offer way better value and you get used to driving them quite quickly. And they are really the way if you want meaningful living...

The other question is does your current vehicle do the job? I always favour a small everyday car and a wagon...each built for the job.

And as above - what's yr budget?

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
Yes I am old so I have all the entitlements and none of the skill
I currently have a 5 yo Ifor 506 which I've had since new. I Tow it with a large engined 09 Passat which is also a good everyday car. I don't want a 4x4. I do a lot of non pulling miles and don't want the shocking fuel consumption of a 4x4. Been there.

My worry is nevertheless the car. It's a big ask of a car and I sometimes think I'd be better off with a wee lorry and a medium sized car.

Budget about 10k

Myloubylou

Visit site
I got a '04 plate iveco daily 5.2t lorry last year. Doesn't look that much bigger than a 3.5t but better payload as wanted 2 carry 2 medium sized cobs. Spent £9750 but then replaced with aluminium floor as heard horror stories about wooden floor. Also spent £200 on pre purchase inspection but was worth it as able to get discount from seller that I used on repairs. Really happy with it so if you can find one I'd recommend

ROG

Visit site
If looking at travelling two then its deffo going to be over 3.5 tonnes GVW so perhaps a 5 or 6 tonner large van type

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
Well as I said 2 would be nice but I do understand about payload. I'm more interested in views on van conversions than taking 2. Can anyone advise why people might steer me against vans. My friend has a super one.

Myloubylou

Visit site
Agree with Rog, on paper would be just enough payload in a 3.5t van conversion for a day trip for my too but worried about safety. A 5.2t is more expensive to run but been quite impressed with fuel economy.

turnbuckle

Visit site
Very much doubt you would a decent 5.2T for yr budget.

I would stick with what you've got and just keep on top of maintenance. Shocks, springs, brakes all pretty cheap, esp if yiour garage uses pattern parts. Suspension linkages ditto. That's really all that might wear quicker pulling a trailer.

The engine will be up to it no probs, clutch may need doing sooner rather than later but that's not a bank-buster.

Perhaps keep yr eye open for a lucky-find 3.5T van - for a small horse they are fine if well done. But beware the cheap bodge jobs, a proper bulkhead is a MUST, ditto either a steel floorpan or alli planking. This is a good article on the subject: https://horsemobile.co.uk/blog/3-5t-buyers-guide/

JulesRules

Visit site
I used to have a trailer towed with a 4x4 used just for towing (trailer and caravan). Sold my trailer when my horse spent 12 months out of work. OH and I both changed our everyday cars which meant we also sold the 4x4.

Fast forward 12 months and I wanted to get horse out and about again. I now drive a Fiat 500 so after considering all the options decided to get a lorry.

My budget was about half what yours is and I still managed to have several options so I imagine your options for a lorry at that budget would be decent. I originally looked at a nice 6 tonner which was a good compromise on size and payload but it failed it's pre purchase inspection. In the end I bought a 7.5 ton that carries 2 and has living.

Now I am used to driving it I love it. Driving it home when I collected it was a bit hairy! The only other downside is shutting the ramp on my own is a bit of an effort but there is usually someone about to help.

The upsides over are a trailer are no faffing with hitching up, just drop the ramp, chuck the horses on and go; on days like yesterday when it's freezing I have a nice warm place to sit and a kettle to make a nice hot drink between classes and the insurance is barely more than for a trailer.

I would have a look around at a few options in your price range and whatever you do get a pre purchase inspection

ROG

Visit site
FREE OFFER

I am an ex LGV instructor and advanced LGV/car observer

If near me in LEICESTER then I am willing to help with the driving of a 7.5 tonner (or larger) for FREE (with any expenses covered)

Cragrat

Visit site
FREE OFFER

I am an ex LGV instructor and advanced LGV/car observer

If near me in LEICESTER then I am willing to help with the driving of a 7.5 tonner (or larger) for FREE (with any expenses covered)

Very kind!:)

I wish I lived near Leicester !

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
Perhaps you have realised I worked in Leicester when I joined this site, and lived there 3 days per week at that time. I still have a flat there, but its rented now. I moved home for work in 2009 and have been in NE England since. Horse is stabled in county Durham.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I liked the van types but had a big 16.2 so decided to go coach built (think that's what it's called! It's a proper lorry shape!)
I do love it but turns out the 16.2 absolutely refused to load and as a semi, now retired I never pushed it too much so it was mainly used for my daughters 15hh which I think a van type would have been perfect for.
They look neat and easy to drive and having spoken to a few owners now really like the sound of one.