First Novices?

happynoodles

Visit site
Hi,

I'm trying to decide where to go for my first Novice BE, hopefully around the end of June/beginning of July. The events that seem to be near me at this time are Stratford Hills, Milton Keynes, Purston Manor and Eridge. My horse definitely suits the less technical courses (big is fine!) and showjumping isn't a concern, he's not at all spooky and generally jumps better the bigger it gets.

I've searched previous posts about some of these events and it seems that Eridge wouldn't be a good first novice, are there any thoughts on the others? I've been XC schooling at Stratford Hills, which I thought seemed reasonably straightforward but unfortunately didn't get to jump much that day.

Thankyou

Bossanova

Visit site
Purston is a really nice course, other than the ground which can be pretty hard and it's not a nice even grassy track because they graze it so it's ridgy.
Jumping wise it'd be a good first novice though

TableDancer

Visit site
I absolutely love Purston, one of my favourite N events (although I echo Boss's comments about the going). From what you have said I would have thought it would be ideal for your requirements
smile.gif

anj789

Visit site
I did MK as a first novice 2 years ago and it was great - straight routes rode well for my mare. You can go schooling there first too - you won't necessarily try the same fences but there are plenty there up to height & complexity & that always helps confidence (helped me if not horse - she didn't care!).

millitiger

Visit site
Purston xc is nice, the sj tends to be very colourful and up to height but if yours jumps better over bigger fences then sounds perfect!

happynoodles

Visit site
Thankyou - think we will be heading to Purston then! Not really worried about the ground, as horse prefers the firmer going and we won't be going for the time anyway.

deskbound

Visit site
One thing to note on Purston is the length - tends to be on the long side, with a decent long hill. So you'll just want to make sure you're both fit enough!! Lovely course though.

chester1234

www.lkequestrian.com
I did Burnham Mkt as my first
crazy.gif
definately big. Wouldn't say it's a "first timers" but we only came back with 20, which was due to napping between fences not actually saying no. Bit later in the season though. But nice, big bold course with a few rider frighteners [namely their humungous table]

Kentisheventer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thankyou - think we will be heading to Purston then! Not really worried about the ground, as horse prefers the firmer going and we won't be going for the time anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats my second novice
smile.gif
might see you there!