First ODE in a couple of weeks....any tips???

ncarter

Visit site
So, I am being brave and entering my first unaffiliated ODE in a couple of weeks. Has anyone got any tips for the day or for how to prepare over the next 2 weeks? I have never even done a dressage test before so it is a bit of a big step, but it is local so I thought I may as well give it a go!

Any hints massively appreciated!

Squeak

Visit site
What do you usually do with your horse? Have you done xc and sj with him? If its in a couple of weeks I would probably be looking at doing a xc school and then get out to as many combined trainings as possible so that you can gain experience of dressage whilst still working on your sj.

Dusty85

Visit site
Agree with the above.

What is your horses weakest phase?

I would probably make sure you've done as much dressage test prep/practice as you can as this tends to be the bit we all dread/weakest on!

Agree it would be best to try and get out to do a dressage test somewhere if you can- or a hire a local arena out and take a long a friend to watch you/give pointers in a new environment.

Also try to XC school at least once and a couple of SJ sessions.

But I guess the biggest tip is to enjoy yourself!! I think we all put way too much pressure on ourselves sometimes, this is supposed to be a hobby we do because we enjoy it! If it doesn't go to plan don't stress: it's your first one. Think of a point on each phase you can improve on for next time and work towards that.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

ncarter

Visit site
are you going to the cattistock ode at aldon???

Hi, no, I am trying the ODE at Speetley.

Yes, I have done SJ and XC with him, I have had lessons at both recently and I have got a SX planned next weekend as a warm up.

I think it is the dressage, and combining all 3 in 1 day that I will get stressed about nearer the time! Thanks for the tips - we are setting up an 'arena' at our yard with white drain pipes so we can practise the stressage ;)
I don't expect to do well, he is a 14.1 sec D with legs too short for his body (bless him!!) but I am just wanting to get out and do some new things with him :)

TheOrangeOne

Visit site
Practise your weaker element. Just go and enjoy, do each phase individually, try not to think of them as a whole. Smile and have fun...i competed opens on my old mare and we were rubbish at the stressage as she was jumper, we were usually lying kast or near bottom after stressage but always went clear sj and xc and was always in the ribbons! Thats the good thing about ode's...ypu will see some super dressage horses who look the business but they may be careless jumpers, so just go and enjoy! O and let us all know how you got on xxx

LeannePip

Visit site
dont stress it will be fine :) i did my first ODE with my 5yo last week, i hadnt competed much this summer and the last time she went out it was showing and a big clear round! even though i hadnt done as much ridden/show preparation as i would have liked, everything else was as prepared as it could be, i got her fit, did lots of galloping for long periods, had shoes put on with stud holes and off we went! just go to have fun and dont put any pressure on, Go and Have Fun