first proper hack tomorrow - help!

my bfg

Visit site
In all the years my mare and me have been together, due to illness on both sides plus my lack of confidence we've only ever attempted one hack (with a friend on her steady horse) we encountered a very stoney path and had to turn back (she was unshod at the time) have arranged a hack (just walking) tomorrow on a 30mins route - only about 5mins on the road in total, with a horse she gets on very well with, they've also been ridden together in the school with no issues.
Am both looking forward and nervous about it!!
My girl is as solid as a rock with traffic (walked in hand up the lanes we will be riding on to get to the grass track) but am still apprehensive about it.
Any tips on keeping calm plus how did you feel after your first hack??
Chips an egg for those who made it through my essay x

turnbuckle

Visit site
Just chill, accept the nerves and remember you can always hop off and lead if it all gets too much. I reckon you'll love it.

Thanks for the chips, I'll pass on the eggs!

highlandponygirl

Visit site
Relax and enjoy being with your horse. I remember my first ever hack out alone, the mare was bomb proof too. I think I was more nervous than her, I'm sure she was rolling her eyes at me every time we encountered a tractor, hedge trimmers and other scary (or what I thought would be scary :p) objects.

You'll feel fab once you've done it, then after each time you do it your confidence will go up and up :)

kinnygirl1

Visit site
I did my first solo hack on Tuesday. It had been about 2 years since I had gone out alone, pony's illness and injury and subsequent lack of confidence on both our parts had stopped me from trying again , but, after a long journey to regain trust, we did it and he was awesome. Rode back into the yard with a massive smile on my face...you will be doing the same tomorrow! :) have fun.

Tobiano

Visit site
well done! Try not to make it into a really big deal in your head. (Sorry that is easy to say!!). Is it the horse in your avatar? Beautiful! :)

my bfg

Visit site
Thanks all, I'm sure it'll be fine just got to get me brave pants on and get the first one over with lol. Have dug out all my hi-viz - Xmas tree here we come! Shall post an update later :)
Thank you Tobiano yep that's my girl and I agree she is rather beautiful - though I may be slightly biased :)

southerncomfort

Visit site
Have a wonderful ride! I bet you'll both really enjoy it! :)

With my welsh D, before a hack I always say to myself 'If she is in one of her daft moods, I give myself permission to get off and lead', and funnily enough I never feel like I need to. But just giving myself permission to really helps my state of mind. :)

Really looking forward to your update. :)

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Have a wonderful ride! I bet you'll both really enjoy it! :)

With my welsh D, before a hack I always say to myself 'If she is in one of her daft moods, I give myself permission to get off and lead', and funnily enough I never feel like I need to. But just giving myself permission to really helps my state of mind. :)

Really looking forward to your update. :)

That's a really good plan. Gonna steal that. Hope your ride went well OP.

pennyturner

Visit site
I often sing or recite poetry to my horse. It's just a nice thing to do.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied-
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Flicker

Visit site
Pop a neck strap on. Even if you don't need to use it, the psychological effect of knowing you have an 'oh poop!' handle in case of the odd spook will help you relax.

my bfg

Visit site
Well got to say it didn't go quite as planned :(
Literally got 200 yards from the yard and she spun round, tried turning her back and she did a wonderful impression of a girrafe, slipped on the grass verge, nearly went down on her front end, I lost my balance went bum over boob and hit the tarmac, dodgy back first (thank Christ I was wearing a bp)
Ended up walking her back on foot, was going to attempt to ride in the school but she had bit the inside of her lip and had blood coming out, plus I really don't think I could have mounted again was back is killing me.
Lesson booked tomorrow (will be back in a martingale again for the first time in years)
Better luck next time eh :) x

Tobiano

Visit site
oh no! So sorry! try not to get too downhearted. Talk it through with your instructor in your lesson tomorrow. She might be able to give you some exercises to do to manage the situation in future. Good luck and hope you are not too sore tomorrow x x

southerncomfort

Visit site
Sorry it didn't go so well. Perhaps it would be a good idea to walk the route in hand a few times first, it sounds like she was very anxious.

Hope you aren't too sore this evening. x

my bfg

Visit site
Rather sore but mostly surprised as went out with her mate and have ridden that route before, few lessons back in her martingale and we will head out again, though definitely with both bp and hi-viz again! X