first ridden ponies on loan...

Jericho

Visit site
Hope this isnt classed as advertising (if so, admin please let me know / take it down!) but the time is drawing near for me to make a decision about my dear old boy. After a year off work with various lameness issues he has come through the winter badly and is looking like a horse 3 times his age. My farrier has said he is likely to be in even more pain once the ground hardens off during the summer. He is unhappy and he looks very uncomfortable and as a companion to my other horse he is very grumpy and horrible to her so I need to commit myself to a very sad decision which I have probably put off too long, and then I also need to think about what to do after he has gone with respect to my other mare who will need a companion.

Ideally I think I looking for a very steady eddy 13 - 14hh pony on loan who my 6 year old daughter (who can ride a little/has lessons) can have a potter around on, maybe the odd hack, local pony club show, that kind of thing so age, looks immaterial. Temperament is most important thing as the horses are kept at home so biting, kicking, spookiness are real no nos as the children like being in and around the horses a lot as do other members of the family. Must be able to live out (with field shelter) although I can manage for laminitis, must be 110% in traffic and bombproof and also not stress to much about being left for an hour or so whilst I ride my other horse out.

Would maybe suit an older pony who loves all the fuss but not up to the hard work anymore. We have considered rescue ponies but many arent first ridden and are nervous. Am also keeping an eye out on local websites / tack room / field shelters for anything. Have also been told to contact local pony clubs but am not a member so how would I go about that?

Any advice / leads appreciated. Am not in any great hurry...but would just like to get feelers out.

Kat

Visit site
Not necessarily, you could offer a smashing home to an elderly much loved but outgrown pony. If minor unsoundness issues that would restrict the work aren't a problem and this is an experienced home then OP might find something.

Call your local PC secretary as put the word out, also try your local riding schools and show centres.

Our riding school often has ponies that are no longer up to the work that is required in the school needing new homes. They are almost always suitable for children, and have to be relatively easy to handle etc. Might be worth a word, especially if you can manage a laminitic.

beckiebeckyboo

Visit site
I may have what your looking for! hes no plod but our sons learnt on him. sons outgrown him and will not sell him so hes spent the winter out with our youngsters but he deserves his own person! so have been thinking about loaning him, but only to a fab home. pm me if you d like more info

measles

Visit site
I'm sure you will get something like that. Our (~much smaller obviously) section a lead rein pony is a saint but we won't sell him as he's 20yo and he's out on loan so something similar in a bigger version should be possible. However, we did fly the length of the UK to get a replacement proper first ridden section a and are now living on bread and water!

Good luck!