First ride in ages :D

Lacuna

Visit site
Lovely morning today and, as I am without my own neddy, a friend let me have a play with her pony. I haven't ridden much since giving up in pregnancy and she's looking for someone to help exercise her grey little welshy thing who's a bit plumper than he ought to be due to tooo much grass

Left OH on baby duty and wandered over to the yard. Found pony, who turned out to be a bit smaller than expected. He is about 12.2/3 and I felt a bit thewellian on him tbh, as I'm 5'6 and about 10 1/4 st. (Does that sound a bit big on him? He's not particularly finely built...)

Took him in the school to get to know him and he's a typical pony :). Apparently our brakes are a bit rusty and canter is part of the warm-up. Its funny that behaviour that would terrify me in a thoroughbred I can just laugh at in a pony! Once we found some of the brakes we had something that resembled a school session, although we had to also concentrate on avoiding another girl and pony in the arena. We then went for a nice hack with some friends round the village and he was fine even when motorcycles came a bit close for comfort.

I think I could have a bit of fun with him and he seems a nice mannered pony, just a bit more whizzy than I'm used to. He is apparently a cracking jumper when he's fit so I might even get back into leaping. Although does anyone have any hints for helping to find brakes, which apparently are even worse when jumping?

Sorry its a bit long, I can offer white wine & curry for anyone making it this far :)

Opticalillusion

Visit site
That sounds lovely.. I love little fast ponies :)

When I schooled my friend's little welsh, I found that the half-halt was my best friend. I collected her in, and whenever she seemed to get a little quick and giddy, I would slow her back down a gait. I spent lots of time slowing down her trot/canter transition, as she just rushed into it and it wasn't controlled.

Good luck! Your day sounds soooo much better than mine. I was thrown and have broken my ankle :(

Lacuna

Visit site
Thanks for the tip Opticalilllusion.

Just read your other thread. Sounds like a bad day. Hope the ankle heals up soon