First Season expectations

janem_g

Visit site
Hello,

We have a 7 month old terrier bitch at home who belongs to my daughter. My own dog is entire and I had him chemically castrated to avoid any nonsense and lo and behold puppy has come into season and he shows her absolutely no interest at all. We only noticed swollen bits and some blood yesterday so will she become more appealing as time goes on??

I have to say it seems to have worked a treat and Pippa will be spayed soon but in the meantime what to expect in terms of mess and her behaviours. She's off her food and cuddly but should anything occur is there anything that would be cause to worry?

I'd post a picture as he is pretty cute but cannot ever seem to make it work on here!

Parrotperson

Visit site
well she may wander off to find a male if she's anything like the terrier where I used to work. Tart! So make sure she cant and obviously lead exercise only because if you let her off and she finds herself a nice boyfriend........

SAujla

Visit site
Very early and very late walks. I found the first season for my dog wasn't hard to manage at all (after I got over my initial panic it was finally happening) but I've been told her future seasons will be harder as she's more mature and will be more aware of everything. If you are spaying after this season I think it's best to do sensible walks and cleaning up blood as you need too

Antw23uk

Visit site
Bella bled terribly for her first season, it was unbelievable! Remember you have three weeks and the final week is the really dangerous time when she'll even start thinking about taking herself off to find a boy, let alone them finding her!

Early and late walks, there is nothing more annoying than being pestered by an entire dog out walking, other than the owners of entire male dogs having to walk where bitches in season have been and potentially losing their dogs when they take off!

satinbaze

Visit site
Don't be fooled if she stops bleeding around day 10-11 and discharge becomes clear, this means she is ready for mating. Most bitches are ready for mating around day 13 but not always. Ive had a couple of bitches that bled for a whole 3 weeks. Just remember if an "accident" does happen you can take her to the vet for an injection to prevent pregnancy. I highly recommend a small book call "The book of the bitch" by Evans and Kay

Moobli

Visit site
My dog also had the suprelorin implant so my bitch could mature before being spayed. It worked brilliantly and he never showed her any interest for the two seasons it covered. I will be having him implanted again for another 12 months to allow her to fully mature before spaying or I might consider a litter.
My bitch did get a bit shirty with the only other bitch we have here on the farm while she was in season. They were friends before and afterwards, so I put that down to hormones. She also went off her food a bit but other than that was just as normal.

janem_g

Visit site
Just to update and it’s not so easy now. She has become a floozy and is tempting him a lot and he’s tried to have a go so separated now!! I’m hoping he’s incapable but would get straight to the vets if the worst happened. Hopefully not too long to go.