First set of spurs

Visit site
So I’ve been advised by my instructor to wear spurs when flatting my horse as she’s very lazy when we don’t jump, I've been advised to get rubber ones because I’m too scared to use anything else 🤣. If anyone could suggest any websites/brands/specific first time spurs I would be very appreciative!! Preferably shipping within the UK but if they are worth it i will consider international. (And cheap because I’m broke 😉)

teapot

Visit site
If you're scared to use them, you shouldn't be using them imho. Spurs are there to be used to refine your leg aid, not sharpen a horse up. That comes from schooling, schooling, and more schooling. How is she lazy? Slow to react to your leg aid? Needs to be more forward? Identify the problem and work through it, spurs are not the answer.

Not sure how effective rubber ones would be anyway, surely they'd just bend? Did you mean plastic ones?

Visit site
If you're scared to use them, you shouldn't be using them imho. Spurs are there to be used to refine your leg aid, not sharpen a horse up. That comes from schooling, schooling, and more schooling. How is she lazy? Slow to react to your leg aid? Needs to be more forward? Identify the problem and work through it, spurs are not the answer.

Not sure how effective rubber ones would be anyway, surely they'd just bend? Did you mean plastic ones?
Plastic ones I guess.. when i meant scared to use them i meant i didn’t want to use the big metal ones 😂 my instructor told me she needs to feel the pressure from my leg aid because she won’t react to anything else, it’s just trial and error and i trust my trainers judgement x

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I’ e done this on advice of my instructor. Premier equine do the plastic roller ball ones but they are very easy to find anywhere with a google search.

Edited to add - old mill saddlery have them for less than £10. You will have to buy straps as well but very easy to get cheaply.

little_critter

Visit site
I’ e done this on advice of my instructor. Premier equine do the plastic roller ball ones but they are very easy to find anywhere with a google search.

Edited to add - old mill saddlery have them for less than £10. You will have to buy straps as well but very easy to get cheaply.

I’d be cautious with the plastic ball spurs. I bought a pair as my first pair for the same reason; I wanted something gentle.
I can’t remember how long I’d been using them, probably not that long when one day I dismounted and realised one of the plastic balls had snapped off and I’d been using the square shank against my pony.
If you want roller ball ones I’d go for the metal balls, but I assume they cost more.

Shay

Visit site
If you want something suitable as a "first spur" (although I shudder somewhat at the thought of that) try a comb spur like this https://www.shiresequestrian.com/comb-spurs-16583

To use a spur with a shank, wither that is a ball type or a soft type, you need the lower leg refinement to deliberately decide to put the spur on or not. With a comb spur it just adds a bit of edge to the existing leg aid. You can't mark the skin - even if you do a massive pony club kick (although don't!).