First step towards para dressage

dreamcometrue

Visit site
For those of you who joined the debate about a disabled riders forum. I thought some who pmd me might like to know of my daughter's journey towards para dressage.

So today we went to a local RDA for her to be assessed to see which category of disability she would be placed in when competing. She has a to wait a few weeks for the results of the assessment.

We never even saw a horse though, and there was me armed with my camera to get the first shot of her on a horse for the very first time (post accident) to go with the one of her on a horse for the very first time (pre accident) - see below. :)

PB280023.jpg

So that one will have to wait.

She is looking to get a lesson with an expert so that she can see how she feels on board again.

She has also become a little bit smitten by a horse that a friend of hers has for sale and we are going to see it in a couple of weeks time.

pippixox

Visit site
yay :D

still think it is a shame there is not specific section. if you include all posts linked to any type of disability, from autism to arthritis, there is are a lot of posts and interest.

but still the general forum is here and it is brilliant to hear how people over come disabilities for the love of horses and riding :D

thanks for sharing

dreamcometrue

Visit site
The technichal term is trauma amputation of the left lower leg and a broken pelvis. It happened 18 months ago when she was hit by a motorbike at high speed as she was out running. It basically took her leg off.

She has ridden all her life and is now 30 years old. She has never faltered in her positivity since the accident. :)

blitznbobs

Visit site
Good luck... what discipline is she keen on. My old horse was a para dressage horse (ridden by someone else - I'm able bodied) - unfortunately went lame prior to beijing or he'd 've been there... Good luck with the future

Blitz

dreamcometrue

Visit site
Blitz she used to showjump, just at local RC shows. She was supposed to be the one to compete on my new sec D that I bought shortly before the accident.

However, she is now keen to keep herself safe and because her pelvis is held together by plates she has decided that she won't be jumping for a while and is going to focus on dressage.

Clare85

Visit site
That's wonderful, I wish your daughter all the very best with her endeavours. I think it is wonderful how horses can help people overcome the most awful adversity. They have certainly helped me through some tough times - although nothing near what your daughter has been through. Looking forward to seeing more updates :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I hope that she is riding soon.

Might a session or two on a good riding simulator be an idea to ease her back in the saddle? I've had some lessons on one and they were very helpful and surprisingly realistic (I'm able bodied).

ruth83

Visit site
Congrats on that first step! Could you tell me where you went and how long it took to arrange? I have a client who is looking to get into para dressage and we are alsoin Yorkshire. PM if you prefer

noggin667

Visit site
Really hope everything goes really well for your daughter and that she achieves all she wants to. I'm sure she'll get bitten by the para dressage bug, I know I did and I'm just a coach. I'm lucky enough to work for a RDA group down South, with a horse whom I've lent to the RDA for 11 years and he's taking a para rider out for the first time in ages to the Winter Championships in April.

I'll watch with interest to see her progress, I sincerely hope she can get back on a horse soon :D so exciting!!!!

dollyanna

Visit site
Good luck to her, it would be lovely to follow her progress on the forum. Bear in mind that if she feels uncomfortable riding astride she could try sidesaddle - several amputees ride sidesaddle because it "fits" better, and there are a lot of mens sidesaddles around as after the war it allowed them to keep hunting etc even with lost limbs :)

Auslander

Visit site
Good luck... what discipline is she keen on. My old horse was a para dressage horse (ridden by someone else - I'm able bodied) - unfortunately went lame prior to beijing or he'd 've been there... Good luck with the future

Blitz

Spooky - exactly the same situ with my horse! He went through the selection process, but failed the vet! I'm glad he did, because apparently, all the squad horses stayed in Hong Kong afterwards

Aspire

Visit site
Really do recommend a session on a mechanical horse. Our minds often write cheques our bodies cannot cash! I remember being all fired up and enthused at the prospect of getting back on after my last surgery. I lasted 15 minutes on the mechanical horse at my RDA centre (Kesteven). I was exhausted, and gutted. Went twice a week for a few weeks until I could manage half an hour, then got back on one of their horses whom I rode again for a few weeks in preparation for getting back on my own.
The assessment your daughter will have had is the RDA classification which can be used in the Para classes but is not the same as a Para assessment which is done by two physios one of whom is usually foreign since your IPEC card is international and is usually done somewhere like Hartpury or at a major para competition. The Para trail is tough, extremely competitive and expensive due to the travelling involved in competing and the standard and cost of horseflesh required. The RDA Nationals are held in July and are extreme fun and an experience not to be missed. Check when your qualifying round is, certainly our regions is in April and is one of the last. However, armed with her RDA classification card your daughter can apply for whatever dispensation she requires to compete able bodied. This route is open and available to all and means she can gain regular competitive experience of the sport at any venue holding BD affiliated competitions.
Good luck to your daughter on her dressage journey whichever route she elects to follow.

Tobiano

Visit site
DCT you must be so proud of your brave, determined daughter. I hope she is able to follow her dream and it will be lovely to see updates of her on here. Good luck to you both x x