First swallow arrives

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Mucking out this am finished one stable, walked up to next with tools, walked inside and place tools against the wall, proceeded to walk back to doorway and whooooooosssshh .something flew past and out. I stepped out and looked out and saw a little black bird with split tail. I thought I am seeing things they don't arrive till week on 16th but this is the first. What a day to arrive on.!!!!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Oh wow that's pretty early and the weather has been so wild!

We had swallows nesting in our field shelter last year but they must have been first time parents as the nest had a hole in it and the babies kept falling out. I'm thinking about hanging some old riding hats from the rafters this year in the hope they will use them instead as their DIY skills aren't too good.

Hanson

Visit site
Been watching out for mine. Last year they had two clutches and each time they hatched we had a stormy wet couple of days...so perhaps they might arrive this week!

Love watching them.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Swallows arrived at our yard this weekend. I was standing with our horses & just heard the chattering from inside the stables. I know they make a mess of the horses rugs but it's great to have them back!! :)

MochaDun

Visit site
Ours are usually 15th-17th April arriving so that seems early. I wonder if our milder winter has made a difference to arrival times in this country/up through Europe? - not sure if winter will have been different on their journey north also so they may have left Africa early - migration is fascinating stuff :)

MochaDun

Visit site
The swallows haven't come back, just wondering if the weather has something to do with it - we are still having ground frosts but normally back 15th-17th April and apart from one twitter and fly past a few weeks ago no others have come scouting for nests :( Does anyone know if they could still arrive or will they have found a part of the country which has been milder/drier and be breeding there - won't seem like summer without swallows at the yard :( Have seen some near home which is about a mile away near some stables there.

paddy555

Visit site
The swallows haven't come back, just wondering if the weather has something to do with it - we are still having ground frosts but normally back 15th-17th April and apart from one twitter and fly past a few weeks ago no others have come scouting for nests :( Does anyone know if they could still arrive or will they have found a part of the country which has been milder/drier and be breeding there - won't seem like summer without swallows at the yard :( Have seen some near home which is about a mile away near some stables there.

don't panic. We had 2 arrive a fortnight ago. We were missing about 7 pairs. Then the night before last another 3 arrived. The same night some also arrived at my neighbours. So we are still missing some but with the late arrivals I am more hopeful. (Devon)

Magicmadge

Visit site
I had three pairs last year this year only 3 birds. One was here for a week on its own then two more arrived two days ago. I'm still hoping there are more to come. We are in Lincolnshire.

Jericho

Visit site
I was starting to wonder where my two pairs were as they usually are here about 2/3 weeks earlier but was so pleased to hear and see their arrival today even though they are messy buugers!!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I saw a one a couple of weeks ago then nothing. However today there were a few around and they were checking out the stables some of which have nests that get used every year.

Doris68

Visit site
We've just moved house, but kept a record at our previous home and in 2013 first swallow arrived on 21/4 and then in 2014, 15/4 and last year 13/4. We've seen swallows around here last week but have no idea when they appeared at our previous place. We miss them nesting in our stables :-(

jojo5

Visit site
Ours arrived this week - straight back to the old nest on the beam precisely above the horse as he eats his hay net!!

paddy555

Visit site
we had another pair arrive yesterday so now only 4 pairs missing. Depressing but we have at least 6 swallows. This time last week we only had 2.

Please be careful with mane and tail hair. A couple of years ago I found a baby hanging in tail hair out of the nest. Caught it in time and rescued it. I thought nothing more about it, freak occurrence. Earlier this week I walked past the house window and saw a young sparrow hanging by tail hair. It was like catgut and had wrapped around 2 legs, it's wing and it's neck several times. Unravelled it and it was OK.
Later I saw a post on FB where several others were commenting on exactly the same thing except some swallows had not been so lucky. Checked the bottom of my swallows next and sure enough half of my horse's mane and tail hair hanging down all ready for a swallow to get tied up in.

Magicmadge

Visit site
The rest of my swallows arrived today so I have the three pairs back. Even had one visit me in the house!!!! They are noisy though but very welcome.😄

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Ours arrived this morning, they flew around me chittering as I was mucking out. I'm so glad to see them, they seem very late this year.