First time at Blenheim (spectator!) - what to do and see??!!??

Hels_Bells

Visit site
We won "lake view" tickets to Blenheim HT on XC day :cool::cool: via BE Lorry Park and I am already not sleeping as I'm quite excited about it (despite having been an eventing fan since I was a nipper I've never actually attended a proper 3/4* event! :eek:) so hoping to make the most of our day there in every way we can!:D

Just wondering what the best plan of action is? What are the best stalls and stands to visit and the best jumps to watch etc etc.. Is it worth bringing a picnic or better to get food when you get there?:confused:

Apparenly gates open at 6ish and the XC starts at 10.30 does anyone know if that means you can walk the course from 6-10ish? What is the best time to arrive? I'm guessing you can't go near the fences like in a regular BE event once the action is underway!?:confused:

And of course who from HHO is attending on XC day that I might bump into while we're there? And also are any HHOers riding so I can look out for you and cheer you on!?:D:D

Lynz25

Visit site
WE tend to get there about 7:30- 8am. Have a bacon sarnie and then start looking around the shops as they open to avoid some of the crowds. When the xc starts depending where we are in teh shopping head out onto the xc course and watch a couple of horses at each jump. We normally pass the car at some point and have a picnic near one of the jumps then continue watching xc after lunch. Once xc finished we carry on shopping as it allows some of the traffic to go.

star

Visit site
am probably going to go on XC day this yr as only ever been on dressage day before. i suspect you wont be allowed anywhere near the course at all on Saturday as it will all be roped off, similar to Badminton/Burghley. I normally start with shopping then head out onto the XC once riders start going round, watching a few at each fence before going back to the shopping. always take a picnic as find food so expensive at events!

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Oooh great - thanks so much for the tips both!! So I guess there's little point busting a gut to get there before the XC starts if there's unlikely to be any course walking?!! ;)

Addicted to Hunting

Visit site
Normally you can like walk beside the course but not the actual fences etc, as they like to save the ground, when we normally go to badminton we normally walk the course and then walk it backwards to watch riders at each fence, we normally very early to avoid the traffic, wasn't quite as early this year as been at p2p then a party day and night before! Normally once the last horse has gone cross country you are allowed on the course to see the fences, (fences roped of normally before it starts)

Weezy

Visit site
At Blenheim you are close to the fences anyway. The shopping is Ok but limited, nothing like the big B events that have huge amounts of shopping. There are great side shows, don't know if the Puissance is happening this year but it was hilarious last year and well worth a a look. Food is the usual, expensive, so bring your own picnic and then hit the food tents for glorious freebies!

star

Visit site
i think they call it the high jump or something similar but it's on XC day so looking forwards to seeing that! agree, shopping is about a quarter of somewhere like Badminton/Burghley but still good for a nosy.