First time dog owner advice!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Hello!

I have just put my name down on a waiting list for a puppy! Does anyone have any advice for a first time dog owner? Are there any good books I could read for training tips and advice?

Thanks!

TGM

Visit site
Just be warned that puppies are usually very hard work indeed in the first few months - need almost constant supervision if they are not to wee and poo everywhere or chew up your furniture, sunglasses, shoes, remote controls etc! Plus most of them go through a terrible play biting stage which can be quite alarming if you've not had a pup before.

I would strongly recommend reading the following two books which are now available free online - they were my bible with my first pup and I followed a similar strategy with my second one:

https://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE You Get Your Puppy.pdf

https://www.dogstardaily.com/files/downloads/AFTER_You_Get_Your_Puppy.pdf

I think they are far more representative of the reality of puppy rearing than many others I have read which seem to gloss over the more problematic bits!

Just wanted to add, I have had dogs around me all my life, but I was really unprepared for how much hard work a puppy was, in comparison to an adult dog!

Last edited:

TGM

Visit site

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have had dogs all of my life and last year got a puppy....i had forgotten how much hard work it was, so be prepared to feel like you will never survive and have a housetrained, friendly, well behaved dog at the end, luckily i survived but it is hard work.....what breed are you getting?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Beware of puppy blues: they’re bloody hard work at times.

This is so true. Despite having had dogs before it was still a shock to the system when I got my 8 month old rescue dog a few months ago. I’d forgotten how full on they were. I seriously thought I’d made a huge mistake and definitely shed a few tears. But it was all worth it and now I’m enjoying it.

Crate training has been a godsend he’s in it at night and only complained the second night he was in it. He exhausted me so much at first I used to put him in it for an hour and turn the radio on so I could go and lie down for a bit 😂

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Wow thanks everyone. I will have a read of those books and on mumsnet!

I’ve asked to be put on a waiting list for sometime around the end of the year, my OH is currently based overseas and didn’t want to miss the puppy stage, although if I show him this he may change his mind 😂. This is a big decision I don’t want to rush in to and the breeder knows I’m willing to wait until the right time.

We are getting a corgi! I have always loved them. I have read a lot about them and know they can be nippy so I am prepared to work hard on training. I still live at home so Mum will be on hand to help and she’s had puppies before.

I imagine I probably will get puppy blues, I certainly got the horse equivalent! My mare has been a struggle at times but the feeling when something finally clicks and comes right is always worth it!

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I would strongly recommend reading the following two books which are now available free online - they were my bible with my first pup and I followed a similar strategy with my second one:

https://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE You Get Your Puppy.pdf

https://www.dogstardaily.com/files/downloads/AFTER_You_Get_Your_Puppy.pdf

I think they are far more representative of the reality of puppy rearing than many others I have read which seem to gloss over the more problematic bits!

Just wanted to add, I have had dogs around me all my life, but I was really unprepared for how much hard work a puppy was, in comparison to an adult dog!

I second these! The crate training and toilet training advice is fantastic, and worked really really well for me.

Crate training early on saves so much hassle later, and especially teaching that sometimes they just need to chill and just "be".