First time horsebox shopping advice, please

Puppy

Visit site
After 15+ years of horse ownership it looks like we're going to finally make a dream come true and buy some wheels. :)

I've seen something that fits our requirements quite well and I'm hoping we will be able to go and view it, but I have NO idea what sort of questions I ought to be asking and things I ought to be looking at/for.

I know what I'm supposed to ask/look out for when viewing something with 4 legs, but not so clued up on 4 tyres and feel a bit nervous about the prospect, tbh :confused:

Please, could any of you spare a bit of advice?

Also, aside from looking at endless adverts, how do I get an accurate idea of somethings value? :confused:

Off to give the horses their tea early so that I can watch the Tsonga match ;) Will be back to reply in an hour or so :)

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Preferably one with full year's test on it - doesn't guarantee it's safe but does mean you don't have the faff.

Is it generally well kept - I don't mean a quick tart up spray job but is it tidy, are all the lights working, tyres in good nick.

Has it got a paperwork trail? I like to see plenty of MoTs, bills for parts and more especially bills for servicing. If no paperwork trail and it is claimed to be low mileage does it look low mileage - worn or spread seats, sensible wear on pedals for mileage.

When was the cambelt last changed? I got caught out with this and it was dangerous and expensive and my own blasted fault for not checking. Check up on the internet the frequency of change for that engine both by time and mileage and make sure that there are bills to confirm that it has been done. If not consider the price of having the work done. Having it go in the middle of rushhour on a dark stormy winter's night on a filter road waiting to turn right in a 60 zone with two ponies on board is NOT to be recommended!

Does the owner have a fit if you try to lift the rubber mats in the horse area? I got into a huge row with a seller once because I wanted to see under the mats:(

Has it got a recent weighbridge certificate? If not, will they get one? If it has is there plenty of payload - now he's getting HUGE he'll weigh more:D

Does it appear safe inside - no sharp edges or protrusions in dodgy places, If you shove into the breastbar does it give at all - not the padding, the actual structure.

Do all the doors and ramps shut correctly? Is the ramp wobbly or firm to stand on? If it's an old style with a big ramp is it bowed in the middle.

Are there any "soft" patches in the ramp?

Is the height as advertised? If no height advertised, is it sufficient?

Do all the locks work?

As for design there are different schools of thought and it's down to personal preference/belief!

At the end of all that I still go by gut feel or sixth sense. If it feels like a wrong un I won't buy and I've rarely been disappointed with a vehicle I've had a good feeling about - I have bought and sold a few cars in my younger days:D Mainly I dealt in motorcycles though.

Puppy

Visit site
Ha! I should have known you'd have a good answer for this ;)

The advert is pretty comprehensive. It sounds like it's been maintained very well as they have all the receipts to prove it. Hoping to arrange to go for a look. Eak! :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My hubby is a mechanic, and when we were thinking of getting one he insisted it had to have a tilt cab, which makes work on it easier (and perhaps cheaper if you're paying for labour?)