First time - Leicestershire based

Turtlebay69

Visit site
A friend and I would love to try hunting, but have no idea where to start?

- How do you go about this, do you book?
- What do you wear?
- We won't want to jump maybe first time, or would like to pop some smaller things, is this possible?

We are very nervous about starting, but we have always wanted to have a go?!

paulineh

Visit site
If the hunt you are intending to go to has a web site on there is normally a piece about what to wear etc. They have a lot of useful information too.
Will the pack be fox hounds or a drag hunt.

It is a fair few years since I hunted but we were expected to have a well turned out horse. Clean tack (Leather) I use to plait my pony although now I am going to be hunting my Arab so may not plait. I would not have boots on my horse, unless it is really necessary as mud and grit can get down the inside and make the legs sore.

For yourself if it is the first time you have hunted I would wear a clean neat hacking jacket with a shirt and tie. A riding hat or scull cap with a black cover. Cream jodhpurs and Black Long boots, spurs are optional, Black or Brown gloves. If your horse is a novice or maybe for the first time I would put a green ribbon and maybe a red one in his tail. This will make sure people do not rush up behind you.

L&M

Visit site
There is a section in the 'stickies' on advise for newbies that covers dress code etc.

If you go on the MFHA website it lists all packs and will provide contact details of the Sec who can suggest a suitable day, especially if you are not keen on jumping.

A word of advice though - most hunts are now at 'full throttle', on hunting fit horses, so if you are at all nervous I would wait until next season and maybe start with a quieter day out autumn hunting.

Hope that helps!