First Time Out With EABH - Wow what fun!

Tillypup

www.valleypoint.co.uk
I took my horse (5yr old TB) out with the East Anglian Bloodhounds for the first time this Sunday.

Wow, what a great day, what lovely, friendly people and what fun we had!

When I bought him in July I was told that he'd been out drag hunting before so thought he would know vaguely what to expect!;) well, he was a total superstar from start to finish, apart from jumping up and down the ramp of my friend's wagon (my truck having failed its MOT the day before, boo hoo!) We stayed near the back of the front group (if you know what I mean) and he chugged along beautifully, not pulling, stopping when needed. After the third run I thought he was getting a bit tired but as soon as the hounds picked up the scent again he was ready to go!!

I will admit I had a few tears of joy when I got home that night, just love my horse and his attitude to everything we do!!! I can't wait to get out again, after this outing where I knew there would be minimal jumping (just puddles as my boy likes to stay clean) hopefully we'll have the opportunity to ping a few rails or hedges yikes!!!

Visit site
Well done you for getting out there and doing it! I followed in the car on sunday at Belchamps it all looked tremendous fun! I just need to convince a friend to take me along for the first time now! I believe the eabh in on tv tonight at 8pm, I'll be watching!

Tillypup

www.valleypoint.co.uk
Thanks all! It really was great fun! I know the landowner very well and everything I've ever been told about how friendly the Bloodhound people were was very true so I'm glad I took the plunge even though I was on my own! My horse has had a right spring in his step since Sunday so I think he enjoyed himself!!

I did feel a slight berk when I put my hat on though, a few days before I had loads and loads of my hair cut off, thought on Sunday morning I wouldn't need a hairnet, as soon as I put the hat on I realised my mistake!! I have very curl hair so when it is squished it is twice as long! I spent the day looking like something out of a Thewell cartoon (I'm 36!!!!)

Sportyspots

Visit site
Glad you enjoyed yourself. I'm often out with the EABHs so say hi if you see me. So far I'm the only spotty horse I've seen out so I'm easy to spot!! Defiently doing the Semer meet as hoping lots of jumping, and the Boxing Day meet but often working Sundays so not out as much as I'd like. The meet you did clashed with the team chase so wasn't at that one. It's my first proper season with them and agree that they've all been very friendly. Hopefully see you at a meet.

unbalanced

Visit site
Haha you will have been chasing my other half, who is the fox for them and was also out on Sunday. I am thinking about going out too but it is quite far north for me and my pony is 23 - not sure if 23 is too old for first time hunting, especially as the first meet we would have any chance of getting to would be boxing day.

Visit site
My first go out too yesterday on hound exercise with the EABH on my new mare and we loved it.

The loading, mounting and first 5 minutes were the worst bit of the day. Thank you spotty horse for coming over and offering a friendly face when I needed one! After I was on board I had a brilliant time, couldn't fault my girl at all! Crossed a river twice and the worlds most scary wooden bridge which made quite an impressive clattering sound with a full field of horses crossing it!

I will definitely be back I'm sure it's addictive!

Sportyspots

Visit site
Tillypup hopefully see you Boxing Day, I've been talked out of going with the Cambridgeshire by all these horror stories and the amount of hunts who've been over Semer since the team chase, scared I'm going to break my horse before next BE season! Blood hounds sound a lot more sedate than the drag hounds!
Product of my youth, great to meet you! Impressed with how all the first time out horses behaved yesterday and those who'd only had their horses a few weeks discovering how good they all were.