First time owner-first aid kit!

truffles

Visit site
When you first started out, what was in your first aid kit?
I know the basic stuff, such as gamgee, equiwrap, thermometer, dressing, scissors, cold pack, adhesive bandage...anything else that I'm missing? (there is probably lots, sorry
blush.gif
)

Also, (sorry to be a bore) did you buy all the products separately or all together in one big first aid kit? I'm tempted to go for the 2nd choice, as, knowing me I will forget half the stuff in it!

What do you think?
smile.gif
Thanks

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Dont go for the first aid kits, you can do it cheaper buying seperately. These are the basics -
cotton wool
hibiscrub
animalintex
melolin
soffban
vetrap
vaseline
sudocrem
intrasite

optionals -
jelonet dressings
inadine dressings
purple spray
wound powder
equine antiseptic cream (I use dermoline on the basis its squeezy tube = no germs, but they are basically all the same)

Tiaribbon recommended MTG oil to a lot of us on here, ive found this to be an essential you can use on most things - wouldnt be without it (needs to come from America).

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Tia would describe it better, but she not on here much at the mo. The main ingredient is sulphur. www.shapleys.com .
I use it on pretty much everything - dont really bother with creams any more. It is pretty potent but ive only ever found it to blister one horse - and hes allergic to everything so was pretty much expected.

hussar

Visit site
To vicijp's list I would add a pair of scissors (essential) and a digital thermometer (optional). There's also a spray you can buy that forms a 'second skin' over minor bleeding wounds, keeps them clean and stops the bleeding - can't remember the name but it's readily available.

truffles

Visit site
*scribbles it all down* Excellente! The more products, the better. Give me a shout if you remember the name.
smile.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
I'm going up to my horses now, so will make a list of what is in my first aid kit, as I can't remember. Mine is a human and horse one, so I don't have to have two at the yard.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Vet, Farrier and emergancy numbers.
Pen and paper- to record temp, pulse and rep. if a horse colic's or is ill.
Salt (in a camera film case) and bottled water- to make up a saline solution (I no the water is clean)
Animalintex, both hoof and normal- my mare has feet problems so the hoof shape comes in handy.
Thermometer
Melolin- not sure if they still make them, handy for both horse and human
Vetwrap
Microporous tape- surgical tape for sticking dressings etc on (horse and human)
tweezers- I get lots of ticks
Vinyl gloves
Dressing pads- 3 different sizes
Antispetic wipes
Antiseptic cream
Sterile container- for mixing salt and water in
Cotton wool
Self Ashesive pads/dressings
Scissors
Waste bags
Plastic skin- spray on dressing, forms new skin
Plasters- human kit
Saftey pins
Eye patches- human kit
Sling- human kit
Stretch bandage
Vaseline- mainly for thermometer
Sudacream
Cold pack
Suringe
Baby oil

Sounds alot and most is optional, but if I need anything its there to hand.