First Time Travelling !!

Moody-Mare

Visit site
Considering starting to take my youngster out in the box! HELP!
He loads and unloads fine, stand in it and munches. but we havent actually started the box and moved:/

I have a 3.5t, forward facing lorry ( Morrice! A trailer with an engine!) Should i travel him alone? or with company? tied up? or Loose?

Any advice welcome!

Cheers :D!

gracenarchie

Visit site
personally, for a youngster travelling for first time i would not tie up at all, just make sure the trailer/box is comfy, maybe put some familiar bedding down for first time, a bit of tasty hay in the corners and close everything up, just let him/her settle, you'll probably find he/she settles well with the movement of the box once you;re on the mo

I recently collected my new 2 yr old from newmarket area and was chewed to bits about him travelling in just a trailer for 4 hours alone!!!! turned out I was worried sick for 4 hours, while he stuffed his face, chilled out and never moved a muscle!! we didnt even know he was there, even though he went in then chose to do the whole trip backwards!!!! :)

I'm sure it will go a lot more smoothly than you anticipate, plus sounds like you have already ensured that he/she is happy and relaxed to be in the box and done the groundwork to lead up to the first trip - best of luck,

Moody-Mare

Visit site
aaah see my box- the partition doesnt move:confused: but I travel my 15.3hh mare in it and she fits fine.
Im totally stressing LOL! Should i maybe have the lorry running a few times when loading him?? Would that make it more pleasent for him?

Im probably worrying over nothing LOL!

Polotash

Visit site
If he was mine I'd tie up, put partition in (I think they help them balance, although some prefer without) and travel alone.. with lots of haylage!

ironhorse

Visit site
Yep, tied up, partition in, use bedding unless the lorry has very good mats.
I would only travel very young ones loose.

Unless he's used to boots I'd avoid them - our 4yo is still a relatively novice traveller and I actually transport him in sports medicine boots rather than full length boots.
You are definitely worrying about nothing although it's understandable :D Our boy had never been on trailer when we brought him home as a 2yo and it was a 1.5 hour journey - he arrived at our yard as cool as a cucumber :)

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
I agree with above. travel tied up, partition in, no travel boots (you could put some brushing boots on in front if you wanted but not behind if not used to it as they will just kick out)

ecrozier

Visit site
Ours had never travelled when we bought him at 2 and that was a 3 hour journey home. I was seriously stressed but he travelled absolutely fine, that time we used a trailer with partition out and single breast bar, lots of hay and closed the back ramp doors as was motorway all the way. Bateson trailer so plenty of light/windows.
Then we taught him to load in lorry over that summer, really slowly, lots of feeding in lorry, gradually progressed to closing partitions, closing ramp, starting engine, moving just down drive then unloading and finally went roUnd the block a couple of times. Probably over kill but he is almost 6 now and has travelled perfectly, in any trailer or lorry, ever since. I travelled him with my older horse the first dozen or so times, but am lucky in that older horse is an absolute saint to travel and at shows so was a great nanny!