First time viewing

crazyconnie

Visit site
I’m going to a viewing for the first time tomorrow and wanted some advice. How do I know if they’re the one? Questions to ask? Any help much appreciated x

Dusty 123

Visit site
Think with your head not your heart. Does the horses fit for what you want to do. That’s the question I would be asking myself. To be honest I will admit I bought horse I probably shouldn’t have the horse was extremely lazy and didn’t like being ridden I fell in love with her. I wish you the best of luck

Theocat

Visit site
Are you taking someone with you?

Have a really good look at it for lumps, bumps, or anything that looks odd. Ask to see it trotted up. Do not get on unless you have seen it ridden by someone else first first. Do not get on if you have any doubts at all after having seen it ridden. Ask about medical history, whether it hacks alone/company, what it's like travelling and out and about, quirks, diet, what it's like to handle, what the owner has done with it. If you do get on board, don't be afraid of feeling as though you have forgotten how to ride (normal), and just ride quietly and try to get a feel for the horse - don't immediately start trying to impose anything on them. Take your time. If you feel unhappy or frightened at any time, stop and get off. If you aren't interested, do not be pressured -"he's really lovely but not quite right for me" is fine. If you aren't sure, walk away and think about it. If you ARE sure, go back a second time and take your instructor if they aren't coming tomorrow.

Visit site
I don't know how experienced you are. Unless you are buying a project, then only buy the horse if it is already doing the job you want it to do. I would agree pretend to yourself that you are viewing for a friend (and you can be a bit more objective then) and make the decision with your head not your heart. Very best of luck.

Equi

Visit site
Im afraid it all depends on your experience. In hindsight from viewings, i would have went in and haltered, lead out, tied up then backed off to see how they actually stand tied up, lifted all feet and touched literally every inch of horse, seen it trotted up, tacked up myself, checked tack fit (knowing that for sale horses don't always have fitting tack) watch it ridden then ride myself. I would want to see it load and unload on a box if available. the finally groom and put away again with a feed (so you can see how it reacts to food and manners etc)

You sort of have to be a detective and ask the same question various times in a different way.

crazyconnie

Visit site
Think with your head not your heart. Does the horses fit for what you want to do. That’s the question I would be asking myself. To be honest I will admit I bought horse I probably shouldn’t have the horse was extremely lazy and didn’t like being ridden I fell in love with her. I wish you the best of luck
Thank you, I’m a bit nervous but hoping all goes well x

crazyconnie

Visit site
Are you taking someone with you?

Have a really good look at it for lumps, bumps, or anything that looks odd. Ask to see it trotted up. Do not get on unless you have seen it ridden by someone else first first. Do not get on if you have any doubts at all after having seen it ridden. Ask about medical history, whether it hacks alone/company, what it's like travelling and out and about, quirks, diet, what it's like to handle, what the owner has done with it. If you do get on board, don't be afraid of feeling as though you have forgotten how to ride (normal), and just ride quietly and try to get a feel for the horse - don't immediately start trying to impose anything on them. Take your time. If you feel unhappy or frightened at any time, stop and get off. If you aren't interested, do not be pressured -"he's really lovely but not quite right for me" is fine. If you aren't sure, walk away and think about it. If you ARE sure, go back a second time and take your instructor if they aren't coming tomorrow.
I haven’t ridden in almost 2 months due to lockdown so will probably be riding my worst! Thank you x

crazyconnie

Visit site
I don't know how experienced you are. Unless you are buying a project, then only buy the horse if it is already doing the job you want it to do. I would agree pretend to yourself that you are viewing for a friend (and you can be a bit more objective then) and make the decision with your head not your heart. Very best of luck.
Thank you! X

crazyconnie

Visit site
Im afraid it all depends on your experience. In hindsight from viewings, i would have went in and haltered, lead out, tied up then backed off to see how they actually stand tied up, lifted all feet and touched literally every inch of horse, seen it trotted up, tacked up myself, checked tack fit (knowing that for sale horses don't always have fitting tack) watch it ridden then ride myself. I would want to see it load and unload on a box if available. the finally groom and put away again with a feed (so you can see how it reacts to food and manners etc)

You sort of have to be a detective and ask the same question various times in a different way.
As the yard where the horse is based is still in lockdown we are going on a farm ride. She is bringing a lovely safe horse that I can ride while watching the horse being ridden and then we will swap when/if I want to try it. So will be able to see how he loads, how he is in open spaces etc. Thank you! X

DreamTime22

Visit site
As I imagine you can't probably take people with you in the current climate - take pictures and videos and show them to some experienced people after the viewing. Really you need another person with you but it just can't really happen at the moment.

crazyconnie

Visit site
As I imagine you can't probably take people with you in the current climate - take pictures and videos and show them to some experienced people after the viewing. Really you need another person with you but it just can't really happen at the moment.
Yeah, it’s a difficult time at the moment. Thank you though! X

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
A B C

A: Accept nothing!
B: Believe nothing!
C: Check everything!

oh and I'd add a "D": DON'T get on it without seeing it ridden first, whatever the excuse given! Just don't.

Always take a friend if you can (or meet them there even, that's do-able right now!): two pairs of eyes better than one and they'll pick up things you might miss.

I always aim to arrive for a viewing 15 to 20 mins early; that way, if its being lunged to get the fizz off it then you're more likely to see!

Good luck!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
As the yard where the horse is based is still in lockdown we are going on a farm ride. She is bringing a lovely safe horse that I can ride while watching the horse being ridden and then we will swap when/if I want to try it. So will be able to see how he loads, how he is in open spaces etc. Thank you! X

Does this mean you won't get to see all the things equi mentioned (handling on yard, tacking up etc)?

I don't have experience of viewing to buy and I know lockdown makes things logistically tricky but I think I'd be wary of all the things not being seen if you're not going on to the yard (which it sounds like you're not from one of your posts?)

crazyconnie

Visit site
Does this mean you won't get to see all the things equi mentioned (handling on yard, tacking up etc)?

I don't have experience of viewing to buy and I know lockdown makes things logistically tricky but I think I'd be wary of all the things not being seen if you're not going on to the yard (which it sounds like you're not from one of your posts?)
I’ll be tacking him up and grooming him so will be able to see how he is with that, if I like him i will be going back for a second viewing at the yard x

lialls

Visit site
I was told recently to only believe what you see and not what you hear. I think this is quite a good way of establishing if the seller has done all the activities with the horse they says it’s done Etc.

Visit site
I would only add - don't go in with that mindset. There are loads of horses out there who will do the job and you could have fun with.

Totally agree with not going in with this mindset. The last two mares ive had I wasnt 100% sure about as didnt get that "is this the one", my hubby has persuaded me on both occasions, they both turned out to be amazing in their own way and I pretty much fell in love with both of them while building our relationship during ownership. I now only own the second mare but I wouldnt part with her for all the money in the world.

Green Bean

Visit site
Don't get caught up in the moment. i have bought 2 horses in the last 3 plus years. The first after a very lengthy time away from horses so was embarrassed by my riding style but was completely besotted with the horse before I arrived. There was nothing wrong with her, in fact there was a lot right, but she was simply too much horse for me. Second time, thought, right this is going to strictly be by the head!! Watched it being tacked up and ridden, got on and she wasn't at all comfortable (I was looking for the armchair canter after the previous one's elevated paces). Got off without even trying to jump her and said she wasn't for me. On the drive home, I reflected what was good about her, and I had already survived a previous horse who was 'too much horse' for me, so surely this one would be fine. Brought the knowledgeable friend with, tried her jumping, bought her (had arranged for the vet to come on same day). Two weeks later, the mis truths came out - she couldn't hack on her own, she napped, reared, went ballistic when a medium truck drove past - all the things I didn't want! I asked the friend to jump her so I could take photos and sell her straight on. Took a deep breath, and now almost 2 years later, couldn't love her more. She has blossomed with good care, stable routine, has taught my daughter to ride and jump and is simply the nicest person when she isn't trying to kill other horses if they dare look at her, gotta love a mare!