First timer - need some advice please

Bri

Visit site
Hi all,

So despite being a lurker on hho for some time, this is the first time I've ventured into the breeding board and would really appreciate some advice please?

Have just had a vet confirm a BOGOF on the mare we bought at the end of Nov - estimated that she probably has a month or so left to go. I have some questions that will probably seem really stupid, so I apologise in advance!

The mare is currently out with two geldings, they are a really close knit little group and don't do very well if seperated, much to my annoyance! I'm now bringing the mare in at night (which means the other two have to come in as well) and they're kept in a dutch barn. The stables are quite open with railings in between them - will she be alright foaling with the two geldings so close by?

The boys tend to bully her a bit out in the field and I would like to seperate her from them but she gets very stressed out and charges around calling for them - I'm worried that this will do more harm to her and the foal then just leaving her out with the geldings?

Finally, one of the geldings unfortunately has to be put down. Am I better off waiting until she has foaled to do this, as again I'm worried about putting her under stress whilst she is pregnant. I know it's not supposed to be good for pregnant women, but have no idea if this extends to horses as well :confused:

Thanks very much in advance for any help :)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If she's bullied, separate her, and get a kindly pony mare companion for her. I would not put her and the foal out with the geldings, because of the bullying.

Time to also ween everyone off each other. And I'd put the gelding down now if it needs doing.

Bri

Visit site
Thanks Amymay. Would definitely have seperated her once the foal arrives, was just worried about doing so beforehand.

To be honest its the gelding who's being pts who is the worst so I think once he's out of the equation the others will be fine.

Thanks for your advice.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Agree with AM.

I'd also make sure the sides of her box are filled in so foal can't roll under the rails/gates as that would be sure to cause distress all around particularly if horse in next box decided to kill it (which could well happen) and also make sure the others can't get their heads over the side walls to lean over, that's very off putting for them. You need to make everything as safe as you can from the start; there is nothing worse than having an accident which could have been avoidable with some thought for the physical and mental health of both mare and foal.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Bri

Visit site
Thanks for your help Maesfen.

Stable walls are all solid brick, it's just the front wall that has railings on top half. Wasn't sure how private they liked to be and whether it would distress her if the other horses could see her. There's no horses stabled either side, just one directly opposite.

Thanks again.

templewood

Visit site
Agree that it would be best to have the gelding PTS now if it's necessary.

Don't assume that the mare will foal at night in the stable, or that you'll have much indication that it's about to happen. Mostly you do, sometimes you don't. So seperate her from the gelding ASAP. You don't really want her foaling in the field with the gelding.

jools123

Visit site
if one gelding needs putting to sleep do it now. then keep an eye on her with just the one you are right they may be more settled together. if they are i would not separate before the foal is born or even after! they are heard animals and i would just give the foal a couple of days to find its legs and learn to run about then let it live as nature intended in a herd albeit a small one:D

elijahasgal

Visit site
Once your girl foals, I promise you for several days she wont be worried about the gelding being seperate from her. When she goes to foal, she will want to be alone.
I do run my mare and foal with others, but only if the others respect her. This year I had to split the respectful 2yo filly away, as she was too intensely fascinated in the foal, and when he went to play was there, and scaring him. She is still out with another 4yo, and I have run with my old gelding many times, as he is brilliant with the foals!
But give her space, and destress time, If they are that clingy, divide the field with electric so they can still see and touch, but be aware that the foals are clueless about it, and can/do go through it. Much better if you can have them in neighbouring fields where they can see/touch each other, graze either side of the fence. And yes, stables, make sure foal cant escape, as they do things you wouldnt believe!

kimberleigh

Visit site
My mare delivered a suprise BOGOF foal during the night 2 weeks ago, just hours after I had the vet out to do a blood test to confirm pregnancy or not!! She showed no signs of labour at all beforehand (I checked on her at 9.30pm) and when I arrived at 7am the next morning she had delivered a strong healthy filly foal!! Even the vet said if she was pregnant it would be a good few weeks yet lol. She delivered the foal in the field with her 2 field companions present - both geldings aged 2&3. She didn't go off alone and instead chose to deliver with the boys close by. When I got

kimberleigh

Visit site
Oops pressed send too soon!

When I got there the next day I brought mare and foal into the stable to keep an eye on them. They were turned out when it was dry and brought in when bad weather, in every night. The mare was happy to stay in her own paddock for the first 2 days but after that kept breaking through all the fences to get to the boys so they were all allowed in together again. They all get on wonderfully with the mare being the boss! Mare and foal still come in when weather is bad but mare is happier out with her friends

Kim

Cobiau Cymreig Wyllt

Visit site
Someone I know had moved all her stock to her new place and temporarily one of her brood mares was in with a bunch of 7 geldings. She'd got her dates mixed up and thought she wasn't due for a couple of months, as normally she'd have been in with another broodie to foal down with...she got caught out and got a call from her OH to say the foal had arrived and when we got there, the poor mare was dementedly driving off the nosy geldings whilst the foal languished, looking a bit sickly.
There was a protracted scene of rounding up these over-excited geldings to get them away and against fading January light and sodden fields, the best we could do temporarily was to bring the trailer into the field, get the mare and foal into the trailer whilst the geldings were dealt with...eventually in the relative calm and dark of the trailer, the foal was finally able to suckle..and we were eventually able to get them from there into a dry barn. The geldings were so determined to play 'uncle' though, they kept breaking through the leccy tape to loom over the barn door - it was funny with hindsight but quite stressful at the time! :rolleyes:
The foal flourished beautifully once the mare had the peace and quiet she needed.
Hopefully you can avoid a scenario like this one with a bit of foresight, it was needlessly stressful really. Good luck, keep us posted! ;)