First Unaff Dressage Show eeekkkk

special_k

Visit site
So some background.... I have a 10yr old ex racer whom I plan to compete in dressage.

We have been having lessons and he is coming on leaps and bounds. When I got him two years ago, he couldn't even canter on the right rein - quite a common thing apparently for the ex racer.

I have been competing in online dressage and doing well (65% +) in Intro and Prelim. I have taken him to various arenas to school in.

I have now decided it's time to try a real show..... but I am so worried as he is very sensitive and I know how tense/stressed I get at shows!

I guess what I am wondering is how can I ensure the day goes smoothly and I don't have a complete breakdown as this is fun after all!

Thanks, xx

ruthsimms

Visit site
Have a realistic goal in mind - pick one of the movements from the test that you'll be really pleased with and aim to do it the best you can. Something like one of the trot to canter transitions or a perfect circle, something that you've worked really hard to achieve. Go through your previous score sheets and look at the judge's comments, was there anything in particular you could have done to achieve higher marks?

Go with the idea of having fun no matter what and make a really big fuss of him when you've done the test. Remember he takes his lead from you so if you're happy and relaxed and having fun he will too.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Good luck, your do fine. I do dressage on Heavy Cob, difficult but fun. One thing I learnt this weekend is to remember to check your sheets. This weekend I came fifth, my sheet had been added wrong, I should have been third. Never mind, lesson learnt.

Pinkatc

Visit site
Maybe if you feel stressed you could try some rescue remedy? I've used it for my driving test, exams and shows. Either that or take a cheeky swig of vodka in the lorry before you get in the saddle :D

nikCscott

Visit site
Make a list of everything you need and tick it off as you pack it. One show I forgot my hat and Jods and my bridle, ridiculous!!

I forgot my saddle once! So now 15 years on I still make a list.

Just have fun as my husband would say- "no ones going to die or get pregnant" I don't completely understand it, but it makes me smile and relax :)

JB George

Visit site
Hello,
I totally understand your situation with your ex racers 1st live dressage outing. I took mine (12 year old ex NH boy) last September to a Unaffiliated dressage comp to do a Prelim, with the main aim being to just stay in the ring! I should add that i properly prepared, and he was well capable of prelims. We got 49% but learnt loads...not so much from the "scales of training" but from an experience point of view. The poor sod did think he was back at Aintree rather than doing P19 tho'!
What i did from there is take him to a dressage comp at least every month and desensitize him. He now has no problems whats so ever with horses doing all sorts of things in the warm up or in the arena next to him and actually finds it quite boring. Also his scores have gone up to 64% and we both really enjoy it.
Three main points that have helped are the lovely/sympathetic organisers of Step Aside Dressage in East Sussex who have helped and encouraged us all the way, a bloody good dressage instructor and you have to remember that the world won't end if you cock up that certain canter transisition...it is meant to be fun after all! Enjoy and let us know how it goes.

labruyere

Visit site
I always say to my clients when they set off for their first test...

the aim is to get there and back in one piece
if you don't fall off... that's a bonus!!! ;)

ie treat the first one purely as a means of gaining experience,
take all the pressure you can off yourself,
you will (in all probability) be a gibbering heap,
but once you've got the first one under your belt you'll be SO much more able to cope subsequently

IF YOU CAN, get someone you know (who's good at it) to read your test for you...
the combination of a friendly and familiar voice/face with the 'back up' of the test being read - should your mind suddenly 'go blank' - really helps the nerves..

and brief them to double up on the pre-test check list for you, e.g. gloves on, bandages/boots off etc...

JB George - Totally relate to the 'stay in the ring goal', I still vividly remember the day when I first managed to keep my old TB inside the boards for a whole test... success is sometimes measured in small steps! :D

above all... BREATHE AND SMILE..!