First visit to Horsepital, what to expect?

Damnation

Visit site
My horse has suspected sinusitis.

She's had a runny nose and there is a slight swelling and heat beside her eye/bridge of her nose that I think is where the infection is. (She has swabbed clear for strangles!)

She's been on antibiotics which has cleared the snot and swelling to a degree but not fully.

My vet has referred me to a horsepital for head Xrays and if they confirm sinusitis, her sinuses flushed.

This is the first time I have ever had to deal with anything on this scale, I've been lucky in that in 10 years of horse ownership I've had the odd cut and scrape but never needed a Horsepital visit!

What should I expect? Is there anything I need to bring like buckets, rugs, feed, hay etc? I'm not sure if she is staying over night yet but I am going to presume she will be.

meleeka

Visit site
It's like a 5 star hotel for horses! You don't need to take anything other than rugs and usual feed if they are staying in (I don't think I took feed though as it's not asked for and my boy is very straightforward). Take a friend as they'll be lots of waiting around and some refreshments.
They may ask you to hold the horse for investigations or they may have a nurse to do it, but your horse will be put in a stable while she's waiting for her turn.

I love going to horspital. It's fascinating and full of very expensive horses normally.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
No need for buckets, feed, hay etc unless you have some specific requirement. I left mine with a headcollar and rope and a rug. That was it. They didn't want personal stuff floating round to be lost.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I'd be surprised if they want anything taken with her unless you want to take her own hay and food for a specific reason. They don't usually even keep the head collar. I would expect you'll get a letter telling you what you need to know.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
What they ^ said with regards they don't normally want you to bring anything other than the horse. We did take a bridle for Topaz for her work up just in case she was naughty, but nothing else.

To add with the sinusitis though, if you're not insured they can x-ray the head with a portable machine. We went through this with Skylla with almost the exact symptoms of swelling, but a gungy eye and nothing coming out of her nostril rather than a snotty nose, she wasn't insured so we x-rayed at home before sending her to hors'pital to try and keep cost down a little if she did need it flushing.

She ended with an abscess from a skull fracture (kick to the head) rather than needing her sinuses to be flushed thankfully, just thought I'd share in case it's relevant for you.

Damnation

Visit site
Thanks guys,

If they wanted her to be fed I'd have to provide it as she is prone to colitis so certain feeds/hayledge set her off with the squits.

Thanks Alex for that. Because of where I live our vets are a Farm practice and he fully admitted to me that they can do routine things like teeth, cuts and colic but anything further than that they refer to another vets to take over, but she is insured so hopefully I won't be too financially crippled!

LaurenBay

Visit site
I had a trip to Horsepital in Feb and they had everything I could need. The only thing I took with me was her traveling stuff and a spare stable rug in case it turned into an overnight visit. I guess some spare hard feed in case of an emergency stay would be a good idea too.

eggs

Visit site
I've been to Newmarket and the RVC a few times. Have never taken anything other than the horse. Haven't been to RVC for a few years but the last few times I've been to Newmarket they've not even wanted a headcollar leaving.