Fit, trapped nerve not sure quite what happened

JoannaC

Visit site
I brought my retired mare out of the stable this evening (they are in during the day) for a brush before turning them out. I was leading round to tie her up and she stopped dead started shaking and fell down. She got straight back up and was completely fine as if nothing had happened. If it was a fit or stroke I'd have thought she wouldn't have been normal so quickly. She's eating, cantered across the field and you wouldn't know anything had happened. I will ring the vet tomorrow to see what they think but just wondered if anyone had experienced similar. Nothing like this has ever happened before. She's 20 and been completely retired for about five years and previously in and out of light work due to a field accident when she was 8.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I brought my retired mare out of the stable this evening (they are in during the day) for a brush before turning them out. I was leading round to tie her up and she stopped dead started shaking and fell down. She got straight back up and was completely fine as if nothing had happened. If it was a fit or stroke I'd have thought she wouldn't have been normal so quickly. She's eating, cantered across the field and you wouldn't know anything had happened. I will ring the vet tomorrow to see what they think but just wondered if anyone had experienced similar. Nothing like this has ever happened before. She's 20 and been completely retired for about five years and previously in and out of light work due to a field accident when she was 8.
No personal experience but a friend just had to have her oldie pts as he did the same. He fel to the floor with some kind of fit. He then got up but wasn't with it at all. After a few minutes he was back to normal. She made the decision to pts as she couldn't bare the thought of him falling again and not being able to get up. Luckily she was there that time. I hope you can find the issue.

JoannaC

Visit site
No personal experience but a friend just had to have her oldie pts as he did the same. He fel to the floor with some kind of fit. He then got up but wasn't with it at all. After a few minutes he was back to normal. She made the decision to pts as she couldn't bare the thought of him falling again and not being able to get up. Luckily she was there that time. I hope you can find the issue.
I will do the same if it was a fit as was thinking the same or she could injure me if i'd been standing in the wrong the place. She was so instantly better though whereas horses i've witnessed fitting previously have stayed down fitting before getting up whereas she shook almost like she was terrified fell down and got straight back up. She seems absolutely fine this morning. I will monitor her and then speak to vet tomorrow as she seems fine (forgot it was bank holiday today).

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I will do the same if it was a fit as was thinking the same or she could injure me if i'd been standing in the wrong the place. She was so instantly better though whereas horses i've witnessed fitting previously have stayed down fitting before getting up whereas she shook almost like she was terrified fell down and got straight back up. She seems absolutely fine this morning. I will monitor her and then speak to vet tomorrow as she seems fine (forgot it was bank holiday today).
Hope you find the cause, very worrying for you.

maya2008

Visit site
This happened to my old mare, at first infrequently, then more often and we had to pts. It was calcification of vertebrae on her spine, putting pressure on her spinal cord when she turned.

JoannaC

Visit site
This happened to my old mare, at first infrequently, then more often and we had to pts. It was calcification of vertebrae on her spine, putting pressure on her spinal cord when she turned.
That sounds more like it as she was turning and with all her previous injuries it would make sense.

JoannaC

Visit site
So after chatting to one vet i had decided to PTS but then talked to my chiropractor who suggested getting the senior vet out who came today and he didn't think it was a seizure but more like she tensed up when about to go past the new boy and tweaked something so she is now on bute and will have chiropractor and physio and we'll see how she goes. She was in season when it happened and she has always been border line dangerous with her over reactions when in season so thinking the combination of going bonkers in the field the day before and being in longer that day lead to the problem. So she has a reprieve for the time being.